Wireless router and Wired router conflict problem

Da Mail Man

Greetings All,

....Have an unusual problem here. I acquired a Roku 3 that I unfortunately have to run wireless to access the net. What I have is this in the way of connections;

1. broadband cable modem
2. linksys 4 port WIRED router
3. linksys 4 port WIRELESS router
4. eight (8) port generic "switch"

A...cat 5 from cable modem>to WAN port on WIRED router.
B...cat 5 from WIRED router port>to port on switch
C...cat 5 cables from two (2) ports on switch>to two(2) computers
D...cat 5 cable from WIRED router>to INTERNET port on WIRELESS router
E...NOTE -I have even attempted to use the "uplink" port on the WIRED router to connect the WIRELESS router to but, get the
same results.

...When I connect up the WIRELESS router to the WIRED router as above, my internet connection to the two (2) computers through the switch will "fall off" at least 4x's a minute (the wireless router is used only for the Roku 3 unit). If I disconnect the WIRELESS router from the WIRED router, the internet connection is solid to the two (2) computers. (I had no choice to incorporate an eight (8) port switch because I ran out of cable length! :)

...I have tested BOTH the WIRELESS and the WIRED routers directly to the cable model and they work fine. but, have problems as above when connected together! WHY IS THAT?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Did you disable the DHCP server on one router? If you didn't, you're going to get IP conflicts. I'm assuming you want the world router as your primary, so disable the DHCP server on the wireless router.

Da Mail Man

Thanks for the reply!

*CAPS ARE NOT YELLING BUT, ONLY SERVE TO SEGREGATE PORTIONS OF THE REPLIES AND ANSWERS*

Did you disable the DHCP server on one router?
WHICH ONE? THE WIRED ROUTER THAT FEEDS EVERYTHING OR THE WIRELESS ROUTER THAT ONLY FEEDS THE ROKU BOX?

If you didn't, you're going to get IP conflicts.
I HAD A FEELING THAT THERE WAS SOME CONFLICT BUT, DID NOT KNOW HOW TO RESOLVE IT OR, EVEN IF IT COULD BE RESOLVED.

I'm assuming you want the world router
"WORLD ROUTER"? DID YOU MEAN WIRED ROUTER?

as your primary,
YES

so disable the DHCP server on the wireless router.
OK - WILL LOOK FOR IT AND WILL ADVISE!

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
I would connect the wired router to the LAN port on your wireless router, and then set up your wireless router to just operate as an access point. This way you wont double NAT and won't have multiple DHCP servers, and you could access all devices on your LAN regardless of being wired or wireless.

Da Mail Man

Thanks for the reply!

1)...Should I run a cat5 from the "UPLINK" PORT of the WIRED router to the "INTERNET" PORT of the WIRELESS router?

2)...Should I run a cat5 from the "UPLINK" PORT of the WIRED router to the any unused PORT on the PORT of the WIRELESS router? (somehow I don't think that will work!).

3)...Should I run a cat5 an unused port of the WIRED router to the INTERNET port of the WIRELESS router. (seems a bit more logical to me).

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You don't have it setup correctly. Do not use the internet port on the wireless router. Connect the cable from the wired router to an lan port on the wireless router. Disable DHCP on the wireless router. This configuration will allow the wired router to handle all internal IP addresses, thus not causing IP conflict.

Da Mail Man

thanks for the reply!

You don't have it setup correctly.
PAR FOR THE COURSE!

Do not use the internet port on the wireless router.
OK, I WILL NOT.

Connect the cable from the wired router
THAT IS ALL WELL AND GOOD BUT, REGARDING THE CABLE "FROM THE WIRED ROUTER" YOU MENTIONED, CONNECT TO WHERE ON THE WIRED ROUTER?...THE "UPLINK" PORT ON THE WIRED ROUTER?...THE LAN PORT OF THE WIRED ROUTER?

to an lan port on the wireless router.
THIS PART I "GOTS" :)

Disable DHCP on the wireless router.
I WILL SET THE ROUTER BACK TO IT'S FACTORY DEFAULTS AND START OVER.

