X2 3200+

wow. you lowered fsb(hypertransport) to 4x and wonder how memory bandwidth went down.

you dont have to be stupid to crash your computer, you just have to overclock it too far. generally crash != ruin though.
geil actually created ddr600 with a cas latency of like 1.5 i believe. speeds like that aren't really usable though... for system memory haha. it would do good for a 7900gtx... actually my 7900gtx has much faster memory than that. 1.6ghz 1.78ghz overclocked... 1.1ns
'
hmm wow. i thought cpu speed was the core speed (not actually the front side bus, though its often referred to as the front side bus) times the cpu multiplier.
either way my memory is definitely better... and "for future refernce" the core speed (what you refer to as fsb) is what the motherboard bases the cpu speed off of, and what it bases the memory speed off of. some motherboards support memory dividers, some don't...
funny how my timings are lower than yours... and my frequency is higher... oh and my bandwidth is like twice yours.
PWNED

Ok, you just said the mobo bases the memory speed off your core speed. Would you please explain how that works? Becuz my memory doesnt run at 2ghz as my cpu does. And never did i said they were the same thing, i said they pretty much were, as in your FSB directly effects the cpu speed. And yes, it is the FSB that is multiplied to get the cpu core speed smart one.

fade2green514

core speed =200mhz (stock)
cpu multiplier = 10 (for me at least)
10*200 = 2000mhz (stock)
memory = 1:1 (ratio of core speed to memory speed)... meaning 200mhz, or ddr400
lower the memory divider, to 166mhz... and then it takes .83 and multiplies it by the core speed to get the memory speed.
for instance, i overclocked my core speed to 240mhz making my memory speed 240mhz or ddr480... and my cpu speed 2400mhz. if i were to use a memory divider of 166/200 then it would just multiply .83 by 240mhz ultimately giving me 199.2mhz or about ddr400 anyways... so i kept my memory at stock speed, yet overclocked my cpu 400mhz.
also, hypertransport uses a multiplier (not a divider) like the cpu (not the memory)
default, it uses a multiplier of 5x making it 1ghz... but it runs in two different lanes like dual channel so technically its like 1ghz dual channel...
lower the multiplier to 4x with the fsb at 240 and youve got 960mhz instead of 1000mhz

so ultimately i leave my comp at those settings... around 2.4ghz cpu, ddr480 (though it can be increased to like ddr530 or so) and 960mhz hypertransport. and yes, hypertransport effects memory speed too, though memory speed bottlenecks it, it won't soon in the future because of ddr2 memory.
i used to keep my old memory on a 166mhz divider (.83multiplier) because it couldnt handle speeds like ddr480... but that was when i had 1gb of memory... not 2gb.
then, theres cas latency and other memory latency's which aren't effected by anything like a core speed... the lower the latency the better.

you can generally lower a cpu multiplier on any chip if the motherboard allows, but only the FX chips have an unlocked upward multiplier. so i could change my multiplier to 9x if i wanted, but 11x and up are locked because its not an FX chip.

they should make overclocking guides for AMD rigs and overclocking guides for intel rigs. lol they have two seperate sections for each on overclock.net ...
ill even type the AMD guide myself lol.. if they care...

Last edited:
wow........that was pretty funny. Core speed 200mhz LOL. This isnt 1995 dude, we have the technology!! Its called the front side bus, which you refer to as the core speed. The core speed is the multiplied front side bus. Thank you for that, that was pretty freakin hilarious.

I just skimmed it, but everything but the first part seem to be good.

fade2green514

core speed != cpu speed.
core meaning central. meaning everything else is based off of it.
intel uses the word front side bus, amd uses the word hypertransport because its better than just a front side bus.
intels core speed is now 266mhz, and their fsb is 533, 800, or 1066 mhz, soon to add 1333mhz. too bad you're wrong.

Geoff

VIP Member
wow........that was pretty funny. Core speed 200mhz LOL. This isnt 1995 dude, we have the technology!! Its called the front side bus, which you refer to as the core speed. The core speed is the multiplied front side bus. Thank you for that, that was pretty freakin hilarious.

I just skimmed it, but everything but the first part seem to be good.

AMD's dont have a front side bus. They have a similar technology called Hyper Transport.

fade2green514

the core only looks bigger. AMD dual cores are fabricated together just making the core look larger than a single core... but yet looking like a single core. you would need to look at a comparison of a regular 90nm single core right next to it.

I do relize that AMD has HT, but i still call it front side bus as it just makes more sense to me. But yes, technically its not the FSB. But in intels case, he is right that the core speeds of intel was 266,533 and so on, about 10 years ago lol. LOL. Im sorry dude, your just freakin hilarious. But you did get one thing right, the core speed is part of the cpu speed. Now we just need you to understand the concept of the front side bus/HT.

Do you not relize how incorrect your logic is? Ill just post here the facts and watch you try and fight a losing battle everytime i need a good laugh, cuz iv really never laughed so much, i mean, most ppl are wrong 2-3 times tops and wont admit it, but you just keep goin and goin its pretty funny.

Jet

VIP Member
Core speed "would" be the same as FSB/HT, because if you think about it, it is the speed that everything else is based on. He meant FSB/HT, so don't keep making fun of him!!

fade2green514

I do relize that AMD has HT, but i still call it front side bus as it just makes more sense to me. But yes, technically its not the FSB. But in intels case, he is right that the core speeds of intel was 266,533 and so on, about 10 years ago lol. LOL. Im sorry dude, your just freakin hilarious. But you did get one thing right, the core speed is part of the cpu speed. Now we just need you to understand the concept of the front side bus/HT.

Do you not relize how incorrect your logic is? Ill just post here the facts and watch you try and fight a losing battle everytime i need a good laugh, cuz iv really never laughed so much, i mean, most ppl are wrong 2-3 times tops and wont admit it, but you just keep goin and goin its pretty funny.

core 2 duo has an fsb of 1066mhz, but its core speed is 266mhz. dont believe me? then why do the core 2 duo's come in increments of 266mhz?
e6300 = 266mhz*7 = 1.862ghz (1.86ghz)
e6400 = 266mhz*8 = 2.128ghz (2.13ghz)
e6600 = 266mhz*9 = 2.394ghz (2.4ghz)
e6700 = 266mhz*10 = 2.660ghz (2.66ghz)

you keep confusing fsb with core speed. its not the same thing.
all of the above processors have a core speed of 266mhz, and an fsb of 1066mhz. the only difference is the cpu multiplier.
just how athlon 64's have a core speed of 200mhz, hence they come in increments of 200mhz. amd did the same thing, same fsb, same core speed... different cpu multiplier.

Last edited:
This is too good. I cant stop laughing. Ok, we will go with your logic. But my cpu still has a core speed of 2ghz. So i guess i have the fastest processor in the world LOL.

Oh, and to nudge you in the right direction once again. What you are refering to as the core speed, is actually the front side bus/ht, and what you refer to as the front side bus is the bus speed. Do not confuse front side bus with bus, they are 2 different things. In intels case, the bus speed is the front side bus quad pumped to give you your "front side bus" or as us ppl with knowledge would call it, bus speed.

Last edited:

fade2green514

okay, read it.
http://www.computerforum.com/106904-post5.html
"the net speed of a CPU is determined by the product of the core speed (sometimes called the FSB) and the multiplier"
core speed. commonly known as FSB.
core speed != speed of the cpu core
http://www.intel.com/products/processor/core2duo/specifications.htm
funny because intel doesnt call it a "bus" they call it a "front side bus" like i said.
Do not confuse front side bus with bus
haha...

why are we arguing about the names of the different frequencies? oh well..
i was right anyways... haha

Last edited: