Windows 10

spirit

Staff member
I have free Office 2013 from school. I should try out OneNote. Totally forgot about that program, would probably be useful.
Yeah it's great. If you have any questions about it drop me a PM. I'm OneNote 2013 certified (OneNote 2013 MOS). :)

Darren

Staff member
Yeah it's great. If you have any questions about it drop me a PM. I'm OneNote 2013 certified (OneNote 2013 MOS). :)

Took me about 5 mins using it before I completely switched over from writing my notes. I'd tried Word in the past but it was obnoxious about formatting so I gave up as I spent more time fighting the software rather than paying attention.

beers

Staff member
Ughhhhhhh it annoys me so much, installed Windows with a local account. The second you sign into the Xbox app it forces your Windows install to use the MS account.

Why do those two have to be related? There's no reason it can't just store the Xbox credentials itself without screwing with my local account... :eek:

WhoX

Out of all the software I have installed, OneNote is the one I use the most. I don't know what I'd do without it.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Great to see other members loving OneNote, it is fantastic and often underrated! ;)

Just wondering if anybody here is having issues with Google Chrome on Windows 10. On my desktop it is crashing constantly but on my ThinkPad it seems fine. I've got a friend with a Surface who says that Chrome crashes a lot under Windows 10 for him too. Anybody else here experiencing issues? I've only got two extensions installed (AdBlock and Web of Trust) and haven't had any issues before - tried the usual cleaning cache etc and might have to reinstall Chrome if the issue persists. Crashes about 10 times per day, quite randomly.

Darren

Staff member
Great to see other members loving OneNote, it is fantastic and often underrated! ;)

Just wondering if anybody here is having issues with Google Chrome on Windows 10. On my desktop it is crashing constantly but on my ThinkPad it seems fine. I've got a friend with a Surface who says that Chrome crashes a lot under Windows 10 for him too. Anybody else here experiencing issues? I've only got two extensions installed (AdBlock and Web of Trust) and haven't had any issues before - tried the usual cleaning cache etc and might have to reinstall Chrome if the issue persists. Crashes about 10 times per day, quite randomly.

Had zero problems with Chrome on both of my machines.

Darren

Staff member
This OS, in my opinion, should require or strongly encourage a clean install or reset.

The upgrade/update process is convenient, but it causes too many problems. My roommate and I have completely identical laptops. His is his only machine, and mine is my portable machine, so his naturally sees more use and is probably a bit more bogged down. Still though, he moans on a day to day basis about how many problems he has with W10. Hangs, freezes, black screens, drivers, and general sluggishness. Meanwhile mine is practically flawless and feels like a completely different machine than his.

My laptop was of course less bogged down than his when we both had 8.1, but the absolutely insane difference between the two machines now is worth the effort to do a Reset. The amount of time he's wasted waiting on it to cooperate in the span of a few days is probably equivalent to the time needed to just backup and reset and be done with it.

TL DR
"Reset this PC" after upgrading to Windows 10. Just do it.

/endrant

I might just steal his laptop and wipe it myself. :D

Darren

Staff member
Maybe the difference is that you actually know what you're doing :D

True enough. He's not computer illiterate by any means, but he doesn't religiously maintain it like I do. I still standby my wipe/reinstall about once a year for my machines.

Even after me having a whack at tuning it up, it was only moderately less crappy. I sort of wonder if his hard drive is dying. He had issues with it last year for a week or so, such as it locking up and BSOD'ing or refusing to boot entirely. I swapped our drives and his worked fine in my machine, and mine was fine in his. Seatooled his for good measure, and swapped 'em back. Hasn't had the BSOD's since.

What are your guys experience with the upgrade process? I've only seen it done 4 times, 3 of which were my doing.

My webcam driver on my desktop still gets screwed up at various whims, making me sound like Mickey Mouse. Apart from disabling all automatic drivers, which I don't want, is there a way to prevent a driver from installing on one particular piece of hardware?

ssal

I have to chimp in to say all my three machines are fine with the upgrade and after the upgrade. Three different machines three very unique characteristic. A 4-5 year old Toshiba L455 with only 4 gb ram; a small notebook Asus X205TA with only 32 gb emmc and 2 gb ram; and a relatively new Toshiba i7 with 12 gb ram and plenty of SSD space.

I upgraded quite early on and had to revert back to Win 8.1. But looking back, it was my fault because I had not thought through the process. That taught me a lot about subsequent upgrade. The Asus was a challege because of the limited ram and "dish space".

But all of them run well and I am learning more and more of the features (basically stuff that I did in the previous version).

Windows 10 is definitely a winner, particularly when MS is giving it away for free.

spirit

Staff member
This OS, in my opinion, should require or strongly encourage a clean install or reset.
I always recommending doing a clean install of any OS anyway, but you can clean install 10 without buying it. I believe if you do the upgrade to 10 and then do a fresh install using a Windows 10 disc/USB (use the free Windows Media Creator tool which you can download from Microsoft to obtain the ISO and make the USB or DVD), it will be activated and genuine. I'll have to ask dad what the exact steps are because he did it on his laptop, but it is possible.

Jiniix

All of mine has upgraded just fine, but they've never been used for more than activation, then offline reinstall right after. Exactly how spirit describes it.
Upgrade -> Make sure activated -> Format -> Disable automatic driver installation -> Offline install of drivers and apps -> online to activate and Windows Update.

Origin Saint

Maybe this is the wrong place to chime in with a question, but it is relevant to Windows 10 :rolleyes:

So I recently discovered that Cortana is supposedly able to play your music using voice commands. With 22 GB of music, this is a relief, as I get a little tired of using iTunes to search through it sometimes, plus voice control is almost always more fun.

I attempted to use this feature yesterday and encountered all kinds of frustration. When I ask Cortana to play _insert-song-name-here_ or when I ask her to play _insert-song-name-here_ by _insert-band-name-here_, she says "OK playing so-and-so" then says "I'm sorry, there are no so-and-so songs on your device" or something to that effect.

These songs are most definitely on my device, that I can assure you. I have done enough research to know that Cortana, at the moment, basically exclusively interacts with Groove Music. So I told Groove Music where my music was (my 2 TB B:\ drive), and it proceeded to find all my music and sync it up and was able to play any of them. Great, I can get Cortana to control this now! Hold that though, she did the same thing. They're both on the same Microsoft account, I made sure of that, just in case. I also ran a scannow on command prompt to check Windows files, nothing wrong there.

I decided to try copy and pasting some songs from B:\ to the "Music" folder under my "User" account in the C:\ drive and see if it could suddenly find them. What do you know, suddenly Cortana knows where just these few songs are.

So is Cortana really limited enough to only detect songs saved on the same drive as Windows under the Music folder? Seems like a really trivial issue. Anybody have any workarounds or something, besides filling my SSD with songs?

Other than that, I'm loving the Win10 experience! :cool:

beers

Staff member
I'd try a drive letter other than B:, usually A: and B: were specifically used for floppy devices.

spirit

Staff member
Windows RT 8.1 Update 3 came out recently - this update makes RT 8.1 look a little bit like 10 with the Start Menu and so on but is missing some features from 10 such as the ability to run modern apps windowed.

I brought a Surface RT first generation home from school today to upgrade to RT 8.1 Update 3 but it turns out this was one of the RTs I reinstalled a while ago and just left (it's probably one of the spare machines), so there's over 200 updates to install before I can put Update 3 on! We have around 200 Surface RTs at school by the way.

Last edited: