Windows 10

spirit

Staff member
It installed in about ten minutes on the SSD in my ThinkPad. :)

Gone are the days where it takes an hour to install Windows... apart from if you're having to upgrade from 8 to 8.1 via the Windows Store. Had to reinstall a Dell over the weekend and for various licensing reasons I had to install 8 first and then upgrade to 8.1 through the Store. Took ages! Why did Microsoft decide to use different product keys for 8.1? :mad:

spirit

Staff member
For those who preferred Windows 8's Start Screen to the new Start Menu in Windows 10, you can enable it again by right clicking on Taskbar -> Properties -> Start Menu.

Win10_zps3a7b2ad5.png

It's disabled by default on non-touch devices such as desktops and laptops. Would be interesting to see if it's disabled or enabled on my desktop with a touch screen monitor!

Agent Smith

Isn't the reason why the install only too 10 minutes is due to this being a preview OS?

I'm sticking with 7. I havn't loded it in a VM, but from what I can see based on pics on the net it still has that god awful boxy Win 8 look. I like 7's GUI.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Isn't the reason why the install only too 10 minutes is due to this being a preview OS?

I'm sticking with 7. I havn't loded it in a VM, but from what I can see based on pics on the net it still has that god awful boxy Win 8 look. I like 7's GUI.
Microsoft is not going to go back from the "boxy" UI anytime soon. Windows 8, 8.1, now 10, as well as the Xbox interface, Windows Phone, etc.

Troncoso

VIP Member
Apparently, the preview has a keylogger and other such monitors installed. This is a development version, so it's not a huge deal, but it's something people agreed to when downloading it that they didn't realize.

strollin

For those who preferred Windows 8's Start Screen to the new Start Menu in Windows 10, you can enable it again by right clicking on Taskbar -> Properties -> Start Menu. ...
The one gotcha with this is that you need to log out and log back in for the change to take place. Hope it isn't like that in the final version.

spirit

Staff member
Probably not. This looks like a full OS to me. There doesn't appear to be anything missing, there's just some rough edges that need to be smoothed out.

I installed Windows 8.1 from USB on a HDD yesterday and it only took about 15 minutes. I think 8.1 takes about 10 minutes on an SSD too.

The one gotcha with this is that you need to log out and log back in for the change to take place. Hope it isn't like that in the final version.
Why is that a big problem? It takes seconds to log out and back in.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member

You get over it after installing 8.1 and ClassicShell.

spirit

Staff member
You get over it after installing 8.1 and ClassicShell.

You just get over it once you've used 8.1 for a few hours. There's no need to use Classic Shell in order to 'get over it'.

And you end up finding that actually having the Ribbon UI in Explorer is very handy and you also end up really not caring about the Close, Maximise and Mimimise buttons look.

strollin

strollin said:

Why is that a big problem? It takes seconds to log out and back in.
I don't see where I called it a big problem. Regardless, don't see why it should be necessary to log out/in. Based on comments I've read on other forms many others don't like the way it's implemented.

spirit

Staff member
Update: I upgraded to the latest build (9860) and it seems like the problems I had with the touchpad gestures and using the scroll wheel to pan around documents in Photoshop have been fixed. Not tried Bluetooth yet though.

linkin

VIP Member
Windows 10 Technical Preview

Who else is running it? I have it at home and at work. Liking it so far. Hate the "modern" apps/interface, but the rest is good, save for silly things like "recent files/folders" in explorer and other unnecessary junk. Other than UI stuff it seems like a solid OS. Haven't had any stability issues yet. All my hardware/software works.

The new start menu is even good once you unpin in the garbage modern "apps" and remove them from your frequently used programs. It's actually usable!

I'm sad that some settings are buried within the "modern" interface though.

What's your experience been so far?

spirit

Staff member
When it first came out last October we had a discussion about it here: http://www.computerforum.com/230819-windows-10-a.html

The first build (9841) was stable but on my Lenovo ThinkPad Bluetooth and the touchpad gestures didn't work. Upgraded to 9860 and it was all good and then upgraded to 9879 and it was pretty similar. I'll be upgrading to the new build when it comes out on the 21st (this is the first Microsoft-released, ie non-leaked, build with the new NT 10.0 kernel rather than 6.4 which builds 9841, 9860 and 9879 used). I also hear that the first Windows Phone 10 beta will be available, but I'll stick with Phone 8.1 on my Nokia I think until the final version comes out. :)

Apparently the build that is coming out on the 21st is in fact the Consumer Preview: http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-what-to-expect-in-the-consumer-preview I reckon the RTM will come out around April time.

I'm looking forward to the upgrade - I like 8.1 a lot already so I think 10 will be just as good, if not better. :good:

spirit

Staff member
Which is this thread here. :rolleyes:

Hmmm, this was in its own new thread... a mod must have moved Linkin's post into this thread.

The title of Linkin's post ('Windows 10 Technical Preview') was the title of the thread before his post was moved into this thread.

Last edited:

tremmor

Microsoft windows 10

Lots of info coming out today about and features. you can check out microsoft.com, cnet and local newspapers. Even said : All owners of devices running Windows 7, Windows 8 or 8.1 will get a free upgrade to Windows 10 for the first year. but did not see anything about pricing yet. Just curious. hasn't been released yet. Im still using 7 Pro and works fine but might be willing to try it.