windows 8 beta is now out

wolfeking

banned
Pretty much everything about windows 8 has been said here within the first 5 pages.

If there is a real problem here, I am sure that one of the mods could move the post onto a thread of their own.

MyCattMaxx

I don't mind people doing a little off topic, but STARS has gone way over the top in this thread.

I see a new post has been made and just find it is more crap about XP.
It's kind of a let down.

STARS could just start a thread about why XP is so great.

MyCattMaxx

I took my W8 comp and dropped the RAM to 1 gig.
It still boots and shuts down quicker than W7.

I am going to drop it to 512 megs later and see what happens.

I am wondering if one of my older comps will be able to run this where I had issues trying W7 on it.

wolfeking

banned
there is always a possibly that it will boot when 7 wont. But 7 will boot on 256MB with DX7 graphics and a 2.53GHz P4m.

Do you mean 10-15 years from now? If so, getting 20-25 years from an OS is unheard of.

The reason people like XP is because it just works. Especially in corporate environments, which are still primarily running XP, there is no need to change to Windows 7 when your current OS works just fine and handles all the apps you need. Licensing is also more of a pain with Windows 7.
Yes it is, but still it won't work for long anymore.Yes it is, but still it won't work for long anymore.
I like ALL Microsoft Windows operating systems.They are ALL great to me and there is not a SINGLE ONE I hate lol.

But Windows XP is the best to me for many reasons.Some of them are normal,some of them are stupid and some of them are weird.Of course that is just me lol.Here are few:

-Windows XP was the last OS that fits on the CD-ROM disk...
(Like I said...weird reasons:D)

-It has built-in nice and useful things...
(Nice and useful tools which you can use without using extra programs)

-It is compatible with almost any software...
(Most of the things work great on it with no problems.And if in the future programs stop supporting XP,there are still TONS of software for the same thing)

-It has nice classic look...
(It has nice classic look which is almost the same as the one from Windows 95/98 and you can also modify it to look the way you want to)

-Many things are easy to perform and easily found...
(The organization of how things are arranged is simple and logical)

-Problems...
(Easy to fix ANY problem.Of course that's easy on ANY OS if you know how to fix it lol)

-I like using older software to perform something...
(Newest is not always the best :D)

-Habit...
(If you are used to something and it works great and does everything you need great,there is no point in changing it)

-Cost...
(It would be a fortune if I decide to buy a new OS for all computers I have.Especially when here where I live Windows 7 costs around 300 dollars minimum.So 300 x TheNumberOfAllComputersIHave = A LOT OF MONEY)

-Less problems...
(Less problems with the functionality and stability.But I guess that's just me lol)

-It uses a lot less space than newest OS...
(XP uses only around 2 GB when it's installed while newest OS takes more.Sure that's not a problem for you,but imagine your HDD is 30 GB lol)

-Visual Studio 2002 support...
(Older versions of Visual Studio INCLUDING the newest ones work perfectly on XP while on Windows 7 for example Visual Studio 2002 and 2003 do not work at all or do not work properly.Of course there is always a way,but the hell with that lol)

-RAM memory...
(Just 128 MB of RAM memory is enough to run XP smoothly)

-OS family...
(The way things work and the way they are organized are the same as in older Windows such as Windows 95/98 only in XP they are just a little bit enhanced.And I just like that way)

-Driver support...
(It's easy to find drivers for XP OS.But of course that applies for newer OS too)

-Simplicity...
(The way how things work in XP is great and simple while in let's say Windows 7 it is totally different and I just don't like it.Of course that doesn't mean OS is bad.It's just different and I am an old fashion I guess)

-And a LOT more...
(Blablabla:D)

CONCLUSION:

All Windows operating systems are great.To some Windows 98 is great,to some it's Windows 2000,to some it's Windows XP,to some it's Windows Vista,to some it's Windows 7 and so on......

So which Windows OS is the best?
The answer is: NONE.They are all good.The best one is the one which does the job right for YOU on the way YOU want.

Like I said...I will be using Windows XP until at least 2020. simply because it does the job right on the way I want it to.
On the other hand to many OTHER people Windows 7 is the best and does the job right for THEM on THEIR way.
Same applies for ANY OS...

Cheers!
You are right in alot of ways, but I have to say... HOW LONG DID it TAKE YOU TO WRITE THIS!?:) But still, I am more like a kind of person who likes the newer looks of os's.
And all this time I thought this was a Win 8 thread.

You have done a fine job of hijacking this thread S.T.A.R.S.
Yes he has:).

wolfeking

banned
You are right in alot of ways, but I have to say... HOW LONG DID it TAKE YOU TO WRITE THIS!?:) But still, I am more like a kind of person who likes the newer looks of os's.
Exactly. There are plenty of people that do not like the looks of new OSs. It wouldn't be so bad, vista gave us an option of Windows Classic. 7 forces it on you. 8 is even worse, it looks like something that a 3rd grader on NCC1701D would be using.

I guess what I am saying is At least give us an option M$, as long as we have only one style, I will stick to 2000/XP/vista until someone else knocks you from your pedestal.

