32-bit or 64-bit?

G80FTW

I didn't have Windows in the cart, so I missed it by 90.
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=19826405
Everything but the APC and 2 monitors came to 630 shipped.
1100 everything shipped.

Thats before taxes and shipping. Trust me man, the price for the computer they sent him the quote for is not bad.

So your total comes to $1,063~ before taxes and shipping and his was $1,388 before taxes and that included shipping. That $,1388 also included a warranty and a 3 year upgrade warranty. Not something you can get with a computer you build yourself as I already stated. So for someone who is not computer savvy, which it sounds like the OP isnt, I would say building it himself may not be the best option down the road. It might save him money, but then he has to deal with whatever goes wrong with it.

Last edited:

Benny Boy

Yup thats what I said, 1100 shipped vs 1510 (call it 1445 if you want)
Have to live in the right place to have tax. Anyway, you'll never convince me. You base your premise on whatever you want. I'll base mine on this.
Store bought or build your own? I guess it doesn't matter, as long as itdoes what I need it to, is built with quality components to ensure reliability, and can be easily fixed whenever I need it.
I think the TS has enough info to make an informed decision.

Honest Bill

You guys are fricking awesome!

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in on this post. You have given me a ton of great information, and the dabate has been enlightening. The youtube video helped a lot with my edification and the build list put together was very helpful in comparing the cost of better components to what has been quoted to me.

Having gone through all the info, I've just now sent an email to the fellow who quoted me a system with a bunch more questions. I realize this is probably contrary to the way some of you feel, but trust me when I say it is best for someone else to build my system and to maintain and upgrade it when necessary. I lead a ridiculously busy life and there simply isn't any time for me to tinker with the mechanics of computers ... I just need them to blow and go whenever I need them, which is a lot ... cyberspace is a huge part of nearly everything I do.

G80FTW

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in on this post. You have given me a ton of great information, and the dabate has been enlightening. The youtube video helped a lot with my edification and the build list put together was very helpful in comparing the cost of better components to what has been quoted to me.

Having gone through all the info, I've just now sent an email to the fellow who quoted me a system with a bunch more questions. I realize this is probably contrary to the way some of you feel, but trust me when I say it is best for someone else to build my system and to maintain and upgrade it when necessary. I lead a ridiculously busy life and there simply isn't any time for me to tinker with the mechanics of computers ... I just need them to blow and go whenever I need them, which is a lot ... cyberspace is a huge part of nearly everything I do.

Its not for everyone, thats for sure. And if your like some of us here, a custom build can consume time when things go wrong. But, I think many agree thats part of the fun of building computers. Not so much fun when they are needed for a business though :D

Honest Bill

OK, based on the recommendations here and a ton of research on my part and discussions with the maker of the software I use for business and an ongoing conversation with the computer shop, we've put together the following system for my home office:

1 Lonestar Intel i7 3.4GHz Workstation (Black) 1,487.05
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
- Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Micro-ATX Motherboard
- Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
- Kingston 16GB PC3-10600 Memory (4 x 4GB)
- Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC
Internal Solid State Drive
- Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA HDD
- ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS 24X DVD+/-RW
- LITE-ON iHAS424-98 24X SATA DVD+/-RW w/ LightScribe
- AFT PRO-55U All-in-one USB 2.0 Card Reader
- PNY VCGGT4301XPB GeForce GT 430 1GB PCIe
Video Card
- Six USB Ports (2 Front, 4 Rear)
- Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet
- Integrated High Definition Audio
- Microsoft USB Keyboard
- Microsoft USB Mouse
- Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid-Tower Case
- Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W PS
- 3-Year Manufacturer's X-Ship Warranty
2 Acer V243HAJbd 24" LCD Monitor 2 x 191.67 = 383.34
- DVI & VGA Inputs, No Speakers
1 APC Back-UPS ES 750VA Desktop UPS 103.58
1 Ground Delivery 70.00
Sub-Total: 2,043.97
Tax (8.75%): 178.85
Total: 2,222.82

I need your no-holds-barred opinion, please. I know it's better than the previous system posted (and, of course, more expensive), but is it too much, still too little, or just about right? Did we miss anything, other than speakers (I'm going to use some I already have)? Are all the components mixed and matched properly? Remember, I'm not a gamer and this is for a home office and I don't mind paying someone to build this computer for me and tinkering with it as needed.

Thanks

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
That is far too much for that computer I think. Your paying them about 500+ for assembly.

And if you go for a 2600k (great CPU) then you want a p67 or z68/z77 motherboard. If you don't get one of them, then you will not be making use of teh k part and should just well get a 2600 non k.
everything else looks fine to me.

