Windows 10

Geoff

VIP Member
I don't have it running yet, but from the screenshots I really like the new start menu.

Troncoso

VIP Member
I think the new start menu is gross.

I agree. The start menu in Win7 is perfect. When Win8 rolled around people simply asked to have the start menu back, not to change it. There are some things that just don't need re-inventing.

I hate their mobile/touch screen-centric focus. It benefits PC users in no way.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I'm going to have to see if ClassicShell will work with it. ClassicShell with the Aero theme is good enough for me.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been unable to try it,Both VMware and Virtualbox is throwing up an error saying that Intel VT-x IS disabled?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Just installed it on my daughters pc. It's okay, but I don't like the start menu. Will have to try classic shell and see if thats any better.

Troncoso

VIP Member
I've been unable to try it,Both VMware and Virtualbox is throwing up an error saying that Intel VT-x IS disabled?

It's generally disabled in the BIOS by default. At least, for the past 5 PC's or so that I've been installing a x64 CentOS VM on has had it disabled.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member

Yeah, check that it's enabled in the BIOS. I had Hyper-V installed and could only get 32-bit selections with Virtualbox. Had to uninstall Hyper-V before I could use 64-bit.

FuryRosewood

I modified the stuff on the 'metro/modern' to use stuff i mostly use, and it *almost* is like having Windows 7 again. Dont need Start8 or Classic shell, I pinned Control Panel and This PC (Same thing as my computer) and its good to go, i just wish the metro things didnt auto arrange.

Win10TechPreview.png

spirit

Staff member
I've posted my desktop screenshot in the desktop screenshot thread.

I like the Start Menu - I prefer it to the one in Windows 7 actually. I can pin the apps I use most to it very easily and it can be as tall or as wide as I want it.

The OS feels stable. There's only a few minor problems I've come across. Everything I've installed works apart from the touchpad gestures.

I'm impressed for such an early build! :good:

Troncoso

VIP Member
I get the feeling that a majority of us don't even use apps for that metro crap to be useful. You could easily pin commonly used programs to the Win7 start menu as well, so that's nothing new. Not sure why they need to change size...

salvage-this

If you use the live tiles for Weather, news it can be kinda handy. I much perfer live tiles to the gadgets in 7.

If you unpin all of the apps from that section, no extra space is reserved. It just shows the section for the standard start menu. I don't really see any reason to complain about the tiles being included in start. if you don't need them, remove them.

Jiniix

If this is a release. How long will you be able to use it?

196 days from today.

Just installed it on one of my work laptops, and I really dig the new start menu.
I haven't played around with it much, but it looks like they actually listened to desktop power users and implemented non-stupid things and removed even more stupid things.
I'm officially hooked. And for the pricing, I might actually buy this OS! I've read a few various reports, stating that it should be free for Windows 8.1 users and $30 for Windows 7 users, but some claim completely free and some always $30. Either way, sounds like it's going to be cheap this time.

spirit

Staff member
If you use the live tiles for Weather, news it can be kinda handy. I much perfer live tiles to the gadgets in 7.

If you unpin all of the apps from that section, no extra space is reserved. It just shows the section for the standard start menu. I don't really see any reason to complain about the tiles being included in start. if you don't need them, remove them.

+1 on all points. :)

For those who are wondering, this version of the Windows 10 Preview will expire on April 16th 2015 at 00:59.

Last edited:

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Things i don't like about Windows 10 preview.

1.Still have to use a Windows live account,Cant use a Local account straight away..i know you can create a local after but its a lot of faff if you don't want to use your Live account.

2.Swipe screen before the login,Its still there..this to me is just another useless thing.

3.No "Classic theme".

What i do like
1)That its took me straight to the Desktop,No silly Metro

2)Start menu is "somewhat" back,much better.

Other than that,Doesn't seem all that much different from Windows 8.1,Will be interesting to see what they do further to Windows 10.

salvage-this

you can make a local account first. It is a bit hidden, but go to where you would create a live account there is a link at the bottom to create a local account first.

strollin

1.Still have to use a Windows live account,Cant use a Local account straight away..i know you can create a local after but its a lot of faff if you don't want to use your Live account. ...
I keep reading this regarding both Win 8 and Win 10 yet I have never had a problem using a local account on either OS. I'll agree that MS doesn't make it obvious during install how to create a local account and really pushes you in the direction of an MS account but if you click on "Create Account" during install, there is a link at the bottom of that screen that says "Use Local Account" or something similar.

The only issue I have encountered using a local account is that since Win 8.1 the OS won't let you use OneDrive without setting up an MS account. There are ways around that (I personally use a little program called SyncDriver for OneDrive).

Of course you have to use an MS account in the store but that's not a biggie to me.

spirit

Staff member

1.Still have to use a Windows live account,Cant use a Local account straight away..i know you can create a local after but its a lot of faff if you don't want to use your Live account.

When you install it and it asks you for a Windows account (or whatever it is), click 'Create a new one' and then 'Log in with local account' (or similar - I forget the exact wording now).

I discovered just before I had to deliver a presentation about Office 365 to a bunch of 11/12 year olds that my phone doesn't want to pair to my ThinkPad using Bluetooth under Windows 10 (the relevance being that I used my phone to remotely control the PowerPoint in previous presentations I did) and my touchpad gestures still don't work even with newest Synaptics driver.

And for some reason I can't use the scroll wheel on my mouse in Photoshop to move around the document.

Apart from those rather minor flaws all seems to be good. :)

Okedokey

Yeah, I think it is good. Exactly the same as 8.1 in many ways, but in others its just better. Installed in minutes, and is much faster on my laptop.