This configuration will allow the wired router to handle all internal IP addresses, thus not causing IP conflict.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Not from the uplink port, I don't think you can use it without using a crossover cable. You have to use a regular lan port on the wired router to lan port on the wireless router. Do you have any open ports on the wired router? If not, then you can use the switch, just connect a cable from switch to wireless router.

Da Mail Man

Not from the uplink port, I don't think you can use it without using a crossover cable. You have to use a regular lan port on the wired router to lan port on the wireless router. Do you have any open ports on the wired router? If not, then you can use the switch, just connect a cable from switch to wireless router.

......The way my mind sees it is this; connecting a cat5 cable from the WIRED router lan port then, connecting the other end of that cat5 cable to the internet port on the WIRELESS router.

......My thinking is that the WIRELESS router is an "access point" so-to-speak for wireless devices that wish internet access....Access to this WIRELESS router is made through/by the antenna into the unit. Then, that access is achieved internally (of course) and piped out through the INTERNET PORT of that very same WIRELESS router through another cat5 cable to a lan port on the WIRED ROUTER which stands between all my devices and the internet/cable modem.

...Yes, i have 2 open lan ports on the WIRED router and 4 open lan ports (which i do not want to use) on the WIRELESS router.

Geoff

VIP Member
Thanks for the reply!

1)...Should I run a cat5 from the "UPLINK" PORT of the WIRED router to the "INTERNET" PORT of the WIRELESS router?

2)...Should I run a cat5 from the "UPLINK" PORT of the WIRED router to the any unused PORT on the PORT of the WIRELESS router? (somehow I don't think that will work!).

3)...Should I run a cat5 an unused port of the WIRED router to the INTERNET port of the WIRELESS router. (seems a bit more logical to me).
You want to run an ethernet cable from a free port on the wired router, to a free port on your wireless router, not the internet port. Then configure the wireless router to act as an access point instead of a router. Think of this configuration as the same as a switch, but wireless.

This is why it's not a good idea to have two routers in a home network, it just causes issues. Ideally, it would go modem > wireless router > switch.

Da Mail Man

You want to run an ethernet cable from a free port on the wired router, to a free port on your wireless router, not the internet port.
OK - I WILL GIVE THAT A TRY.

Then configure the wireless router to act as an access point instead of a router.
OK, YOU SAID IT NOW HOW DO I DO THAT?[/B]

Think of this configuration as the same as a switch, but wireless.
THAT IS WHAT I AM DOING OR AT LEAST TRYING TO DO.

This is why it's not a good idea to have two routers in a home network, it just causes issues. Ideally, it would go modem > wireless router > switch.
HOWEVER, HAVING BEEN ABLE TO "ACQUIRE ACCESS AND DECRYPTION" TO WPA ENCRYPTION (MY OWN STUFF), I WOULD WANT AS MUCH "STUFF" BETWEEN THAT WIRELESS ROUTER AND THE WIRED ROUTER. I DO HAVE AN 8-PORT SWITCH (WIRED LAN>8 PORT SWITCH> TWO COMPUTERS).

Geoff

VIP Member
You want to run an ethernet cable from a free port on the wired router, to a free port on your wireless router, not the internet port.
OK - I WILL GIVE THAT A TRY.

Then configure the wireless router to act as an access point instead of a router.
OK, YOU SAID IT NOW HOW DO I DO THAT?[/B]

Think of this configuration as the same as a switch, but wireless.
THAT IS WHAT I AM DOING OR AT LEAST TRYING TO DO.

HOWEVER, HAVING BEEN ABLE TO "ACQUIRE ACCESS AND DECRYPTION" TO WPA ENCRYPTION (MY OWN STUFF), I WOULD WANT AS MUCH "STUFF" BETWEEN THAT WIRELESS ROUTER AND THE WIRED ROUTER. I DO HAVE AN 8-PORT SWITCH (WIRED LAN>8 PORT SWITCH> TWO COMPUTERS).

Do you know the IP of your wireless router? If not, connect to it wirelessly and look at your default gateway on the client under the network status, then type that into a browser to access the web interface and look for a setting to change the wireless mode to an access point.

So you were able to crack WPA, but what about WPA2? If you want to isolate your wireless traffic from your wired traffic, there are better ways to do it. You can setup access rules on your router, use VLANS, etc.

Da Mail Man

Do you know the IP of your wireless router? If not, connect to it wirelessly and look at your default gateway on the client under the network status, then type that into a browser to access the web interface and look for a setting to change the wireless mode to an access point.
I AM AWARE AS TO HOW TO GET INTO THE ROUTERS CONFIG PAGE VIA WEB BROWSER. I DO SEE A SETTING THAT GIVES ME THE CHOICE TO SET UNIT UP AS A ROUTER OR GATEWAY - WHICH ONE SHOULD I USE?

So you were able to crack WPA, but what about WPA2?
YES - BOTH. TOOK A BIT OF TIME TO LEARN SOME "STUFF" BUT, I HAVE DONE IT MORE THAN ONCE JUST AS A CHALLENGE.

If you want to isolate your wireless traffic from your wired traffic, there are better ways to do it. You can setup access rules on your router, use VLANS, etc.
WHAT I WANT IS TO HAVE THE WIRELESS ROUTER HANDLE JUST THE ROKU 3 DEVICE AND NOTHING ELSE. I WANT THE WIRED ROUTER TO HANDLE ANY DIRECTLY CONNECTED COMPUTERS.

I JUST SET THE WIRELESS ROUTER BACK TO DEFAULTS WITH NO ENCRYPTION PASSWORD AND CONNECTED DIRECTLY TO TEH CABLE MODEM AND ALL IS WELL.

Geoff

VIP Member
I AM AWARE AS TO HOW TO GET INTO THE ROUTERS CONFIG PAGE VIA WEB BROWSER. I DO SEE A SETTING THAT GIVES ME THE CHOICE TO SET UNIT UP AS A ROUTER OR GATEWAY - WHICH ONE SHOULD I USE?

YES - BOTH. TOOK A BIT OF TIME TO LEARN SOME "STUFF" BUT, I HAVE DONE IT MORE THAN ONCE JUST AS A CHALLENGE.

If you want to isolate your wireless traffic from your wired traffic, there are better ways to do it. You can setup access rules on your router, use VLANS, etc.
WHAT I WANT IS TO HAVE THE WIRELESS ROUTER HANDLE JUST THE ROKU 3 DEVICE AND NOTHING ELSE. I WANT THE WIRED ROUTER TO HANDLE ANY DIRECTLY CONNECTED COMPUTERS.

I JUST SET THE WIRELESS ROUTER BACK TO DEFAULTS WITH NO ENCRYPTION PASSWORD AND CONNECTED DIRECTLY TO TEH CABLE MODEM AND ALL IS WELL.
I would not leave your wireless network unencrypted, especially if you live in anyplace other than the middle of nowhere. I'm also curious how you cracked WPA2, do you mean you figured out the password to the network? Or you were actually able to sniff and decrypt the packets sent over WPA2?

Da Mail Man

I would not leave your wireless network unencrypted, especially if you live in anyplace other than the middle of nowhere.
ABSOLUTELY NO NEED TO TELL ME THAT AS I AM VERY WELL AWARE THE "WAYS' ACCESS CAN BE "ACQUIRED".

I'm also curious how you cracked WPA2, do you mean you figured out the password to the network? Or you were actually able to sniff and decrypt the packets sent over WPA2?
I HAVE DONE BOTH BUT, THIS IS NOT THE PLACE AS IT COULD BE EASILY MISCONSTRUED AS SOMETHING OTHER THAN TESTING NETWORK SECURITY.

MY ISSUES ARE GETTING MY DAMNED ROUTERS TO "HOLD HANDS AND PLAY NICE" WHICH, I WILL START FROM SCRATCH TOMORROW AFTERNOON BEFORE I SLEDGEHAMMER IT..

Last edited:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Oh my. This is immensely hard to read. You can use the
tag to quote previous responses. I don't know about anyone else, but it makes it a lot easier for me to follow. :)

So long as you connect to the "LAN" ports gateway or router mode should be fine. Technically, it's router mode you want but for your purposes either mode is fine. If you use the uplink, or WAN port if labelled that way, in Router mode it'll let you segment your networks. No problem, but it's a slightly more involved setup.

As stated earlier, the simplest setup is to make sure DHCP is off and, if you have an option for it, DHCP forwarding is on. Then connect your Router mode router via a LAN port to a LAN port on the top level router. Connect the switch the same way.

Da Mail Man

Oh my. This is immensely hard to read. You can use the
tag to quote previous responses. I don't know about anyone else, but it makes it a lot easier for me to follow. :)
I SEE - SORRY YOU ARE HAVING DIFFICULTIES.

So long as you connect to the "LAN" ports gateway or router mode should be fine. Technically, it's router mode you want but for your purposes either mode is fine. If you use the uplink, or WAN port if labelled that way, in Router mode it'll let you segment your networks. No problem, but it's a slightly more involved setup.
[B]WELL, I KNOW IF I CONNECT THE WIRELESS TO THE WIRED VIA LAN PORT, MY INTERNET CONNECTION FALLS OFF. I HAVE DONE SO MUCH SWITCHING OF CABLES THAT I NOW FORGOT WHAT I DID. I WILL START OVER THIS AFTERNOON AND WRITE IT ALL DOWN.[/B]

As stated earlier, the simplest setup is to make sure DHCP is off
I DID SEE AN OPTION IN THE WIRELESS ROUTER TO ENABLE/DISABLE AND I SELECTED DISABLE. I ALSO SAW A SELECTION FOR GATEWAY/ROUTER AND LAST I REMEMBER, I SET IT TO GATEWAY.

and, if you have an option for it, DHCP forwarding is on.
NOT SURE ABOUT THIS ONE.

Then connect your Router mode router via a LAN port to a LAN port on the top level router.
WILL DO; LAN TO LAN.

Connect the switch the same way.
THE SWITCH IS CONNECTED TO A LAN PORT ON THE WIRED ROUTER. IT SEEMS THAT I EITHER HAVE THE WIRELESS WORKING OR THE WIRED BUT, REALLY NOT BOT AT SAME TIME.

Last edited:

Da Mail Man

...UPDATE;

..Ok, started out this afternoon with writing down most of the wireless routers' settings with only one change - I CHANGED THE ROUTER IP ADDRESS to another address/number. So far, all appears to be working with no anomalies...WILL ADVISE.

..I wish to take this time to thank all those contributors in this PITA situation. Now, just wait till I attempt to hook up a wireless print server that has been sitting in a box brand new for 3-5 years!..

Geoff

VIP Member
...UPDATE;

..Ok, started out this afternoon with writing down most of the wireless routers' settings with only one change - I CHANGED THE ROUTER IP ADDRESS to another address/number. So far, all appears to be working with no anomalies...WILL ADVISE.

..I wish to take this time to thank all those contributors in this PITA situation. Now, just wait till I attempt to hook up a wireless print server that has been sitting in a box brand new for 3-5 years!..
You could also upgrade your router, to say an Asus AC-68U. Then you could have your wireless network which is kept separate from your LAN using the guest network feature (built-in feature), they have built in USB 3.0 ports for printers or external hard drives, and it gives you the best wireless performance of 802.11ac and 1Gbps wired ports. It would then go modem > wireless router > switch, which would simplify your network dramatically.