32-bit or 64-bit?

Honest Bill

I have a dilemma. I work from home by connecting to a remote server at our office in a neighboring town. I'm a real estate appraiser and we use software by alamode. I'm way overdue a new home computer and our IT guy says that I need Windows 7 32-bit because it will run faster than 64-bit. To do so means I will max out at 4GB of memory, which is way short of what I wanted and thought I needed. He swears that I will get much better performance with 32-bit, that it will run circles around 64-bit with 8-12GB of memory. Is this true? I sure hate to buy a sub-par computer by today's standards ... I'm ready to spend whatever it takes to get the latest and greatest, a computer that will last me for a few years. After all, my computer is my livilhood, and time is money. Thanks, Bill

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
your IT guy is an idiot. they both run at the same speed. you will see no difference except in a program that can run more than 4GB, which will be slower. You should run 64 bit.

jonnyp11

agreed, also, what computer are you looking at? we can help you pick one or what parts to upgrade, but it is best to build your own, it is cheaper, more powerful, and a little fun too.

MyCattMaxx

I assume you are using WinTOTAL.
The requirements say nothing about 32 or 64 bit.
Your IT man is probably clueless about it.

WinTotal.jpg

Edit: another page says 32 or 64 is good.

WinTotal2.jpg

Last edited:

G80FTW

Your first order of business should be to fire your IT guy.

BUT, I think it should be noted that there may not actually be any real advantage to building a 64-bit rig (with 12GB of RAM and what not) as 90% of applications out there are still 32-bit applications. So if your using 64-bit capable applications then you will see a difference, if all your applications are 32-bit then it wont matter.

MyCattMaxx

Your first order of business should be to fire your IT guy.

BUT, I think it should be noted that there may not actually be any real advantage to building a 64-bit rig (with 12GB of RAM and what not) as 90% of applications out there are still 32-bit applications. So if your using 64-bit capable applications then you will see a difference, if all your applications are 32-bit then it wont matter.
I'll disagree since this is his home computer and if he is going new he may as well go 64 bit, wouldn't you?
There is basically no cost difference except if you want more than 4 gig of memory.

The question now is if the OP wants to build or buy store bought.

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
Really there is no reason not to buy 64 bit, as windows cost the same no matter the bit rate, and 64 bit will run 32 bit apps. If you need 16 bit apps then you will need a copy of pro to run XP mode, but it will still run them.

G80FTW

I'll disagree since this is his home computer and if he is going new he may as well go 64 bit, wouldn't you?
There is basically no cost difference except if you want more than 4 gig of memory.

The question now is if the OP wants to build or buy store bought.

This is all true. I was just saying, there is not a real advantage to 64-bit yet. For whatever reason, it has not become mainstream yet even though its been around for more than a decade.

MyCattMaxx

This is all true. I was just saying, there is not a real advantage to 64-bit yet. For whatever reason, it has not become mainstream yet even though its been around for more than a decade.
Then why even bring up going 32 bit?
I use several apps that run better on 64 bit like WinRAR, video editing and a few other apps.
Plus the 4gig cap on 32 bit hurts what I do.
The OP sounded like the 4gig cap was an issue with him.

Last edited:

G80FTW

Then why even bring up going 32 bit?
I use several apps that run better on 64 bit like WinRAR, video editing and a few other apps.
Plus the 4gig cap on 32 bit hurts what I do.
The OP sounded like the 4gig cap was an issue with him.

Because there is no reason to completely alienate it. I have not seen any programs really run better in 64-bit as opposed to 32 bit, even 64-bit programs. And I dont think a 4GB limit would cause him any problems.

Im not saying go with 32-bit, I am saying there is not really any difference between the 2 in terms of performance (yet). Which his IT person said 32-bit was faster.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Because there is no reason to completely alienate it.

Why, if there is no reason to use the 32 bit. I call that to completely alienate it.

I have not seen any programs really run better in 64-bit as opposed to 32 bit, even 64-bit programs.

What (true) 64 bit program do you have that will run on a 32 bit OS.

And I dont think a 4GB limit would cause him any problems.

If he wants 8 to 12gb. of memory I would call using a 32 bit OS a slight problem.

Im not saying go with 32-bit, I am saying there is not really any difference between the 2 in terms of performance (yet). Which his IT person said 32-bit was faster.

Make up your mind which fact your going with. Cant argue from both sides of the fence.

G80FTW

Why, if there is no reason to use the 32 bit. I call that to completely alienate it.

What (true) 64 bit program do you have that will run on a 32 bit OS.

