Z77X-UD5H + i5 3570K Bios setting help please - thanks

otaku

Basically, I need help with a MILD overclock (4.2 - 4.4)on my new rig
I did look around and read some other post but still a little confused - So please dont say i didnt do my homework before coming here and asking for help

After all, we all did ended up being helped by others when you first started overclocking and ended up being good at it - SO PLEASE, don't let the chain of love end with you

I've uploaded a screenshot to make it easier to explain - Im not going to OC my ram, just the CPU
again, all i am seeking its 4.2 to 4.4 OC

which way its better?

leave everything as default and just change the Turbo ratio to 4.2?
i did that before and ran some test and noticed that my vcore volt goes from .972v-1.129 ish (1601MHz-4201MHz) (31c - 62c temp) which is not bad right?

the other method which i havent tried yet - cuz i dont know how is
have a permanent OC speed of either 4.2 to 4.4 .... could you tell me what to change from those chart of my screenshot? - do i have to like set to vcore volt to 1.116v and set 3.5, run prime95 for 2 hours and if pass, same volt with 3.6 and so on until it fails and just add 0.001 volt? and do that all the way till 4.4?

again, i dont know which one to use, the 1600mhz with turbo to 4.4mhz and able to throttle down or have a 4.4 constant... is there a different option too? maybe a constant of 4.0 with option to turbo to 4.5 or etc
also, whats a "off-set voltage" that some people talk about

I dont ever leave my computer running 24/7. I only have it on for like 6 hours a day, lots of websurfing + BF3 game, and the times i dont use it, pc goes to sleep mode within 20 mins, so its not even running straight 6 hours all the time

Thats it guys - if you do find a Guide that matches my need - please post it

PS: Im a licensed Auto technician, if you need any help or have car related questions I'll be glad to help you too

242436_10151204971082702_1473196674_o.jpg

salvage-this

I have the same parts. Here is what I changed.

Turbo boost.......Disabled
C1E..................Disabled
C3/C6...............Disabled
CPU EIST...........Disabled

I left all other voltages on auto except for Vcore. I don't know what the rest of them do so I decided not to change them.

So here is how to do that other method.

Set the Vcore to 1.150v in the BIOS. Check stability with Prime95 or Intel Burn Test. If it passes go back into the BIOS and bump the multiplier up one. Test again. In Prime95, if you have a core stop or if you have a BSOD you will need to add a bit of voltage to keep it stable. Use small increments to keep the heat down. Repeat this process till you have your desired OC.

I looked around a bit and from what I was reading the safe voltages are around 1.35v-1.4v depending on cooling. I would keep it under 1.35v with the 212 Evo.

Keep the temps under 70c when running Prime95/IBT. Ivy Bridge has a thermal limit of 105c but you do not want to go near that if you want your chip to last a long time.

So to give you an idea of what my chip did I used 1.150v all the way to 4.1GHz. I got to 4.7GHz @ 1.375v and I settled with 4.5GHz @ 1.290v. 4.7GHz was not worth the voltages to me.

Hope this helps.

Virssagòn

VIP Member

I left all other voltages on auto except for Vcore. I don't know what the rest of them do so I decided not to change them.

Set the Vcore to 1.150v in the BIOS. Check stability with Prime95 or Intel Burn Test. If it passes go back into the BIOS and bump the multiplier up one. Test again. In Prime95, if you have a core stop or if you have a BSOD you will need to add a bit of voltage to keep it stable. Use small increments to keep the heat down. Repeat this process till you have your desired OC.

I looked around a bit and from what I was reading the safe voltages are around 1.35v-1.4v depending on cooling. I would keep it under 1.35v with the 212 Evo.

Keep the temps under 70c when running Prime95/IBT. Ivy Bridge has a thermal limit of 105c but you do not want to go near that if you want your chip to last a long time.

So to give you an idea of what my chip did I used 1.150v all the way to 4.1GHz. I got to 4.7GHz @ 1.375v and I settled with 4.5GHz @ 1.290v. 4.7GHz was not worth the voltages to me.

Hope this helps.

You can let turbo boost enabled though?

salvage-this

I suppose you could but it is best to disable it. Having the system change the value of your core speed while highly OCed is just asking for instability IMHO.

If I fine tuned the stability and voltages for my OC so that it is stable with the lowest voltages possible, I wouldn't want the system deciding to take it higher. That is if you manually set turbo core to OC higher than your current OC. I'm not really sure what would happen if you left turbo core at 3.8 and set your 24/7 OC at 4.5 :confused:

Last edited:

Virssagòn

VIP Member
I suppose you could but it is best to disable it. Having the system change the value of your core speed while highly OCed is just asking for instability IMHO.

If I fine tuned the stability and voltages for my OC so that it is stable with the lowest voltages possible, I wouldn't want the system deciding to take it higher. That is if you manually set turbo core to OC higher than your current OC. I'm not really sure what would happen if you left turbo core at 3.8 and set your 24/7 OC at 4.5 :confused:

I think the turbo disables automatically, I set the multiplier to 42 and I got 4.2ghz...

otaku

maybe this could help all of us, i found it in another arcticle

Base Clock: 100MHz
CPU Clock Ratio: 42
XMP: Profile 1
System Memory Multiplier: 16.00

Turbo Boost: Disabled
C1E, C3/C6 State Support, Thermal Monitor, and EIST: Disabled

Performance Enhance: Turbo
DRAM Timing Selectable: Auto

PWM Phase Control: eXm Perf
Vcore Voltage Response: Fast
Vcore Loadline Calibration: Turbo
Vcore Current Protection: Extreme
All other settings on the Phase Control screen left on Auto

CPU Vcore: 1.180V
DVID, Vtt, PLL, and IMC left on Auto

For a 4.3GHz clock figure around 1.19-1.20V, and for 4.4Ghz ~1.24V

otaku

It gives you a good idea of where it should be. Just be sure not to follow it as the setting for any 3570K. Each one will OC differently.

It was actually for an 3570k with ud5h

long story short - it was me asking in a different website forum

by the way .... the setting you gave me.

Hope this helps.

see if im doing this right:

set vcore 1.150v and mutiplyer clock ratio to 3.5 then run intel burn test
(i just installed that, should i run it with the default settings? like.. times to run : 10, level stress: standard ?
also, i just d/l prime 95 ... what settings so i run that? default?

OR should i set vcore 1.150v and start from 4.0?

when you said "use small increments" what is small? 0.001? or 0.005 or 0.010?

thanks again pal

salvage-this

It was actually for an 3570k with ud5h

Still each chip and motherboard will act differently. The point that I was making was that you can't just copy his settings and expect a fine tuned OC. I got my CPU to 4.7 after a few hours of slowly getting there. If I just threw it in there and set it to 4.7 it most likely would have failed to POST.

see if im doing this right:

set vcore 1.150v and mutiplyer clock ratio to 3.5 then run intel burn test
(i just installed that, should i run it with the default settings? like.. times to run : 10, level stress: standard ?
also, i just d/l prime 95 ... what settings so i run that? default?

OR should i set vcore 1.150v and start from 4.0?

when you said "use small increments" what is small? 0.001? or 0.005 or 0.010?

thanks again pal

Start with 1.150v and a multi of 35. I use Prime95 for stress testing. Make sure that you have the 64 bit version. I let it run for 15/20 minutes at a time till I get to the higher levels (4.2 and up) and get closer to whatever goal clock speed that I have.

I mentioned that you can probably get to 4.0/4.1 on stock volts just to give you an idea of what is most likely possible. You still want to work your way up from stock.

Smallest increments means that I want you to bump the voltage as little as possible when you do need to up the voltage. If you hit "+" in the BIOS while on the CPU Vcore settings, your motherboard will automatically raise the voltage in the lowest increments that it has been designed to do.

otaku

Still each chip and motherboard will act differently. The point that I was making was that you can't just copy his settings and expect a fine tuned OC. I got my CPU to 4.7 after a few hours of slowly getting there. If I just threw it in there and set it to 4.7 it most likely would have failed to POST.

Start with 1.150v and a multi of 35. I use Prime95 for stress testing. Make sure that you have the 64 bit version. I let it run for 15/20 minutes at a time till I get to the higher levels (4.2 and up) and get closer to whatever goal clock speed that I have.

I mentioned that you can probably get to 4.0/4.1 on stock volts just to give you an idea of what is most likely possible. You still want to work your way up from stock.

Smallest increments means that I want you to bump the voltage as little as possible when you do need to up the voltage. If you hit "+" in the BIOS while on the CPU Vcore settings, your motherboard will automatically raise the voltage in the lowest increments that it has been designed to do.

besides your:

did you disable Thermal Monitor
and did these?

PWM Phase Control: eXm Perf
Vcore Voltage Response: Fast
Vcore Loadline Calibration: Turbo
Vcore Current Protection: Extreme

and yes, i do have the 64 bit edition of wins 7.
so run prime 95 at default setting? like the blend test + number of torture: 4 ?

also, do you know anything about the offset voltage? like .. add or decrease voltage when not needed?

salvage-this

Go ahead and disable the extra features that the other user disabled in his system. Except for Thermal Monitor. As far as I know that is a safety measure that you will want to have on.

When I said get the 64 bit version I was talking about prime 95 64 bit. Not Windows 7 64 bit.

Edit: Yes. Blend will work fine for stress testing.

You can change the other voltages but until you know what they will effect it would be my opinion to leave them at auto or set them manually to the default voltage. I wouldn't advise changing voltages if you do not know what they do. AFAIK, a lot of those voltages are more for fine tuning if you are looking for a maximum OC/performance tuning.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
Go ahead and disable the extra features that the other user disabled in his system. Except for Thermal Monitor. As far as I know that is a safety measure that you will want to have on.

When I said get the 64 bit version I was talking about prime 95 64 bit. Not Windows 7 64 bit.

You can change the other voltages but until you know what they will effect it would be my opinion to leave them at auto or set them manually to the default voltage. I wouldn't advise changing voltages if you do not know what they do. AFAIK, a lot of those voltages are more for fine tuning if you are looking for a maximum OC/performance tuning.

I was been told to disable it because it lets the cpu on the voltage it wants...

salvage-this

I think that would be true but I am pretty sure that t would only kick in when your CPU is getting near problematic temperatures.

I have it enabled in my system and I accidentally put in 1.5v instead of 1.15v and the cpu used 1.5v for the OC settings. Temps were in the 90s till I shut it down manually.

@ otaku Disable it if you want but just be sure to watch the temps to make sure that they are always in an acceptable range.

otaku

I think that would be true but I am pretty sure that t would only kick in when your CPU is getting near problematic temperatures.

I have it enabled in my system and I accidentally put in 1.5v instead of 1.15v and the cpu used 1.5v for the OC settings. Temps were in the 90s till I shut it down manually.

@ otaku Disable it if you want but just be sure to watch the temps to make sure that they are always in an acceptable range.

I think im like you, i want to protect my new rig and since im new at OC, i wanna play it safe. i dont think im gonna be monitoring my temp once im done OC, i just want peace in mind

what are your settings for these?

PWM Phase Control:
Vcore Voltage Response:
Vcore Loadline Calibration:
Vcore Current Protection:

also, how long u had 4.5GHz @ 1.290v ???? few months with no issue?

and lastly, Im assuming ur not using offset voltage? so ur frecuency its always 4.5GHz? doesnt throttle down?

salvage-this

Sorry I have been AFK for a while. Work and school leaves me little time to myself.

I don't remember what settings that I put for those values. I most likely set them to Auto. When I get more time I will try to look up exactly what I have for those settings.

I just got my system build just over a week ago. I OCed it probably a week ago. No problems yet and I can't see any reason that I will have any in the future. Voltages sits just under 1.3v and temps idle at 28-35c and hit max mid 60s while gaming. Completely acceptable.

I am not entirely sure what Offset voltage does but disabling C1E, C3/C6 and CPU EIST should keep your CPU from underclocking.

Sorry again about the late reply. I'll try to keep on this thread.

otaku

Yes please, when you got a chance, check those settings im asking

This is what i have so far
miltiplyer 41 @ 1.150 Volts (default volt still)
Turbo boost................................disable
C1E...........................................disable
C3/C6........................................disable
CPU EIST....................................disable
Vcore Loadline Calibration...............TURBO

so far it passed all my prime 95 and intel burn test with good numbers
idle 30ish, under load 62ish

i'll keep playing till 4.4 and settle there