Wireless router and Wired router conflict problem

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
A general rule of thumb is to keep your gateway at the 1 address. The second router, the wireless one I believe, should be something like 192.168.1.2 (again to keep things simple). Then you can make the print server 192.168.1.3. If you just randomly assign stuff, you're just going to have a cluster of a network and it'll be a pain in the ass to work with if you need to down the road.

Da Mail Man

A general rule of thumb is to keep your gateway at the 1 address.
however, not the rule of law:). LIKE I SAID, SINCE MOST OF THE "ITEMS" I HAVE EVER SEEN INSTALLED, THE IP'S START LOW AND THUSLY, THAT IS WHY I MOVED/CHANGED THE IP OF THE ROUTER "AT THE END OF THE HIGHWAY" AND TO BE SURE IT IS OUT OF THE WAY SO-TO-SPEAK.

The second router, the wireless one I believe, should be something like 192.168.1.2 (again to keep things simple).
NOT GONNA MESS WITH THAT 9AS FAR AS GETTING A PRINTER TO IT) ALTHOUGH, I AM NOT SURE WHAT THAT IP ADDRESS IS AT THIS WRITING - MAY BE 192.168.1.10 OR SIMILAR BUT, I KNOW IS NOT CONFLICTING.

Then you can make the print server 192.168.1.3.
1ST) I HAVE TO GET THE IP OF THE WIRELESS ROUTER TO PLAY IT SAFE. 2ND), WHAT I NEED TO KNOW IS *HOW* TO GET THE IP OF THE PRINT SERVER (PS) SO I WILL HAVE THAT IN HAND.

If you just randomly assign stuff, you're just going to have a cluster of a network and it'll be a pain in the ass to work with if you need to down the road.
I AM NOT NECESSARILY DOING THAT. I HAVE THE WIRED ROUTERS' IP, I HAVE (BUT JUST NOW FORGOT) THE IP ADDRESS OF THE WIRELESS ROUTER, AND NOW I NEED TO KNOW HOW AND WHERE TO LOOK FOR THE IP OF THE PRINT SERVER. THEN AFTER THAT, HOW TO GET MY COMPUTER IN THE OTHER ROOM (THIS ONE WITH XP) TO ACCESS THAT COMPUTER TO PRINT.

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Staff member
LIKE I SAID, SINCE MOST OF THE "ITEMS" I HAVE EVER SEEN INSTALLED, THE IP'S START LOW AND THUSLY, THAT IS WHY I MOVED/CHANGED THE IP OF THE ROUTER "AT THE END OF THE HIGHWAY" AND TO BE SURE IT IS OUT OF THE WAY SO-TO-SPEAK.

That's just stupid. The router is the most important part of the network, so putting it "out of the way" doesn't help. But if you want to do it that way and make things hard, that's totally up to you.

Geoff

VIP Member
I HAVE ASSIGNED AN IP ADDRESS FOR THE PS THAT I ASSIGNED THROUGH THE PS SOFTWARE
NOW I NEED TO KNOW HOW AND WHERE TO LOOK FOR THE IP OF THE PRINT SERVER.
Which is it? Did you assign it or or not?

Voyagerfan is 100% correct. Do not use .177 as your router IP. Keep it as 192.168.1.1, and set your other network hardware like your wireless router at 192.168.1.2, and the print server at say 192.168.1.3. Most consumer routers start the DHCP pool at 10 or 100, so DHCP addresses would most likely start at 192.168.1.10 or 192.168.1.100. Setting your router to .177 is a very bad thing to do, now you have it in the DHCP pool.

Da Mail Man

That's just stupid. The router is the most important part of the network, so putting it "out of the way" doesn't help. But if you want to do it that way and make things hard, that's totally up to you.

..It should not matter what the ip address is as long as it is not in conflict with any other ip! Knowing the ip and being sure it is not in conflict with another ip is not making it difficult at all!

Da Mail Man

Which is it? Did you assign it or or not?

Voyagerfan is 100% correct. Do not use .177 as your router IP. Keep it as 192.168.1.1, and set your other network hardware like your wireless router at 192.168.1.2, and the print server at say 192.168.1.3. Most consumer routers start the DHCP pool at 10 or 100, so DHCP addresses would most likely start at 192.168.1.10 or 192.168.1.100. Setting your router to .177 is a very bad thing to do, now you have it in the DHCP pool.

1) i have assigned an address to the wireless router (.103). no problem here!

2) i have the address to the WIRED router as previously stated.

3) i had and address and can assign an address through the PS software to anything i want.

4) when i did all this, and connected the cat5 cable to the WIRED ROUTER with tcp-ip "enabled" so to speak, i went into the other room and tried to determine how to access the printer from this computer.

