Wireless router and Wired router conflict problem

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
...UPDATE;

..Ok, started out this afternoon with writing down most of the wireless routers' settings with only one change - I CHANGED THE ROUTER IP ADDRESS to another address/number. So far, all appears to be working with no anomalies...WILL ADVISE.

..I wish to take this time to thank all those contributors in this PITA situation. Now, just wait till I attempt to hook up a wireless print server that has been sitting in a box brand new for 3-5 years!..

You're right, changing the default IP address is a required step. I forgot to include it in the general directions posted earlier.

Adding the print server hopefully won't be too bad. Depends on what kind it is.

Da Mail Man

You're right, changing the default IP address is a required step.
I FIGURED I HAD NOTHING TO LOOSE AT THAT POINT - SO I DID IT.

I forgot to include it in the general directions posted earlier.
GRIN

Adding the print server hopefully won't be too bad. Depends on what kind it is.
WILL TRY THAT TOMORROW MORNING SOME TIME. WILL "ADD" IT TO THE WIRED ROUTER. IT IS A D-LINK PRINT SERVER. SORTA GETTING TIRED OF COPYING THINGS TO A FLASH DRIVE AND THEN FIRING UP ANOTHER COMPUTER CONNECTED TO A PRINTER JUST TO PRINT SOMETHING.

Da Mail Man

NEW! Issues involving d-link print server hook up.

Greetings All,

*Replies in caps from me are NOT yelling but, serve only to segregate parts of the replies/answers.

...Told ya I would be back! running win xp pro, usb laser printer, D-Link DP-300U print server.

...Started hooking up the print server as above and made sure that the printer had "share this printer, etc" checked....

1) USB printer cable>USB port on print serve.,
2) cat5 to LAN port on WIRED 4-port router.
3) power connected and unit does self-test.

..Following the directions, the directions indicate to;

1)...right click on "Network Places" >

2)..."properties" >

3)...double L click on "Network Connection associated with my network adapter" >

4)...click on "Internet protocol (TCP/IP)" >and select "properties" >.

5)...select "use the following IP address" > typed in:192.168.1.52 , subnet mask:255.255.255.0 and then clicked "OK".

6)...i went back to the same "open window" and hit"ok" (HERE IS WHERE THE PROBLEM STARTS!

Whereas, when I started, I had internet access with my computer nearest my printer (the one i am using to do all this) but now, with that computer, I DO NOT. The directions indicated that I should type in 192.168.1.10 into the browser (firefox) but, it goes nowhere (same issue I had years ago). Right here I an stuck! I cannot get to the Print Server set up page and even if i did, having changed the TCP/IP as listed above, i believe I will have no internet access when all is said and done.

Geoff

VIP Member
It sounds like you need to set up the print server, and 192.168.1.10 is the default IP. If your network is not using a 192.168.1.x address, then it will not work with a router between the two devices as they are using a different subnet.

Connect an ethernet cable directly from your computer to the print server, using the address information you mentioned earlier, and it should work. Then change it to an available IP on your network.

Before we tell you how to do that, go back to DHCP on your desktop and let us know what the IP address, subnet mask, and gateway are.

Da Mail Man

*Thanks for the reply!

It sounds like you need to set up the print server, and 192.168.1.10 is the default IP.
I WAS JUST GOING TO ALTER BOTH ROUTERS' IP ADDRESSES. i FOUND OUT THAT FIREFOX FOR SOME REASON THIS TIME, DIDN'T WANT TO DO "SQUAT" AND, THAT THAT THE IP THE DIRECTIONS WANTED ME TO TYPE IN OPENED THE ROUTERS' SET UP PAGE!..UGH!

If your network is not using a 192.168.1.x address, then it will not work with a router between the two devices as they are using a different subnet.
BOTH SUBNETS ARE 255.ETC ETC.

Connect an ethernet cable directly from your computer to the print server,
I JUST REMEMBERED THAT THE PRINTER IS ALREADY CONNECTED TO THE COMPUTER PRINTER PORT!..LET ME UN-DO THAT CONNECTION. HOWEVER, WHAT GOOD WILL YOUR DIRECTION DO IN THIS CASE?

using the address information you mentioned earlier, and it should work.
DID YOU READ HOW FAR I GOT (IN RED)?

Then change it to an available IP on your network.
???????