MyCattMaxx

This is still a beta version.
We will see what the RC will look like later.

But I am sure it won't take long before people will have skin kits for it just like there are for XP and W7.

wolfeking

banned
Maybe I am not getting my point across, or something.

Windows 7 is what I am talking about mainly. Windows 8 is not really on my radar.

And yea, there are all kind of kits out there, rainmeter and the like, but if I remember right, they only work for 30 days before you have to buy it. In this case thats $100 for windows, the cost of the program, I think it was like $19 or $29, and if you in my case, the cost of a hard drive and the trouble of setting it up. This is because 100/120 GB are used on 2000 with programs and data that I would want to keep. ok, since 7 takes up like 20GB or something (at least more than the 2 Gb that 2000 does at most) it will not fit all of my data and 7 too. Its bloated to say the least.

My point is that windows should allow the classic theme again. You should not have to spend yet again more money after the fact to have something different.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
I took my W8 comp and dropped the RAM to 1 gig.
It still boots and shuts down quicker than W7.

I am going to drop it to 512 megs later and see what happens.

I am wondering if one of my older comps will be able to run this where I had issues trying W7 on it.
I ran Windows 7 on 1GB RAM once with an old IDE 5400RPM HDD, Athlon 64 3700+ CPU and a Radeon X800 XT Platinum, it ran fast enough, so I'd say Windows 8 should be all right on 1GB RAM and even 512MB.

I agree with STARS' continuous posts about XP though - everybody has their own opinions, some people like XP, some don't. I'm more on the "XP is getting old now" side, and please don't write another lengthy post mostly in capitals with random pictures in it to explain why XP is still good, we get the message now. :/

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Vista itself is not bad. If you have a capable machine and all the service packs installed, it is a perfectly capable OS. If I had to choose between XP and Vista, I'd choose Vista. Though I run 7 on all my machines these days.

Geoff

VIP Member
That's what you think. I like vista more win 7 sometimes. I don't know where you pull that nonsense from that vista is bad.
Vista has been plagued with problems, granted many have been fixed in the latest service pack but it's still a crappy OS, compared to Windows 7. Windows 7 is what Vista should have been.

MyCattMaxx

I agree that Vista had many issues when it was rushed to release.
Even when I heard most of the bugs were worked out I didn't use it because they had W7 in the works.

It kind of reminds me of Win ME, it was plagued with a lot of issues.
I had a computer that came with ME and it wasn't long before I upgraded it to 98se.

XP was what ME was supposed to be like W7 is what Vista was supposed to be.

But these are just my opinion.

So far W8 doesn't seem buggy but it is fairly based on a stable W7.

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
*Beginning snip*

XP was what ME was supposed to be like W7 is what Vista was supposed to be.

But these are just my opinion.

Everything you said is true. Windows 8 IS stable, but the GUI is just total garbage, especially when being used on a desktop or non-touchscreen laptop.

MyCattMaxx

I suspect there will be a graphic change for non touch screen desk top users.
I'm even wondering if maybe they will do a second beta cp release to help address the feedback they are getting from users.
I have sent a couple of my complaints already.

The biggest issue I have with W8 is that there is a "Kill Switch" built into it.
But I assume once the final version is released someone will come up with a hack for it.
Now this is a suspicion and I am not talking about how to hack anything so I shouldn't be in violation of the rules.

Vista has been plagued with problems, granted many have been fixed in the latest service pack but it's still a crappy OS, compared to Windows 7. Windows 7 is what Vista should have been.

It had probs when it came out, but now you can do stuff to make like any other os. To me vista is great.

tremmor

With all the comments about Vista and Me im glad i missed them.
Loved XP Pro and 7 Pro. May goto windows 8 Pro.
When i get bored and looking for another adventure. Don't need to now though.
Enjoying 7 now and will be supported for a while. Wasn't like that in the beginning.
Another learning curve for me when started.

spirit

Staff member
Vista? Are you joking? Vista has been the worst OS in over 10 years from Microsoft. Windows 7 is far superior.
Vista is by no means the worst OS ever, and whilst I agree Windows 7 is much better than Vista, if I had the choice between say XP or Vista, I'd go for Vista.

voyagerfan99 said:
Vista itself is not bad. If you have a capable machine and all the service packs installed, it is a perfectly capable OS. If I had to choose between XP and Vista, I'd choose Vista. Though I run 7 on all my machines these days.
I'd rather have Vista over XP too, and yes I run Windows 7 on all my machines bar two older ones which Windows 7 would struggle on.

MyCattMaxx said:
The Consumer Preview is much more stable than the Dev was. Not been BSOD'ed once with the CP whereas with the Dev I was getting like two or three BSODs in an hour. So far stability and speed-wise, Windows 8 is looking to be pretty good, but I've got to agree with the guys here who say the UI is horrible - it is! I think maybe Microsoft are perhaps trying to hard. We all know the good old saying - "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", I think the same applies for the Start Button/Menu. Metro is horrible on my 24" monitor, it just doesn't feel right.