Windows 10

spirit

Staff member
Just watched the live stream. I missed a big chunk on the gaming stuff but the holographic stuff was incredible, as was Office 365 on Windows Phones and the seamless switching between desktop and tablet modes. Spartan looks very good too! I am very excited about Windows 10 indeed! :good:

New build comes out next week I think. They were using Build 9924 in the event today, I think we may see Build 10000 next week.

This has given me lots of good stuff to talk about on Saturday when I present to Microsoft in London!!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So are they saying that after the first year that it will subscription based after that? Or are they saying that users have a year to upgrade for free? Seems confusing.

silv55

What is the minimum Hardware to install Win 10 ? and you say that is free for one year! what the hack is that! i only have a Windows7 Image CD that i made,i don't have Product key, no factory Cd for re-install win 7, if i don't like it or if you have to pay too much, and in this situation there are many people,so i wouldn't risk my Present Win 7 for Win 10 free, one year uncertainty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL5eJPphf0c

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
What is the minimum Hardware to install Win 10 ?

Processor: 1 GHz or faster
RAM: 1 GB (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
Free hard disk space: 16 GB
Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

i only have a Windows 7 Image CD that i made,i don't have Product key, no factory Cd for re-install win 7, if i don't like it or if you have to pay too much, and in this situation there are many people,so i wouldn't risk my Present Win 7 for Win 10 free, one year uncertainty

That's why keyfinders exist :cool:

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

tremmor

So are they saying that after the first year that it will subscription based after that? Or are they saying that users have a year to upgrade for free? Seems confusing.

Good question and read a few times John. Sounds like ya get it and yours.

Delivering Windows as a Service and a Free Upgrade to Windows 10

Today was a monumental day for us on the Windows team because we shared our desire to redefine the relationship we have with you – our customers. We announced that a free upgrade for Windows 10 will be made available to customers running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 who upgrade in the first year after launch.*

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no cost. With Windows 10, the experience will evolve and get even better over time. We’ll deliver new features when they’re ready, not waiting for the next major release. We think of Windows as a Service – in fact, one could reasonably think of Windows in the next couple of years as one of the largest Internet services on the planet.

silv55

Good question and read a few times John. Sounds like ya get it and yours.

Delivering Windows as a Service and a Free Upgrade to Windows 10

Today was a monumental day for us on the Windows team because we shared our desire to redefine the relationship we have with you – our customers. We announced that a free upgrade for Windows 10 will be made available to customers running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 who upgrade in the first year after launch.*

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no cost. With Windows 10, the experience will evolve and get even better over time. We’ll deliver new features when they’re ready, not waiting for the next major release. We think of Windows as a Service – in fact, one could reasonably think of Windows in the next couple of years as one of the largest Internet services on the planet.

Maybe this is a trap,once people upgrade to win 10, special folks with win 7 installed can't go back to win 7!and have to buy the licence.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe this is a trap,once people upgrade to win 10, special folks with win 7 installed can't go back to win 7!and have to buy the licence.

You an always reinstall windows 7 as long as you have the activation key. Windows 10 seems promising.

silv55

Doesn't mean keyfinder won't find the Windows key.

Thank voyagerfan99; i was able to get the key for Win7 home premium sp1
it gave me Product ID#,CD Key# and Product Part#.

Should i trust this key# that the Keyfinder gave me?if this is right, that's pretty cool.
if make an iso of win7 will it accept this key?and how can i test the key#without erasing win7 already installed,thanks

also the mentioned Win10 is just a Preview!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2690...ical-preview-everything-you-need-to-know.html

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The key that the keyfinder program gave you for windows 7 will work providing its not an OEM machine like Dell or HP. If its an OEM machine then you would have to use the key that is on the sticker on the bottom of laptop or on the side of the case of a desktop.

silv55

The key that the keyfinder program gave you for windows 7 will work providing its not an OEM machine like Dell or HP. If its an OEM machine then you would have to use the key that is on the sticker on the bottom of laptop or on the side of the case of a desktop.

Thanks Johnb35; I pasted here what are the results of the keyfinder.
i marked the Key with x's for privacy.

Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1
Product Part No.: X15-37379
Installed from 'OEM' media.
Product ID: 40359-OEM-8999667-19010 match to CD Key data
CD Key: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Computer Name: HP-PC
Registered Owner: HP
Registered Organization:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Does the key listed match what is listed on the sticker on the bottom of the laptop?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Providing the sticker on the bottom says windows 7 then you have to use the key that is on the sticker. The key that jelly bean gave you is a volume license key for OEM's. It will not work if you use a standard windows 7 install cd to activate. All OEM's are like that, thats why you have they key on the sticker. If that sticker ever becomes unreadable and you don't have that number written down anywhere then you will need recovery cd's or will need to purchase a new license.

silv55

Providing the sticker on the bottom says windows 7 then you have to use the key that is on the sticker. The key that jelly bean gave you is a volume license key for OEM's. It will not work if you use a standard windows 7 install cd to activate. All OEM's are like that, thats why you have they key on the sticker. If that sticker ever becomes unreadable and you don't have that number written down anywhere then you will need recovery cd's or will need to purchase a new license.

You mean if i install a win7 from an Iso cd it will not activate with this key?

i'm not worried about it as long as the Hard Drive is good,because i made an Image Recovery repair CD of win 7,i can't use the key on the bottom of the HP laptop cause it's Win Vista,besides i don't like Win Vista I prefer Ubuntu by a long shot.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, you just answered one of my questions. The sticker says Vista, so of course the keys will be different. So the key that jellybean gave you is the correct key. You can use it to reactivate that copy of windows 7.

silv55

Ok, you just answered one of my questions. The sticker says Vista, so of course the keys will be different. So the key that jellybean gave you is the correct key. You can use it to reactivate that copy of windows 7.

Thanks Johnb35; well if you're right! when Win 10 comes up with a free upgrade for Win7 which i doubt,since Microsoft is a money Angry,i only believe when i see it, maybe i try it nothing too loose,i appreciate it .

2048Megabytes

Windows 10 doesn't look appealing to me. I don't like the in your face advertising Microsoft is pushing into their operating systems since Windows 8. Windows 10 looks like they are implementing these same features. The operating system is beginning to look like their www.msn.com website and there is a reason I avoid their website.

There is great software out there to restore the graphic user interface to the classic Windows 7 look which may make it tolerable.

Now I have a question. How stable is the Windows 10 operating system?