Windows help please

jamesd1981

well it runs fine and i have a better hardware reliabilty record than most system builders i know, until at least one of the 50 pos power supplys fail i will go on the simple fact that numbers don`t lie and continue to read all the threads full of blown psu with supposed great brands like corsair, antec and ocz, while i have no doubt mine will still be running just fine and capable of doing the tasks i require of it

Okedokey

i will go on the simple fact that numbers don`t lie ...

The numbers say its bad news, bad advice and simply not to be recommended. Never. Its true that you can frequently see over assumptions relating to PSU requirments, but you have gone in the complete other direction. This is irresponsible for someone claiming to be a computer builder imho.

No one said it wouldn't run, but on CF, we're about quality advice. So what we don't want is someone suggesting that PSU or any other like it is quality. The uninitiated come here for advice and could read your post and think, great, i can spend 8 pounds on a PSU and it will run a discrete GPU system.

Of course it will turn on and run, but the moment you get a warm day, capacitor aging, or decide to start up a game, it could very easliy (read likely) go bang. Then it has the potential to take other components, mobo, ram etc, with it. Not good.

Try something for me, max out your system for an hour with Prime95 (small FFT test) and 3Dmark06 and a defrag running at the same time. ;) The PSU needs to handle the maximum power requirement scenario otherwise you are (as a computer builder) very unprofessional.

Anyone smell smoke? :eek:

Last edited:

jamesd1981

The only problem with that is most people very rarely if ever max out out their system so it is irrelevant.

you seem to be a bit hung up on numbers and size so do this math

if i buy a £20 psu and it lasts 1 year, i own the pc for 5 years that is £100
if you buy a £70 psu and it even lasts 3 years if you are lucky thats £140, so who`s the mug

but just to prove my point i will run your test exactly within your 1 hour time frame and using the software you recommend and if my psu copes fine we can say for a FACT you are wrong

wolfeking

banned
that of coarse is assuming that it dont take out other things with your PSU. Assume your using a $120 processor, and your PSU takes it with it each time. thats $700 compared to $360 with the 70 PSU. now which one is cheaper?

(and before you say wheres the proof, I got it sitting in the corner here. OC'd it too much on a weak PSU and it blew. Took out CPU, RAM, and GPU with it. Possibly the motherboard too.)

Okedokey

My PSU has a 7 year warranty, so even your numbers don't make sense.

110 pound for 7 years is 15 pounds per year on your logic, compared to 20 pounds per year plus the potential cost of damaging other hardware.... lol

Last edited:

jamesd1981

plus my PSU has a 7 year warranty, so even your numbers don't make sense.

110 pound for 7 years is 15 pounds per year on your logic, compared to 20 pounds per year plus the potential cost of damaging other hardware.... lol

maybe but then i wouldn`t own a pc for 7 years, after 3 years a pc can be considered old hardware

Okedokey

maybe but then i wouldn`t own a pc for 7 years, after 3 years a pc can be considered old hardware

not may be, fact. And since when would I need to upgrade my PSU to compliment newer hardware? Secondly you are paying higher electricity bills every hour you use your computer. Have you considered that?

The fact is its false economics, and bad advice.. period.

jamesd1981

that of coarse is assuming that it dont take out other things with your PSU. Assume your using a $120 processor, and your PSU takes it with it each time. thats $700 compared to $360 with the 70 PSU. now which one is cheaper?

(and before you say wheres the proof, I got it sitting in the corner here. OC'd it too much on a weak PSU and it blew. Took out CPU, RAM, and GPU with it. Possibly the motherboard too.)

yeah but thats my point wolfeking, you overclock and i assume play games ? so perhaps you need a more expensive psu if you are regularly pushing it hard,

but for any average user either just browsing or even doing some downloading, photo editing etc, it would be needless expense for a psu that will hardly ever reach half its limits, everyone needs hardware for there own specific use, so if you hardly use your pc and when you do only use it lightly then a cheap psu is fine for that purpose.

PhotonCrasher

Looks like a good time to upgrade to that ssd :good:.

Can't hardley remove just the os.

If you have a back-up drive (or to disc) then you can use that to put everything from you're 1TB that you want to keep. Then, when you install os to ssd, an option would be to use option 1 or 2 here Setup and Manage SSD , to prep your 1TB to facilitate your ssd - and move your saved data back to the 1TB.

You could also make a partition on the 1TB and put your saved data there, then format the old partition with the 32bit on it when you install to the ssd, but it's risky manipulating a drive that has data that isn't backed up. I'f you need to choose between a backup drive, and 4 more GB memory, get the drive.

yeh i have a western digital 500gb external hard drive i can back up my stuff to, thanks

FuryRosewood

i dont see why your arguing over spending 50 bucks and depending on 12 pounds worth of psu to supply a 400 dollar system, its like putting unleaded in your high compression Porsche...its not smart

wolfeking

banned
yeah but thats my point wolfeking, you overclock and i assume play games ? so perhaps you need a more expensive psu if you are regularly pushing it hard,

but for any average user either just browsing or even doing some downloading, photo editing etc, it would be needless expense for a psu that will hardly ever reach half its limits, everyone needs hardware for there own specific use, so if you hardly use your pc and when you do only use it lightly then a cheap psu is fine for that purpose.
Athlon II x2, GTS250 and 4GB DDR3-1066. I was overclocking the GPU, and it wasn't even drawing that much power.
I game, but nothing heavy duty at that time. Heaviest game was Medal of Honor: Airborne.

jamesd1981

i started the test at 15:47 my local time using

prime 95 set to ffs test, 3d mark 11 as i had it anyway and iobit smart defrag on my 2nd hdd couldn`t use my os partion as its ssd, test is now halfway and so far hasn`t blown up although the fans are getting a good work out :)

Last edited:

Okedokey

i started the test at 15:47 my local time using

prime 95 set to ffs test, 3d mark used 11 as i had it anyway and iobit smart defrag on my 2nd hdd couldn`t use my os partion as its ssd, test is now halfway and so far hasn`t blown up although the fans are getting a good work out :)

Please explain how you are running 3dmark11 without a dx11 card? I smell bs. I also assume you are using another computer to type your posts?

wolfeking

banned
You are pushing it close at 100% efficiency with your 350 watt PSU, no matter what brand it is.
Using a PSU calculator, with Athlon II 450, 2 DDR3 sticks (assuming 2x2gb), 9600GT, 1 high RPM HDD SATA (assuming 7200 RPM), 1 SSD, and assumption of 4 120mm fans, you need a minimum of 349 watts. you literally have no room at all there.
Little more reliable, 383 watts from another calc.
PSU.jpg

Last edited:

jamesd1981

i do build desktops bigfella, and have plenty of parts in stock, im not gonna pay to download a different version of the same program when i can just swap out the card

Okedokey

Ok so what card are you using? 3dmark06 is free. Please post a screenshot for pc wizard or speccy if you prefer . BS meter going off the scale. Now you're using a dx11 card? Which one?

My guess is that you're not running those tests at all. If you are, please post a screenshot with your avatar from CF in the background showing prime95 running small FFT and a screenshot of the dx11 card running 3dmark (your choice) in window mode.

Also, why the hell if would someone in their right mind have a dx11 card just lying around, when they have a 8 quid psu installed - insane.

Btw, wolf, there is nothing reliable about that psu calculator.

james, prove you have run the tests with the setup and psu we are discussing. that is the point.

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
Ok so what card are you using? 3dmark06 is free. Please post a screenshot for pc wizard or speccy if you prefer . BS meter going off the scale. Now you're using a dx11 card? Which one?

My guess is that you're not running those tests at all. If you are, please post a screenshot with your avatar from CF in the background showing prime95 running small FFT and a screenshot of the dx11 card running 3dmark (your choice) in window mode.

Also, why the hell if would someone in their right mind have a dx11 card just lying around, when they have a 8 quid psu installed - insane.

Btw, wolf, there is nothing reliable about that psu calculator.

james, prove you have run the tests with the setup and psu we are discussing. that is the point.
Reliable wasnt quite the right word. Readable, and understandable with a believable result is better.