windows 8 beta is now out

spirit

Staff member
I am downloading the Consumer Preview now as we speak, reckons there's 2-3 hours left to go (downloading x64 ISO at around 300KB/s). Will be trying it out in VMware Workstation 8 (may need to update VMware though) to see what it's like. I tried the Developer Preview back in September and wrote a review on it (I've still got it somewhere) so it will be interesting to see what's changed after just under 6 months. Regarding the product key, I'm not sure if they have the same key or not, I suspect they do though.

jamesd1981

Just for the benefit of those that don`t have it, this is the product key for windows 8 english version

DNJXJ-7XBW8-2378T-X22TX-BKG7J

spirit

Staff member
I've got two serials because I downloaded the ISO twice, you get the serial when you download the ISO. It's installing now in VMware, so far so good!

WeatherMan

I would like to try out the beta, although the last time I touched the Developer Preview I couldn't install my printer drivers (brand new HP Wireless All-in-One)

That was the ONLY problem I found :)

I know HP will not yet have drivers available for Windows 8, and I doubt Microsoft have rectified this issue in their beta so far.

I would really like to try something new, and do need to reformat, I just don't really fancy getting my system virtually setup and then run into a problem :p

spirit

Staff member
I don't like the new OS really. It's pretty stable, but Windows Explorer does crash now and then, and whilst installing it was easier than installing the Developer Preview, I still don't like the fact you need to make and use a Live ID to create a user account for yourself. They ask for a lot of personal information off you such as your postcode and your phone number just to make sure it's you creating the account and to make sure you don't fill in false information. VMware Tools installed fine the Consumer Preview, unlike the Developer Preview when VMware Tools would install but cause the VM to blue screen upon reboot, speaking of which I've had no blue screens yet. I installed a trial copy of the Adobe CS5.5 suite, seems to work OK on Windows 8 CP. I don't like the lack of a Start Menu button and I've found that to get to the Metro UI you have to click on the taskbar next to the Internet Explorer quick launch icon, and very often when you want to get back to the Metro UI, you end up accidentally opening up IE. Overall though I'm a great fan of the new OS and I have a horrible feeling that this going to be the "next Windows Vista"...

GaryCantley

Not yet, won't be getting to that for awhile yet. I did try the developer preview and hated it. Frankly, I don't see any reason for this version to be available for desktops/laptops. Should be for tablets and similar. I mean, what's wrong with Windows 7 that they had to come out with a new one within 2 years?

Nothing but MS have to bring out a new OS even when not required.

I wont be buying Windows 8 for a while after its release. Look at History.

Win 95, Bad.

Win 98, Good

Win ME, Bad

Win XP, Good

Win Vista, Bad

Win 7, Good.

Looking at the above list, would you now seriously consider the next OS from MS?

spirit

Staff member
I wouldn't just say that because Windows 8 is the successor to Windows 7, which has done very well, that it's going to be rubbish just because in the past Microsoft has had a tendency to make a great OS, then a not so good one, then a better one. Some people for example liked Vista, and I'm sure some people liked Me too.

Another thing I'd like to point about about the CP is that I really don't think the Metro UI works on the desktop, it's more suited for tablets and phones I think. I can't find any of the programs I use almost everyday such as Notepad or Wordpad or Paint or even a Command Prompt, but interestingly, even due to a lack of Start Menu, if you press the Winkdows Key + R when at the desktop you get the Run box.

turbodiesel

Look it up on you tube, they ruined it. It looks like an I phone, no desktop, only "tiles" filled with adds and apps, its terrible. I wouldn't run it on a phone let alone a computer. And its designed for touch screen and tablets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd1wvZvarFM&list=HL1330562056&feature=mh_lolz

Id rather run windows 2000 or 98 than this bs. And I really want to tap 3 fishheads to unlock my computer? come on.

i know removing the start menu that's a very bad idea!

i tried windows 8 developer preview but it was rubbish but really its just windows 7 tablet PC edition with a start screen instead of the menu

turbodiesel

Exactly, for a tablet it looks good, I think apple will still prevail, but for desktop and business computers, come on are you serious? XP is great, heck my grandma can figure it out easy, and Ive heard good things from 7 from friends. But this looks so complicated.

Also, I want to play BF3, not cut the rope, they made a simple flash game look like its a technological marvel. And to get into someones account press all over the photo and your bound to get it right...

windows 7 complicated

i don't think so

jamesd1981

They haven`t really removed the start menu it just looks different, if you are on the ordinary desktop on windows 8 if you go to the bottom left corner and click that is the start menu it is just in the tile form.

cabinfever1977

in windows 8: if you press the windows key on keyboard it will change to look like windows 7,it will have a taskbar at bottom, but no start button, and there is nothing to click on left side where the start button was,might be something on the right side now,i forget.

spirit

Staff member
Junglist0682 said:
I am interested at taking a look at Windows 8
I would only recommend doing it on a spare PC or a Virtual Machine, I wouldn't want to use this CP as my main OS, there's still quite a few bugs in it, for example, Windows Explorer keeps crashing for me still.