Windows help please

jamesd1981

the card was a palit geforce gt 520, as your insisting on running the test with my hardware, i will reset and post jegs of the 3 windows side by side and seperate

Okedokey

That card has half the TDP of a 9600GT, so whats the point? This thread is getting boring and a bit useless. You're trying to prove something that anyone in their right mind recognises to be a bloody bad idea.

Simple fact, pos psu with 12A on a rubbish 12V rail is not for any pcie card, even one that only draws 30W as in the GT520.

jamesd1981

no big fella im not arguing there aren`t better psu out there, all im saying is there is a difference between a crap psu and cheap psu, if i were a gamer and running my hardware near max all the time i would see your point, my point is a cheaper psu has its place in a system that is not being used in that way, thus a cheap or lower powered psu can last as long in lightly used system as a more expensive more powerful one can in a constantly maxed out sytem

Okedokey

James, you have yet to show how your 9600GT system can be safely run at all by a cheaply made PSU with only 12A on the 12V rail. That is the point. I have shown how using the rated specifications of only 2 of the components, you will come up short should the be maxed. That isnt including mobo, hdd, fans etc etc or psu aging, influence of temperature etc. Also show me a cheap PSU (say less than 20 quid) that isn't crap.

12A is insufficient no matter which way you look at it. If you had a low spec PSU such as antec with 16A on the 12V rail then may be, but not a casecom chinese pos with 12A, no way.

Let me also ask you this, if you built a computer with the same specs as yours, do you put a sticker on it for your customers saying - don't game? I bet you don't.

Last edited:

jamesd1981

no but then i wouldn`t build that hardware combination for a gamer thats the point your missing which is the biggest point, if i were asked to build a gamer system i would be looking at quad core, 8gb ram, a better gpu and yes a better psu 500w or higher to suit that sytem and the use it will get.
point being i dont do all that so i have no need for a £100 psu would just be a waste of money

Okedokey

The point you're missing is YOUR rig is underpowered, no ifs, no buts, nothing to do with gaming or otherwise. You need 20A as a general rule for anything with a dedicated gpu, not 12A.

Okedokey

i already said im not plugged into the card, so im not directly using the psu to power the card

you clearly have no idea. God help your customers.

the card still draws the power via the pcie slot, all 59W. PCie (2.0) slots can provide up to 300W. Your psu provides the 12V via the motherboard connector (PCIe 2.0 compliant needs 8 pin). So what is your point? You only have 1 x 12V rail at 12A.

Last edited:

jamesd1981

my point is the harder a psu is used the more stress is put on it leading to a blow up, common sense tells you if you are not using the psu heavily it doesn`t have to be as powerful

Okedokey

What?

Amps is amps. Why are you using terms such as harder, and heavy?

You have a power requirement that your PSU cannot match. Period. Your explanations as to why its ok demonstrates your lack of understanding.

You have a low quality power supply (for reasons given previously) which is not capable or recommended for any system with a discrete gpu. We will have to just agree to disagree, however you're wrong.

Okedokey

What?

Amps is amps. Why are you using terms such as harder, and heavy?

You have a power requirement that your PSU cannot match. Period. Your explanations as to why its ok demonstrates your lack of understanding.

You have a low quality power supply (for reasons given previously) which is not capable or recommended for any system with a discrete gpu. We will have to just agree to disagree, however you're wrong.
As above.

What does that screen shot prove? Nothing more than your sig?

You are basically arguing that a shitty psu is fine as long as you are careful not to utilise your computer in a way that may blow it up? LOL Its analogous to advocating that you can run a car without oil as long as you don't go above 1 km/hr.

...common sense tells you if you are not using the psu heavily it doesn't`t have to be as powerful

Actually common sense says that you don't run a PSU that can blow up given the system requirements.

This is getting a bt pathetic now, ill leave you to believe whatever you want, but please don't go advocating this 'logic' to other users as CF has agreed that the minimum PSU 12V rail amperage is 18A for dedicated gpus.

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
You are basically arguing that a shitty psu is fine as long as you are careful not to utilise your computer in a way that may blow it up? LOL Its analogous to advocating that you can run a car without oil as long as you don't go above 1 km/hr.

You can run a car without oil as long as you plan a rebuild soon.

jamesd1981

As above.

What does that screen shot prove? Nothing more than your sig?

Actually common sense says that you don't run a PSU that can blow up given the system requirements.

This is getting a bt pathetic now, ill leave you to believe whatever you want, but please don't go advocating this 'logic' to other users as CF has agreed that the minimum PSU 12V rail amperage is 18A for dedicated gpus.

no big fella but you are talking like brand name power supplys never blow, any psu will blow after a certain time and depending on the use, my point being there is no reason why my cheap psu with light use will not last as long as a better psu under heavy use

Okedokey

Mate, you really have no idea right?

Your psu doesn't have the protection circuits that mine does, meaning when it blows it will take out other gear too. I give up. Believe what you want.

Be honest with yourself, run Prime95 (short FFT) and 3dmark (repeating) overnight. See how stable it is. This is not about an application crashing this is about a psu going bang and taking out other gear. Simply ridiculous.

You've been told by others the same thing here: http://www.computerforum.com/197609-power-supply-failure.html

Over and out.

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
At this point (IDK bout bigfella, he knows what he is talking about) I am saying that your PSU is not giving your system enough power, no matter the brand. I myself know that price and quality are not always equal (like $499 for aluminum axle housing, or $489 for steel, the steel will last longer). However, if you starve the system, it will not perform. Like a semi float axle on a 1 ton truck, its going to break no matter how little extra you put on it.