windows 8 beta is now out

strollin

Just tried Windows Phone 7 on the my Dad's new Nokia Lumina 710. The whole "Metro" UI works really well for Phone 7 on the smartphone and I imagine it also works well for the tablets, but it just doesn't work on a 24" monitor with Windows 8... :( Nice concept for mobile devices, but not good for the desktop. ...
I've seen this same statement over and over about Metro "doesn't work on a desktop monitor". While I'm not a fan of the Metro interface, it seems to work fine on my desktop. I have all the tiles set to small so they're all uniform in size and I uninstalled virtually all of the Metro apps since they are pretty pathetic. I can scroll back and forth with the mouse and can add as many new tiles as I wish. It is completely functional although ugly and I spend very little time using Metro since I almost always click on the desktop tile and use Win 8 from there. Metro might be OK if it was more customizable.

I don't miss the Start menu in Win 8 much since I rarely use it in other versions of Windows either. I prefer to add links to my desktop, then hide the icons and use a desktop toolbar on the taskbar to be able to access my apps.

scopestech

banned
windows 8 beta is now out and i downloaded it,it is available from the microsoft site,2.3gb,took me 15-20minutes at 2mb per sec,thats fast.
im going to put it on a flashdrive and install it on a spare harddrive to try out,its good until jan 2013,thats like a year.

anyone else download it and try it out yet?

I hated every piece of it. I loved it to start with, until it wouldnt run any programs of mine that needed net framework, then decided to bar me out of my other operating system (XP OEM) and then decided, once I ran recovery disks for XP, to kill my entire pc off and just tell me that windows 8 did not exist on boot.

I will be sticking with my 5 favourite OS for a lot longer methinks!

Windows 2000 Server (x86) \
Windows XP MCE (x86) | ONE PC, Multi O.S
Windows 7 Pro (x32) /
Windows 7 Starter x64 (Netbook)
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 (Laptop)

MyCattMaxx

I hated every piece of it. I loved it to start with, until it wouldnt run any programs of mine that needed net framework,
I added the .net framework versions I needed.
It comes with V4.
I have V2, 3, 3.5 and 4 IIRC, I'm not at that comp to check.

spirit

Staff member
scopestech said:
it wouldnt run any programs of mine that needed net framework
It runs all my software OK inside VMware, so not sure what your problem is. My software is fairly new though, I'm talking about stuff like Visual Studio 2010 and Office 2007 and 2010. It comes with .NET Framework 4.0 so should work with anything that uses that or less.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
That is one of the reason why I make programs under .NET 1.0 so that people do not need to always install the newest versions and their service packs.