If he wants 8 to 12gb. of memory I would call using a 32 bit OS a slight problem.

Make up your mind which fact your going with. Cant argue from both sides of the fence.

Look, he said he WANTED 8-12GB of RAM, not that he NEEDS it. And from what it sounds like he is doing he doesnt NEED more than 4GB if that.

And Im not arguing both sides. Im saying that if he is building a computer to be used as a business computer, and it doesnt sound like he is doing any kind of heavy editing like photo/video, so there really should be no need to go with 8-12GB of RAM (I dont even use more than 2GB doing any video editing) so then there is no problem with running a 32-bit OS when it would be a waste of money to buy 12GB of RAM as opposed to 4GB which should suit his needs.

And what "true" 64-bit programs are there? I only have 2 64-bit programs on my PC right now. 90% of programs are 32-bit so as I said, there is no real advantage to having a 64-bit operating system yet until it becomes more mainstream (not sure why it hasnt yet) other than being able to use more RAM. Which is great if you need it, but I put money on it that he doesnt need it.

So here is my argument. He will be fine with 4GB of RAM, no need to invest in 8-12GB. In which case, 32-bit will suit his needs. If he wants to go with 64-bit then cool, Im saying there wont be a performance difference involved either way.

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
I really dont get your point on the OS!

Take your idea, he just gets 4gb. of memory and a 32 bit OS. Even at this point he still only gets access to less then the full 4gb. 3.75gb. or less depending on his set up.

Now later on he decides to upgrade his memory. He pretty much screwed isnt he? I dont see the point in 32 bit. How is it going to benefit him at all?

Benny Boy

running a 32-bit OS when it would be a waste of money to buy 12GB of RAM as opposed to 4GB which should suit his needs.

Maybe you know this program. I don't. I did take a quick look at it and its several programs/app or a suite. It looks like it has maps, charts, forms,etc,,several apps. If so then many of these will be open and in use at one time.
More importantly, 32bit won't make 3.XXgb as available since 7 will reserve what it wants. Then you have whats left to work with, + pagefile.sys. And everyone wants fewer pages filed whether they know it or not. Mostly because of the way 7 manages memory, not to mention the slim 4gb vs 8gb cost , 64 bit + 8gb is the way to go. There might be a time when saving $10-15 could make sence, but this isn't it.
there is no real advantage to having a 64-bit operating system yet until it becomes more mainstream (not sure why it hasnt yet) other than being able to use more RAM.
You answered your own argument.

@Honest Bill
You mentioned you need to upgrade your pc.
Did you mean upgrade your current one? With components? Windows 7? Is it worth the investment?
Or did you mean a new machine? As in the case and it's components?

If its the latter, and you don't want to be down because time is money, a business solution with same day service or loaner program might be for you.

Whether you want to buy or build, this forum can help with that.

Last edited:

Compequip

To the OP HonestBill, as long as the software supports 64 bit you should be fine. Here is a good article I found you might want to read.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-windows7-vista64-support-32bit-applications.htm

I have a program that I run soley for work that will only work with 32 bit. We even tried win. 7 ultimate and it ran into errors and wouldn't let the program run. But I believe this is largely due to the fact that the program doesn't have 64 bit drivers or something to this point. I'm not a software guy so I can't explain it very good. But as I can see doing a quick search myslelf, I'd run 64 bit with more memory that you want and double and triple check with your IT guy and ask if it's compatible. Or simply call the software company that makes the software and ask them :D.......

G80FTW

To the OP HonestBill, as long as the software supports 64 bit you should be fine. Here is a good article I found you might want to read.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-windows7-vista64-support-32bit-applications.htm

I have a program that I run soley for work that will only work with 32 bit. We even tried win. 7 ultimate and it ran into errors and wouldn't let the program run. But I believe this is largely due to the fact that the program doesn't have 64 bit drivers or something to this point. I'm not a software guy so I can't explain it very good. But as I can see doing a quick search myslelf, I'd run 64 bit with more memory that you want and double and triple check with your IT guy and ask if it's compatible. Or simply call the software company that makes the software and ask them :D.......

Iv never seen a 32-bit program that wont run in 64-bit. Although I remember having problems with 64-bit Vista back when it first came out..

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
Pro will run XP mode too. And running 16 bit programs is a very bad reason to not get 64 bit. If you have a 16 bit program then either dual boot with XP, or buy a 32 bit version of said program.

paulcheung

well I think run dual boot is the way to go. We have some 16 bits programs and some obsolute programs (mean the company bellyup) just can't run in 64bits. maybe that is the case of the OP?