Your Opinion: Bulldozer vs. Sandy Bridge

spynoodle

I stand by what i said before: everythis is speculation and rumours for now. :)

Altough I'm loving my new AMD build :D
Seems pretty sweet for gaming. The fact that it has 4 cores is probably why it beats your Pentium Dual @ 4.xGHz, right? How much faster is it compared to your Pentium?

linkin

VIP Member
Well I score about a thousand more points in vantage but in 06 i score 2k less :eek:

Haven't really done much gaming yet, still installing stuff. Gunna buy metro 2033 and install crysis again.

87dtna

pretty hard to accurately base an intel VS AMD argument when comparing an old tech socket 775 dual core with slow DDR2 ram VS the latest AMD architecture quad core with ddr3 1600.

linkin

VIP Member
Well I just got this chip overclocked and I score more in vantage and about 16.5k in 06 now. Just need a better cooler... i'll have to run some other benchmarks.

spynoodle

I always thought that Vantage and 06 were multithreaded. I guess only vantage is. Good luck with your further overclocking!

87dtna

No, 06' is very CPU clockspeed dependent. The dual core had a much higher clockspeed. Vantage is a better benchmark of true graphics performance.

87dtna

No thats not it. The higher clockspeed sways the graphics scores in 06' when it should not really affect them (unless the CPU is a bottleneck). In vantage, the GPU score is almost totally unaffected by the CPU's clockspeed. The CPU score will be higher with a quad even at lower clockspeed for both 06' and vantage. But the GPU scores are higher with a higher clockspeed with 06', no matter if it's a quad or not.

mx344

^^awesome game :p jus playd it a few days on ago on the ps3 :D I love all those pixels on the 60' tv haha.

fastdude

Thread bump :p

I don't care how good Bulldozer is or will be, just look at this picture.
the_bridge_appears_sandy.jpg

I mean, how can you not love it?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=5&subid=1906

W-type

seriously

well I feel that amd is getting ahead of themselves here. I mean they had the 12 core magny cours but those are extremely expensive and not as efficient as could and should be. Intel has always dominated the market of cpus and Bulldozer wont change it. Intel is being smart. Get the new architecture down and then increase cores. AMD is going to flop. AMD has weaker architecture anyway. If they are worse at 40nm then Intel is at 45nm just wait. Intel has THE most features in their cpus and are really top notch. Intel forever

Amd was the 1st to put out a 64bit cpu plus the 1st dual core. Amd ever challenged to a dual core test intel didn t show up. I woundn t sleep on amd. there isnt any thing with one or the other choose the 1 like.

W-type

I think it is all part of business one company gets ahead 4 awhile than the other does the same. If you choose to get sucked in by charts and graphs more than experiencing it yourself

ScottALot

I don't have a preference, so here's my input/summing up my favorite things.

Sandy Bridge Q1 - They're a significant improvement over the last generation of intel's chips, but not anything too amazing. They seem to have great overclockability and stability, but the process of getting them to that stability seems tedious.

Bulldozer - Their new architecture splitting off the cores into sets of two is genius. It's like hyperthreading, only without the performance loss from virtualizing. Dual-cores are one of the most significant performance increases we've seen and Bulldozer is truly taking multiple dual-cores and having them work together, but in independent pairs. Hopefully 990X will give these things the performance their potential deserves.

Q3/4 Sandy Bridge - These will include more core count and a vast performance increase. This is more like the 920-980X line being upgraded. The Q1 i7s are too close in performance to the Nehalem i7s, so I don't consider them true i7s unless they're strictly talking about i7-860/870 upgrade.