windows 8 beta is now out

I would only recommend doing it on a spare PC or a Virtual Machine, I wouldn't want to use this CP as my main OS, there's still quite a few bugs in it, for example, Windows Explorer keeps crashing for me still.

Right on, I may just refer to youtube to take a look... I won't be installing windows 8 at all since I don't have a spare PC atm :good:

speedyink

VIP Member
seems all good, though it will take some getting used to.. I'm curious to see whether or not I can find ways to access my software efficiently. Loving the bootup time though.

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
bootup time I will give it a 10/10 as it is definitely fast.

As for everything else, I have barely touched it. I think I have booted to it twice and got mad both times. It is a good system, don't get me wrong, but it is just a flop for me. I may toy around with it some more, but it is doubtful.
Might end up getting a tablet, or whatever they are called, the laptops with touch screens, and try it out on that. Seems to be where it would shine.

I installed windows 8 64-bit via virtual box on my friends dell Inspiron. I honestly do not think I like it as it is not very friendly with a keyboard and mouse.

bootup time I will give it a 10/10 as it is definitely fast.

As for everything else, I have barely touched it. I think I have booted to it twice and got mad both times. It is a good system, don't get me wrong, but it is just a flop for me. I may toy around with it some more, but it is doubtful.
Might end up getting a tablet, or whatever they are called, the laptops with touch screens, and try it out on that. Seems to be where it would shine.

+1 except boot up time is slower than expected for me (maybe oracle vm's fault?)

spirit

Staff member
byteninja2 said:
I honestly do not think I like it as it is not very friendly with a keyboard and mouse.
I have to agree with you. For example when you put a CD or DVD in the tray (or load an ISO in my case as I'm using Windows 8 in VMware) it says "Tap to select to what to do" (or something along those lines - the word "tap" is definitely used instead of "click"), and also I find that even with VMware Tools installed, my mouse is very slow and laggy in Windows 8, whilst the OS itself is pretty fast. Maybe it's just VMware, I don't know, but it seems Microsoft are deliberately trying to kill the mouse. I've already tried a touchscreen monitor and I didn't like it very much, and besides, you can't press Ctrl+Alt+Delete on a touchscreen apparently (or at least not the ones I tried), which surely is the most important key combination for Windows? Also, I REALLY don't like why Microsoft are now calling programs 'apps' - isn't this an Apple trend? As far as I'm concerned, an 'app' is what we call a program which runs on a handheld device such as a smartphone or tablet, and of course, Apple computers (ie - Macs). A 'program' is what we use on desktop computers and laptops, why do they now have to be called 'apps'?

Last edited:

speedyink

VIP Member
and also I find that even with VMware Tools installed, my mouse is very slow and laggy in Windows 8, whilst the OS itself is pretty fast. Maybe it's just VMware

It's just VMware. Mouse is fine on standard install.

I agree though, this does seem aimed more for touchscreen computers. I might not upgrade, but if there is a way to get rid of the metro rubbish and get my start menu back, I do like the other features it comes with such as bootup time, improved task manager, copy window transfer graphs etc.

spirit

Staff member
speedyink said:
I do like the other features it comes with such as bootup time, improved task manager, copy window transfer graphs etc.
Yes I like the new task manager and the file copy transfer graphs. Can't really say about the boot time though because in VMware it is slower than it is going to be on a real PC, just the nature of VMs. If we could get rid off the Metro UI and bring back the proper start menu and get rid off the Windows Live ID rubbish you need to simply make a user account for yourself and aim it more towards the desktop then it would be a pretty good OS.

Last edited:

claptonman

So I'm trying to run the google chrome installer, which is an .exe, and it asks me what program I want to open it with. What the hell?

Nevermind, it was named chromeinstaller_exe for some reason.

Well, I like the Dev version much better, right now. But I installed it on my p4 1.4ghz and 512mb RAM laptop and its not hitting the pagefile like XP did.

Last edited:

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
But I installed it on my p4 1.4ghz and 512mb RAM laptop and its not hitting the pagefile like XP did.

Now THAT'S awesome! :D
Because I have 512 MB of RAM memory and 1.4 ghz hahaha :D
So I guess Windows 8 would be perfect for me ^.^

Still I will rather use Windows XP at least until 2020. year.Probably even more lol :p
Hell there are still people using WIndows 95 so I guess I am the "modern" user xD

strollin

Yes I like the new task manager and the file copy transfer graphs. Can't really say about the boot time though because in VMware it is slower than it is going to be on a real PC, just the nature of VMs. If we could get rid off the Metro UI and bring back the proper start menu and get rid off the Windows Live ID rubbish you need to simply make a user account for yourself and aim it more towards the desktop then it would be a pretty good OS.
You can setup non Windows Live ID accounts in Win 8 if you wish.

It's really only a single-click from Metro to the desktop so I don't understand what the big deal is regarding that. I think the release version will probably have it configurable whether to start with Metro or the desktop.

I've only run Win 8 in a VM but it doesn't seem laggy or slow to me so it's probably quite responsive on physical hardware.

wolfeking

banned
it is from what I can tell. I like the setup now that I installed it 32 bit with a clean install from the .iso file. It only takes up 10GB on the HDD, and does not seem to hit the RAM too close. Easy to work with if you set down and study it for ~5 minutes or so. The install worked well, and was fairly intuitive.

Seems to be as responsive as one would hope for, but this might be because of them adding ARM support, meaning it is made for low power processors maybe? I don't know, but a full install to a Athlon II x2 M300 with 7200RPM HDD and 2GB DDR2-800 in single channel mode does not seem to take a performance hit at all for a modern OS.

They really need to stop coming out with new operating systems. All it is, is a money making scandal, windows 7 is just fine we don't need a new one.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
...It only takes up 10GB on the HDD, and does not seem to hit the RAM too close...

Wow.Just take a look at Windows XP.Windows XP takes about 2 GB and now Windows 8 needs 8 GB more loooooool.That is a huge difference.Microsoft put a LOT LOT LOT of stuff in Windows 8 than they did in Windows XP considering it needs 10 GB lol.

Just one question since I still did not try Windows 8.Does Windows 8 have Movie Maker and things like that or did they remove it just like they did in Windows 7?
Because if they removed those things then that just sucks lol.
Also how big is ISO file of Windows 8?Does it need regular DVD of 4.7 GB or double layer DVD of 8.5 GB or even bigger? :p

They really need to stop coming out with new operating systems. All it is, is a money making scandal, windows 7 is just fine we don't need a new one.

Well Microsoft makes a lot of money right now and their OS is the most used one world wide so they always want to be number one I guess.Even though they always were lol.At least to me =)

I agree Windows 7 is more than enough for the next few years at least.Hell to me Windows XP is more than enough and I will be using it AT LEAST until 2020. year,but I guess some people are just dying for the new technology all the time lol :D
When you take a look at the history of ALL Windows operating systems made by Microsoft,it is going to be a HUGE list lol.And that list as we all can see is increasing like nuts lol.

Wow.Just take a look at Windows XP.Windows XP takes about 2 GB and now Windows 8 needs 8 GB more loooooool.That is a huge difference.Microsoft put a LOT LOT LOT of stuff in Windows 8 than they did in Windows XP considering it needs 10 GB lol.

Just one question since I still did not try Windows 8.Does Windows 8 have Movie Maker and things like that or did they remove it just like they did in Windows 7?
Because if they removed those things then that just sucks lol.
Also how big is ISO file of Windows 8?Does it need regular DVD of 4.7 GB or double layer DVD of 8.5 GB or even bigger? :p

Well Microsoft makes a lot of money right now and their OS is the most used one world wide so they always want to be number one I guess.Even though they always were lol.At least to me =)

I agree Windows 7 is more than enough for the next few years at least.Hell to me Windows XP is more than enough and I will be using it AT LEAST until 2020. year,but I guess some people are just dying for the new technology all the time lol :D
When you take a look at the history of ALL Windows operating systems made by Microsoft,it is going to be a HUGE list lol.And that list as we all can see is increasing like nuts lol.

Ya, although I don't like xp, windows 7 will do fine, and one would think that Microsoft would have enough with the billions they have.

Last edited:

speedyink

VIP Member

Windows XP is 11 years old. 11 Years ago 2 gb was huge.

And yes, there is a lot more in the newer windows, Windows XP is pretty archaic.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Finally got around to installing it on a virtual machine. It is complete and utter garbage. Microsoft needs to go back to the drawing board and create a real OS; none of this tile screen garbage.

And yes, XP is 11 years out and very out of date. It's time for it to go away. It's been clinging on for far too long. If Vista had not been so buggy and power hungry when it came out then we would not have seen XP around this long.

And S.T.A.R.S. they did not REMOVE Movie Maker per se, but rather it is now part of Windows Live. And it's much improved. The XP version was so buggy and crashed far too often to actually be of any real use to anyone.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Finally got around to installing it on a virtual machine. It is complete and utter garbage. Microsoft needs to go back to the drawing board and create a real OS; none of this tile screen garbage.

And yes, XP is 11 years out and very out of date. It's time for it to go away. It's been clinging on for far too long. If Vista had not been so buggy and power hungry when it came out then we would not have seen XP around this long.

And S.T.A.R.S. they did not REMOVE Movie Maker per se, but rather it is now part of Windows Live. And it's much improved. The XP version was so buggy and crashed far too often to actually be of any real use to anyone.

Yes I know that,but I just hate Windows live lol.Especially when you need to download all the things which before were a part of Windows OS itself :p
I guess I am just old fassion lol.

By the way when I read what you wrote:

"And yes, XP is 11 years out and very out of date. It's time for it to go away. It's been clinging on for far too long."

My first reaction was:"HOW DARE YOU?!" :D:D:D
To tell you honestly,just because XP is 11 years old,that doesn't make it any more "out of date" how you people say lol.Just because something is 11 years old doesn't automatically make it a bad OS.XP is a GREAT operating system to me and every single thing I do works perfectly on it so why on Earth should I waste money AND time on upgrading lol...
I said this many times and I will say it again...I am going to use XP until 2020. year AT LEAST,but considering how great XP is,I am probably going to use it even longer than until 2020. year =D

Cheers Windows XP!!!
:D