5) It did not show any computers connected. BOTH computers have share printer/files enabled (printer/file sharing).

6) I gave the print server a name and wrote it down. when i went through the add-a-printer crapola, that was a dead end.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Normally when using a print server, the printer is connected to the print server, not the computer.

Da Mail Man

Normally when using a print server, the printer is connected to the print server, not the computer.

oops!.....my mis typing!..........

1) PRINTER IS CONNECTED TO PS VIA USB CABLE TO USB PORT,

2) POWER SUPPLY IS CONNECTED TO THE PS IN THE PRESCRIBED MANNER,

3) PRINT SERVER IS CONNECTED TO THE WIRED ROUTER VIA CAT 5 CABLE.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Ever thought of buying a wireless printer? Wouldn't even need to hook up the print server.

Geoff

VIP Member

nope....I have a perfectly good printer here.
One could argue that with all the countless hours you've spent trying to get it to work, as well as on this forum trying get help, you would be better off either replacing your router with a new wireless router that has an integrated print server, or buy a wireless printer. Unless you don't find your time valuable.

Da Mail Man

One could argue that with all the countless hours you've spent trying to get it to work, as well as on this forum trying get help, you would be better off either replacing your router with a new wireless router that has an integrated print server, or buy a wireless printer. Unless you don't find your time valuable.

....what is this? - whack me around week? As i see it, there is no argument in that, i have a perfectly good and working laser printer and routers that don't need to be replaced.

...Also, the countless hours as you have penned it, although rather long, is a learning experience for me. What's the old saying? - Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime.

Geoff

VIP Member

....what is this? - whack me around week? As i see it, there is no argument in that, i have a perfectly good and working laser printer and routers that don't need to be replaced.

...Also, the countless hours as you have penned it, although rather long, is a learning experience for me. What's the old saying? - Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime.
Except we are trying to teach you, but you are not willing to do as we are suggesting. We tell you that you should change the IP of your routers and print server, but you insist on using an IP that is in the DHCP pool which is bound to cause issues at some point.

When we ask you a question, you give us a very round about response which usually doesn't answer our question. We tell you to connect your print server to your computer directly using the IP's in the manual, yet you go ahead and change your router IP for some reason.

There's a time when enough is enough. I wish you the best of luck in getting your print server working.

Da Mail Man

Except we are trying to teach you, but you are not willing to do as we are suggesting.
WRONG!..I FIGURED IT WOULD COME TO THIS! "PEOPLE" ARE MAKING A BIG ISSUE OUT OF WHAT I SET THE IP TO IN THESE ROUTERS AND I HAVE THEM SET THAT THEY ARE IN RANGE BUT SHOULD MAKE NO DIFFERENCE SETTING THEM TO "YOURS" OR MINE AS LONG AS THERE ARE NO CONFLICTS.

We tell you that you should change the IP of your routers and print server, but you insist on using an IP that is in the DHCP pool which is bound to cause issues at some point.
SEE ABOVE

When we ask you a question, you give us a very round about response which usually doesn't answer our question.
ROUND ABOUT RESPONSE?..ARE YOU CRAZY!??? I APPLY MY RESPONSE IN THE MOST ELEMENTARY FASHION I CAN AND I BREAK IT DOWN INTO NUMBERED LINES.

We tell you to connect your print server to your computer directly using the IP's in the manual,
AND I HAVE INDICATED THAT I HAVE DONE THAT AND IT FAILED TO WORK. IN FACT, IT ALSO CAUSED HARM TO THE CONFIG COMPUTER BY KILLING IT'S INTERNET ACCESS AND NOBODY HAS ADDRESSED THAT EITHER YET ALONE HOW TO DETERMINE AND FIND (FOR EXAMPLE) THE IP OF THE PRINTER/PRINT SERVER!

yet you go ahead and change your router IP for some reason.
ASKED AND ANSWERED IN AN ABOVE RESPONSE! WHY ARE YOU HAVING A TANTRUM ABOUT THIS? THERE ARE NO CONFLICTS AND NOTHING IS OUT OF RANGE!

There's a time when enough is enough. I wish you the best of luck in getting your print server working.
YOU MAY "TAKE YOUR BALL AND GO HOME" BECAUSE, THERE IS MORE THAN ONE IP ADDRESS THAT WILL WORK WITH THIS EQUIPMENT AS INDICATED ABOVE. GOOD LUCK TO YOU - YOUR COLORS ARE SHOWING.

Da Mail Man

UPDATE;

I am NOT sure how I got this to work:confused: but, somehow I did...BEATS ME....

......I re-set PS software interface and went to the remote (this one) computer "add a printer", etc and now it is working. Found the printer port, IP (my assigned ip by the way!:rolleyes:, and it works.

Last edited: