Windows help please

PhotonCrasher

I built a computer about 2 or 3 months ago, I had no idea at the time( I do now) what oem was. So I bought the non oem copy which was like 60£ more. It came with both 32-bit and 64-bit. I installed 32bit thinking it would be fine. I'm thinking of getting more ram, and I would need to upgrade to 64-bit, what would the best way of doinag so?

My specs are
Case:: Corsair 600t
Hard drive:: Samsung 1tb
Blue ray disk drive:: LG super multi blue.
Graphics card:: PNY Nvidia Geforce gts 450
CPU:: Intel i5 760
Mobo:: Asus P7P55D-E PRO
Ram:: Corsair Xms3 ddr3 2 2gb sticks
Psu:: corsair HX650W

jamesd1981

backup your files etc to an external device, flash drive, external drive etc

a solid state drive is a really good value upgrade for any pc you get a much faster bootup and shutdown, depending how much space you need you dont even need a big one, i use my ssd only to hold windows no files at all.

try this one on sale just now

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/167827

wolfeking

banned
I dont know if it will work from the same version (7 to 7), but when you go from an older to a newer (XP to Vista or Vista to 7) when you install and select your partition that is already there, it will save your data into a folder labeled "windows old".
Back it up just in case, but try this method anyway. It cant hurt to try.

PhotonCrasher

thanks for your help, i guess i might install windows 7 64-bit onto an ssd, probably the ocz 60gb so i can possibly put some of my other important stuff. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/225415
ill probably get 4gb more of ram some more g-skill

also how do i remove just the os from my current hard drive when the time comes to install it on to the ssd?

Okedokey

Just create a new partition, install 64 bit, copy over files, delete 32 bit partition, expand 64 bit partition. done.

Okedokey

The OP was regarding getting a working 64bit OS. My solution does this without any additional major steps than what would be required for a SSD. How is that overcomplicated. He would still have to partition, install and copy over his files. Btw james you need a new PSU.

jamesd1981

the easiest way is obviously to install the ssd format it install windows, copy any files over from the old drive, then format the old drive into one partion and use it for only file storage.

my psu is brand new as i only build the machine weeks ago so hardly needs replaced

Okedokey

the easiest way is obviously to install the ssd format it install windows, copy any files over from the old drive, then format the old drive into one partion and use it for only file storage.

Its no easier to do it your method, in fact there is more steps involved your way. Anyway, thats up to the OP.

my psu is brand new as i only build the machine weeks ago so hardly needs replaced

In regards to your PSU, it only has 10A on the 12V rail which is insufficient for your 9600GT which assuming (due to the absence of a PCIe power connector) is the low powered version. This card can draw 59W (5A) by itself. Leaving a miserable 5A for the rest of your system. Your CPU has a TDP of 95W (8A), so as you can see, even without your harddrives, and other 12V components, you are underpowered massively. Add to that your PSU is complete rubbish, I would strongly recommend and upgrade now. But that is for another thread.

Last edited:

jamesd1981

well its running fine im not gamer, so see no point in splashing wasteful amounts of money on overkill just to be a showoff, i would say casecom are not a rubbish brand, they are cheap because they are an up and coming brand, apart from my own machine, i have built around 50 desktops using their cases and power supplys, and out of that pretty high number do you know how many power supply failures i have had from this supposed rubbish brand ? NONE not a single one so i don`t have to take notice of anyone`s opinion that hasn`t even used casecom products when pretty clearly the numbers speak for themselves, i have seen countless people on here with blown overpriced power supplys !

Okedokey

Mate, its not about brand its about amps, you don't have enough. 10A is insufficient, no matter how much you don't like hearing it. You clearly don't understand this stuff.

jamesd1981

no i understand just fine, the difference is im not some pompus twat overpowering my machine needlessly, my pc has enough power to do all the things i want it to do photoshop etc, so why would i overspend on crap i don`t need in an effort to show mines bigger than yours

Benny Boy

thanks for your help, i guess i might install windows 7 64-bit onto an ssd, probably the ocz 60gb so i can possibly put some of my other important stuff. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/225415
ill probably get 4gb more of ram some more g-skill

also how do i remove just the os from my current hard drive when the time comes to install it on to the ssd?
Looks like a good time to upgrade to that ssd :good:.

Can't hardley remove just the os.

If you have a back-up drive (or to disc) then you can use that to put everything from you're 1TB that you want to keep. Then, when you install os to ssd, an option would be to use option 1 or 2 here Setup and Manage SSD , to prep your 1TB to facilitate your ssd - and move your saved data back to the 1TB.

You could also make a partition on the 1TB and put your saved data there, then format the old partition with the 32bit on it when you install to the ssd, but it's risky manipulating a drive that has data that isn't backed up. I'f you need to choose between a backup drive, and 4 more GB memory, get the drive.

Okedokey

Since the OP is satisfied with the answers, i think it is ok to continue with the other discussion.

no i understand just fine, the difference is im not some pompus twat overpowering my machine needlessly, my pc has enough power to do all the things i want it to do photoshop etc, so why would i overspend on crap i don`t need in an effort to show mines bigger than yours

Can you count?

10A is all you have. Fact.

9600GT needs up to 5A. Fact

Your CPU needs up to 8A. Fact

8 + 5 = 13A (your PSU can only deliver 10A max).

10A - 13A = -3A.

Please explain how your PSU is getting the other 3A, and that is without the motherboard, HDD, case fans etc etc. What you are doing is maxing out your rubbish PSU, this will cause failure. Honestly, what benefit do I have in telling you this? None.

Thats not even looking at its ATX standard, Active PFC, efficiency, over/under voltage protection, capacitor quality, ripple, and MTFB which are all rubbish.

Just think this PSU has only 10A on the 12V rail and is rated at 350W, when something like a 350W antec has 16A on the 12V rail (nearly double). Your loss.

jamesd1981

well number one i don`t know what psu you think i have got but it is actually a 12A, secondly i do not have the graphics card connected to the psu there is no need for me to do that, i already said im not a gamer.

so 12a psu with an 8a cpu leaves 4a does it not

Okedokey

well number one i don`t know what psu you think i have got but it is actually a 12A, secondly i do not have the graphics card connected to the psu there is no need for me to do that, i already said im not a gamer.

so 12a psu with an 8a cpu leaves 4a does it not

12A gets you nowhere. You still have the same load as i described before. I accounted for the lower powered 9600GT, which still means you're an amp short even without HDD and the other components i listed. BTW thats at the point where the PSU shuts down (or explodes). It cannot actually provide that power, its the rated MAX, which is another sign of a poor quality psu. Quality PSUs are rated at what they can acutally deliver.

Do you really think a PSU for less than 20 quid with only 12A on the 12V rail is quality? LOL> I have noticed in other threads you have recommended 8 pound PSUs - really?

That PSU is a cheap tawainese PSU that is designed (at best) for an old (with most components on the 5V rail) computer with no, repeat no discrete gpu.

You don't have that, most of your components are on the 12V rail and you have a dedicated gpu - that psu is pos.

Im not picking a fight, but if you claim im a "...pompus twat.." ill respond with facts, BUT, if you don't believe me, start a new thread, in fact ill do it.

Last edited: