• Windows XP

Votes: 47 58.8%
  • Windows Vista

Votes: 33 41.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

deankenny

after using both on my machine, i found that games perform 20%-50% better on XP than VISTA therefore i obviously prefer XP what do you prefer and why?

PC eye

banned
Most games currently out were written for the 2000/ME/XP type operating environment. If you ran one old 16bit MSDos game(Duke3D in mind) on 95(16bit native) it ran faster there then on 98SE(32bit). Likewise new games soon to be out should see an overall improvement since those will have Vista in mind there.

The same can be said about games in the 32bit editions of Vista seeing faster frame rates then seen with the 64bit editions since they native to 32bit. The advantage seen in Vista surprisingly is crash control measures now seen. Vista runs games far more stabily then the numerous lockups and crashes to the desktop seen in XP. You can't count the number of hard boots seen in XP from games locking up solid in XP.

This is one big improvement now seen in Vista with a different type of blue screen where you can now choose between shutting the system down, returning to try and still run a game running into problems, or simply ending it and returning to the desktop. In fact games that are 6-7yrs. old actually perform better and run more stable in the new version.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
Vista

IF they perform worse on XP, its because your hardware is either very low-end or out-dated, no offense :)

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
So several low-end systems?! :p j/k

I personaly find vista to run faster/ more stable for me over XP. From my experience.

PC eye

banned
Those ran both ATI and NVidia cards on those. In fact I was running NVidia GeForce models until going for the Radeon line a few builds back. That one saw 3 separate cards used there 2 NVidia. And none of those systems were prebuilds either. I kind of miss that old build seeing XP/98/Linux on it.

jutnm

Vista- works faster, boots faster, easier to use , games work great and better.

just a thought , isnt XP like Vista when they first both came out, windows XP had bugs when it came out, so give vista some time

Vista FTW!

I love it, Vista does have an option to turn off UAC(User Account Control) and many ppl haven't figured that out yet when it's right in the control panel, so you really can't complain about that. I find this funny, this forum has a few CCNA, A+ Cert, or ppl with lots of knowledge, they hate Vista but, they can't figure out how to open the Control Panel and go through two menus to disable the only annoyance. :rolleyes:

Jabes

banned
Vista FTW!

I love it, Vista does have an option to turn off UAC(User Account Control) and many ppl haven't figured that out yet when it's right in the control panel, so you really can't complain about that. I find this funny, this forum has a few CCNA, A+ Cert, or ppl with lots of knowledge, they hate Vista but, they can't figure out how to open the Control Panel and go through two menus to disable the only annoyance. :rolleyes:

haha I just booted from my vista disk today and found out that theres system restore built-in to it :D:D:D

PC eye

banned
That was the first thing I found here was how to shut off the UAC annoyance! I didn't even have to read an article to dissect Vista in that regard since the security prompts for everything I was trying to initially install was getting in the way. :p

Now that Vista has been out for the last several months you are starting to see more positive reviews and tips on improving overall system performance along with explainations on some of the newer features now automatic in Vista like the Super Prefetch only manually enabled in XP after SP2 came out. Vosta prestages the most often used games and apps in a form of standby mode allowing for faster loading times. With XP SP2 you had to manually see this done. http://www.msblog.org/?p=88

arisejesus

windows XP

windows vista is very clever in consuming memory, the aero interface eats up lots of memory. so i still prefer XP due to my budget, performance and also cost.

PC eye

banned
Do you want to know one of the first things done here with Vista besides disabling the UAC feature? Get rid of all the ""eye candy" that MS was trying to sell in order to use the Classic Windows style. Yet my current desktop is still kind of an "eye grabber". :eek: :p

Do you want to know one of the first things done here with Vista besides disabling the UAC feature? Get rid of all the ""eye candy" that MS was trying to sell in order to use the Classic Windows style. Yet my current desktop is still kind of an "eye grabber". :eek: :p

How do you put up with that?

XP works, period. And I hate Vista's Windows Explorer and files search. I also couldn't care less about eye candy. Guess I'm old school.

Status
Not open for further replies.