Windows Vista Goes Public!

timothyb89

Microsoft just released Windows Vista Beta 2 to basicly anyone who wants it! I downloading it right now, but anyone can either download it or order a CD, without a MSDN subscription! Although it's estimated to take nine hours on a 1.5 Mb (not MB) connection.
Get more info @ http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/preview.mspx

I'm hoping to run it in VMware and give it a try. But from what I've read here, it might not be worth the fifteen MB of disk space.

computerhakk

VIP Member
awesome. they made it a public release again. thanks for the link.. now maybe some of the members here can finally get a hold of it :)

Last edited:

timothyb89

Well, at least I know someone's excited about it. Most people seem to against Vista...
By the way, When downloading the ISO, make SURE you have at least eight GB for the 64bit and 6.8 for the 32 bit on your hard drive for the *.part.iso file and the actual *.iso file. the .part.iso will be deleted almost instantly.

And I'll warn everyone: Microsoft restricts downloading to only a few users at a time to speed up download speed. You'll probably get a page telling you to check back later for the download because of traffic the first few times.

Last edited:

computerhakk

VIP Member
timothyb89 said:
Well, at least I know someone's excited about it. Most people seem to against Vista...
By the way, When downloading the ISO, make SURE you have at least eight GB on your hard drive for the *.part.iso file and the actual *.iso file. the .part.iso will be deleted almost instantly.

And I'll warn everyone: Microsoft restricts downloading to only a few users at a time to speed up download speed. You'll probably get a page telling you to check back later for the download because of traffic the first few times.
;) I know.. I downloaded the other public release back in march.
If you want to download it quickly w/o the limited access to demand, just use a download manager with the link on the right side.

timothyb89

I would get an access denied through firefox in my Windows install, but I rebooted into Linux and that worked a lot better. I about to try it in VMware

timothyb89

Oh, wow. It's like a poorly made Windows live cd with missing files- EVERYWHERE! Sorry. I think VMware causing some trrouble- I didn't allocate enough RAM

Livzz

with my braodband plan i can only do huge downloads off peak - whats a good download manager to use?

and do you reckon should i try the 64bit version? i know the 64bit version of xp wasn't too good for drivers and compatibility, but whats vista gonna be like?

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
Okay, when i use the links on the right that you use with your own download manager, when i finally manage to get the download going, its only 14MB :confused: Shouldn't it be up in the Gigs?

EDIT: Even more annoyingly, the English version is 14MB, the German is 180MB and the Japanese is 210MB :confused:

Last edited:

Livzz

maybe try downloading a torrent - i know that theres a good torrent for both 32bit and 64bit editions...
I'm waiting for the next billing period before i start this download... and its gonna take me a while on my 512ADSL !

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
Does nvidia have any chipset drivers for vista? The only ones i can find on the nvidia website are for audio and network.

Yea, ive got a torrent of the public release downloading now. Unfortuneatly, the speeds aren't quite maxing out, but im stilll getting 250KB/s which isnt too bad i guess.

Last edited:

Livzz

hahaha thats an "alright" speed?! i'm living with 50KB/s max!

and yeah - what about Nvidia drivers? i'm probly gonna need them too

bigsaucybob

My downloaded surprisingly fast, 1.5MB/s it was done in no more than 1 hour. Or I wouldnt really know because I fell asleep.

ANNR

bigsaucybob said:
My downloaded surprisingly fast, 1.5MB/s it was done in no more than 1 hour. Or I wouldnt really know because I fell asleep.

LOL. I did the samething when i before i went to sleep last night. it was all over by the time i got up.

I used firefox to download it at first and i was getting speed like 24KB/s. Try microsoft's internet explorer and the speed went over 385KB/s.

P11

VIP Member
ANNR said:
LOL. I did the samething when i before i went to sleep last night. it was all over by the time i got up.

I used firefox to download it at first and i was getting speed like 24KB/s. Try microsoft's internet explorer and the speed went over 385KB/s.
When I use internet explorer it just donwload some small file and finishes. what is it?

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
bigsaucybob said:
I should of been getting 1.2MB/s from ms but it wouldn't work, id get some random 14MB .iso so i downloaded it from a torrent instead (The same public beta). Averaged about 400KB/s peaked at 950KB/s