Before we tell you how to do that, go back to DHCP on your desktop and let us know what the IP address, subnet mask, and gateway are.
??????...LET ME CHANGE THE IP ON BOTH ROUTERS FIRST SO THAT THERE WILL BE NO CONFLICT WITH THE IP THE DIRECTIONS WANT ME TO ENTER.

Geoff

VIP Member
If your network is not using a 192.168.1.x address, then it will not work with a router between the two devices as they are using a different subnet.
BOTH SUBNETS ARE 255.ETC ETC.
The subnet mask may be the same, but the network isn't. For instance, if your print server and PC are set with a static 192.168.1.xx 255.255.255.0 address, and your router is using a 192.168.0.xx 255.255.255.0 address, it won't work.

Connect an ethernet cable directly from your computer to the print server,
I JUST REMEMBERED THAT THE PRINTER IS ALREADY CONNECTED TO THE COMPUTER PRINTER PORT!..LET ME UN-DO THAT CONNECTION. HOWEVER, WHAT GOOD WILL YOUR DIRECTION DO IN THIS CASE?

It should be printer > print server > router. How is your PC also connected to the printer?

By connecting your computer directly to the print server, it will only force you to change the IP address of your computer, and not touch the network configuration on your router.

??????...LET ME CHANGE THE IP ON BOTH ROUTERS FIRST SO THAT THERE WILL BE NO CONFLICT WITH THE IP THE DIRECTIONS WANT ME TO ENTER.
You're just creating more work for yourself, and you risk breaking your network. Just connect your PC directly to your print server with the static IP the manual tells you to use, then change the print server to use the correct network which your router is already setup to use.

Da Mail Man

The subnet mask may be the same, but the network isn't. For instance, if your print server and PC are set with a static 192.168.1.xx 255.255.255.0 address, and your router is using a 192.168.0.xx 255.255.255.0 address, it won't work.
GEEZ, THIS IS STARTING TO STRESS ME A BIT!

It should be printer > print server > router. How is your PC also connected to the printer?
UP UNTIL 5 MIN AGO, THE PRINTER WAS CONNECTED VIA PRINTER PORT DIRECTLY INTO A PC. I UN-DID THAT CONNECTION AND NOW IT IS AS FOLLOWS - USB PRINTER>USB PORT ON PRINT SERVER>CAT5 FROM PRINT SERVER>LAN PORT ON WIRED ROUTER (I HAVE KILLED THE POWER ON THE WIRELESS ROUTER FOR THE TIME BEING).

By connecting your computer directly to the print server, it will only force you to change the IP address of your computer, and not touch the network configuration on your router.
ALL COMPUTERS WILL REMAIN OFF EXCEPT THE ONE IN ANOTHER ROOM WHICH I AM USING AT PRESENT. I CANNOT HAVE/LEAVE ANOTHER COMPUTER ON AND "FUNNEL" A PRINT REQUEST THROUGH IT. WHAT I SEEK IS FOR A PRINT REQUEST TO THE PRINTER TO COME FROM THIS COMPUTER WHICH IS IN ANOTHER ROOM.

You're just creating more work for yourself, and you risk breaking your network. Just connect your PC directly to your print server with the static IP the manual tells you to use, then change the print server to use the correct network which your router is already setup to use.
AS ABOVE - COMPUTER IN USE IS IN ANOTHER ROOM (THIS ONE) AND ALL OTHERS MUST REMAIN OFF".

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
I can see the misunderstanding. I'm not talking about leaving the printer connected to your computer, what I'm saying is you initially connect your computer to the print server so you can reconfigure the print server. When I say reconfigure, I mean go to the web interface after the two devices are connected using the IP configuration in the print server manual, then change the IP address to another IP that is available on your network. To determine this, set your computer to DHCP, look at the gateway under the network status, and there's a good bet you can use the IP one or two above it, i.e. 192.168.0.5.

Da Mail Man

THE MANUAL:

ftp://support.dlink.co.in/print_server/DP-300U/manual/DP-300U_B2_Manual_1.12(ww).pdf

I can see the misunderstanding.
GRIN

I'm not talking about leaving the printer connected to your computer, what I'm saying is you initially connect your computer to the print server so you can reconfigure the print server.
OK

When I say reconfigure, I mean go to the web interface after the two devices are connected
I HAVE A PRINTER CABLE GOING FROM PRINT SERVER (LPT1 LABELED PORT) ON THE PRINT SERVER TO THE PRINTER PORT ON THE COMPUTER. ACCORDING TO THE MANUAL. THE ACCESS IS 192.168.0.10 AS DEFAULT CONFIG PAGE FOR THE PRINT SERVER WHICH DISPLAYS NOTHING. REMEMBER ALSO THAT I CHANGED TEH TCP/IP SETTINGS TO 192.168.0.52 SUBNET MASK 255.255.255.0

using the IP configuration in the print server manual,
LET ME SAY THIS, WHEN I DID WHAT THEY SUGGESTED (tcp/ip), I LOST NET ACCESS UNLESS I SET THE IP CONFIGURATION THE DIRECTIONS WANT ME TO AND THEN SET THEM BACK.

then change the IP address to another IP that is available on your network.
THE MORE I READ THE MORE I GET CONFUSED...I WILL MAKE THE CONNECTIONS AS SUGGESTED, CHANGE THE TCP/IP SETTINGS AS I MENTIONED EARLIER, I HAVE ALREADY CHANGED THE IP ADDRESS OF THE ROUTER TO SOMETHING "WAY OUT THERE".

To determine this, set your computer to DHCP,
????????..I BELIEVE IT IS SET THAT WAY NOW AND FUNNY THING, I WAS TOLD EARLIER WHEN GETTING THE 2 ROUTERS TO "PLAY NICE" TO DISABLE IT BUT, IT IS STILL "UP".

look at the gateway under the network status,
ENGLISH - SPEAK ENGLISH!..LOL

and there's a good bet you can use the IP one or two above it, i.e. 192.168.0.5.

Last edited:

Da Mail Man

......A thought:

...The print server (ps) came with a disc and not sure what is on it. It would seem to me that I should still be able to configure the "ps" as I have been or instructed to do so.

...However, since that isn't working out too well:(, I will install the disc (around noon eastern time). FURTHER, I WONDER IF IT WOULD BE ADVANTAGEOUS TO UNINSTALL THE PRINTER ALTHOUGH, BEING THAT I MAY NT BE ABLE TO BECAUSE OF THE DRIVERS.

Geoff

VIP Member
THE MANUAL:

ftp://support.dlink.co.in/print_server/DP-300U/manual/DP-300U_B2_Manual_1.12(ww).pdf

I can see the misunderstanding.
GRIN

I'm not talking about leaving the printer connected to your computer, what I'm saying is you initially connect your computer to the print server so you can reconfigure the print server.
OK

When I say reconfigure, I mean go to the web interface after the two devices are connected
I HAVE A PRINTER CABLE GOING FROM PRINT SERVER (LPT1 LABELED PORT) ON THE PRINT SERVER TO THE PRINTER PORT ON THE COMPUTER. ACCORDING TO THE MANUAL. THE ACCESS IS 192.168.0.10 AS DEFAULT CONFIG PAGE FOR THE PRINT SERVER WHICH DISPLAYS NOTHING. REMEMBER ALSO THAT I CHANGED TEH TCP/IP SETTINGS TO 192.168.0.52 SUBNET MASK 255.255.255.0

using the IP configuration in the print server manual,
LET ME SAY THIS, WHEN I DID WHAT THEY SUGGESTED (tcp/ip), I LOST NET ACCESS UNLESS I SET THE IP CONFIGURATION THE DIRECTIONS WANT ME TO AND THEN SET THEM BACK.

then change the IP address to another IP that is available on your network.
THE MORE I READ THE MORE I GET CONFUSED...I WILL MAKE THE CONNECTIONS AS SUGGESTED, CHANGE THE TCP/IP SETTINGS AS I MENTIONED EARLIER, I HAVE ALREADY CHANGED THE IP ADDRESS OF THE ROUTER TO SOMETHING "WAY OUT THERE".

To determine this, set your computer to DHCP,
????????..I BELIEVE IT IS SET THAT WAY NOW AND FUNNY THING, I WAS TOLD EARLIER WHEN GETTING THE 2 ROUTERS TO "PLAY NICE" TO DISABLE IT BUT, IT IS STILL "UP".

look at the gateway under the network status,
ENGLISH - SPEAK ENGLISH!..LOL

and there's a good bet you can use the IP one or two above it, i.e. 192.168.0.5.
It won't work unless you are connected directly to the print server with an ethernet cable, or you change your router IP and DHCP pool.

Da Mail Man

It won't work unless you are connected directly to the print server with an ethernet cable, or you change your router IP and DHCP pool.

I WILL RE-ATTEMPT THE ETHERNET CABLE (CAT5) SHORTLY.

Da Mail Man

....Well, no MF-ing success:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

...Installed the software that came with the "ps" and it seemed "somewhat" straight forward but darn-it, again while everything was connected properly, and i reconnected the computer as "normally", i had no internet access with that computer!...It seems that whatever i do, the f'ing thing changes the ip settings of my net adapter and kills the internet of that computer:mad:.

...i went to teh computer i am currently using in the other room and found no printers visible and to be expected. When going through "Micocraps'' configuration to add a printer, it asks me for a name which i had given the computer and says it cannot find it or similar, and i am done right there!

...while the "ps" was connected to the "config computer" (that loses it's net capabilities when i follow directions), the software that i installed for the "ps" had a button on it that said "print a test page" and it did. However, trying to connect to it any other ways is a lost cause.

...what if I connected the printer to the "ps", the ps via cat 5 to the wireless router (which i hate to do), would i have the same troubles or what?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
The print server most likely needs to be assigned an IP address that fits with the rest of your network. Once it's configured correctly you shouldn't have any issues connecting to the internet.

Geoff

VIP Member
The print server most likely needs to be assigned an IP address that fits with the rest of your network. Once it's configured correctly you shouldn't have any issues connecting to the internet.
Exactly.

Mail Man, the issue sounds like your print server already has a static IP which is set to a different network than your home network. So when you plug it in, it won't work unless you change it to match your network settings.

Tell us what the IP address is that you get when connected to DHCP, then we can tell you what you should change it to.

Da Mail Man

The print server most likely needs to be assigned an IP address that fits with the rest of your network.
MAN, AM I STRESSED...I AM NOT TO FAR FROM PUTTING THE PS ON EBAY!...I HAVE ALREADY CHANGED AT THE START, THE IP OF THE WIRED ROUTER TO ".177" TO GET IT OUT OF THE WAY SO TO SPEAK.

Once it's configured correctly you shouldn't have any issues connecting to the internet.
HOWEVER, THE BUZZ WORD IN ALL THIS IS "CORRECTLY"! I HAD A "STRESSED" THOUGHT THAT I COULD FOR SOME ODD REASON, CONNECT THE PRINTER TO THE WIRELESS ROUTER BUT, WHAT THE HECK GOOD WILL THAT DO?....I HAVE TO RUN THIS THROUGH TCIP AND FROM ANOTHER LOCATION IN MY RESIDENCE....SOME OF THE VIDEOS I HAVE SEEN SPEAK OF WIRELESS PRINTERS OR, HAVE AN OPERATING SYSTEM OTHER THAN XP PRO.

Last edited:

Da Mail Man

Exactly.

Mail Man, the issue sounds like your print server already has a static IP which is set to a different network than your home network. So when you plug it in, it won't work unless you change it to match your network settings.

Tell us what the IP address is that you get when connected to DHCP, then we can tell you what you should change it to.

Exactly.

Mail Man, the issue sounds like your print server already has a static IP which is set to a different network than your home network.
I HAVE THE ABILITY W/IN THE PROGRAM FOR THE PS TO ASSIGN ANY IP I WANT AND SO I DID...PRINT REQUEST ROUTING TO/FROM/FINDING IT WITH MY OTHER COMPUTER IS ANOTHER ISSUE.

So when you plug it in, it won't work unless you change it to match your network settings.
I HAVE AN IP FOR THE WIRED ROUTER, I HAVE ASSIGNED AN IP ADDRESS FOR THE PS THAT I ASSIGNED THROUGH THE PS SOFTWARE, I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING MORE ABOUT SETTING THAT UP THROUGH THE WIRED ROUTER AND REMEMBER, EVERY TIME I ATTEMPT TO DO THIS WITH MY "CONFIG" COMPUTER I LOSE INTERNET ACCESS WITH THAT COMPUTER! (PS USB PORT TO PRINTER USB, CAT5 FROM PS TO WIRED ROUTER. THIS IS HOW THEY WANT THE CONFIGURATION SET UP. AFTER THAT, I REMOVE THE CAT5 CABLE AND RECONNECT IT TO THE WIRED ROUTER AND THAT IS WHEN I HAVE NO NET ACCESS).

THE WIRED ROUTER ACCESS WAS CHANGED FROM THE DEFAULT 192.168.1.1 TO 192.168.1. 177. THIS DHCP ISSUE IS A MYSTERY TO ME!

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Why did you change the router to .177? You should make it easy and keep it at 192.168.1.1 and assign the print server to 192.168.1.177 instead.