Honest Bill

That is far too much for that computer I think. Your paying them about 500+ for assembly.

Not to argue, but I figure about $350 based on newegg pricing ... I'm willing to pay that to have someone experienced build the computer and warranty it for 3 years ... plus, they have spent a considerable amount of time answering my questions and advising me, and I plan to use them to keep me up and running.

And if you go for a 2600k (great CPU) then you want a p67 or z68/z77 motherboard. If you don't get one of them, then you will not be making use of teh k part and should just well get a 2600 non k.
everything else looks fine to me.

Would this work? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128502 If not, what do you recommend? If so, is there something better? Do I even need the "K" version? Remember, I'm not a gamer. If I don't or if it's something that will not benefit me, is the motherboard they have put with this system OK? Is the 2600 "non K" OK?

Last edited:

jonnyp11

not sure why you're getting a gpu, i think that mobo supports the igpu, and you could use a corsair cx430 or something and save a few bucks, 650w is way overkill. looks good otherwise except as wolfe mentioned, the price

the k mean overclockable, looks like you don't want that so the mobo you linked would be fine.

and part of the problem with the price is a few parts are just more expensive alternatives, like a 1tb caviar black, it is great and all, but a 1tb seagate barracuda would do what you want for less money, they are slower but they still are plenty fast.

what is the case?

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
Not to argue, but I figure about $350 based on newegg pricing ... I'm willing to pay that to have someone experienced build the computer and warranty it for 3 years ... plus, they have spent a considerable amount of time answering my questions and advising me, and I plan to use them to keep me up and running.
well, your still over paying. At 350, that is about 200 an hour in labour assuming they never assembled a computer before. for a professional, your putting out more or less 466 an hour just for labour. The warranty is not worth that, as most of the parts have an equal or better warranty themselves. At most you should be putting out about 100 in labour. Thats about 175 an hour.

Would this work? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128502 If not, what do you recommend? If so, is there something better? Do I even need the "K" version? Remember, I'm not a gamer. If I don't or if it's something that will not benefit me, is the motherboard they have put with this system OK? Is the 2600 "non K" OK?
no you don't need one, but it will allow you to overclock and thus extend the life of your computer. But your just as well off with a plain old 2600, which you probably don't need. You probably only need a 2500(k) as it is not hyper threaded and performs about on par for $60 less. That board would be fine.

Honest Bill

not sure why you're getting a gpu, i think that mobo supports the igpu, and you could use a corsair cx430 or something and save a few bucks, 650w is way overkill. looks good otherwise except as wolfe mentioned, the price

By GPU, do you mean the 2600K? MOBO = motherboard? The motherboard they quoted works for the 2600K? What size and brand of power supply do I need? Please feel free to talk down to me ... this is all somewhere between Greek and Spanish to me ... I speak none of the former and very little of the latter.

the k mean overclockable, looks like you don't want that so the mobo you linked would be fine.

The motherboard I linked was to accomodate the "K". The motherboard they quoted was not suitable for "K" but OK for the 2600 "non K". Correct?

what is the case?

Antec 300 ATX Mid-Tower

Honest Bill

But your just as well off with a plain old 2600, which you probably don't need. You probably only need a 2500(k) as it is not hyper threaded and performs about on par for $60 less. That board would be fine.

The board they quoted or the one I linked? It would be fine with the 2600 "non K" or the 2500K?

Benny Boy

If your asking questions here, about what motherboard, what power supply, what's GPU, etc, and they have spent a "considerable amount of time" with you, then you haven't asked them the right questions and they haven't offered up any answers or comparisoms or info to you for you to have a basis on what your getting, as this forum has. All they've said is 'here's what you need' and when you mentioned warranty, they of course informed you of that money maker for them. We have members here that have been IT techs for decades, stay on top of technology, and can tell you about every little part that makes up every component-whether its brand X or brand Y. Don't get me wrong, I understand why you want the warranty. If peace of mind cost $125+ per year I'd be in bliss the rest of my life :)

I'll leave you with this:
How long have you had the old tower?
How many times did you use the warranty?
How many times did you call MS or anyone else for support?
How many times did you take it in for repairs?

If your not going to build it the best thing to do would be to pay your IT guy $100 on the side to build it with your parts and program it. Then, if ever needed, use the rest of the saved money to shop it, with him on a personal level, or his co.

Last edited:

jonnyp11

By GPU, do you mean the 2600K? MOBO = motherboard? The motherboard they quoted works for the 2600K? What size and brand of power supply do I need? Please feel free to talk down to me ... this is all somewhere between Greek and Spanish to me ... I speak none of the former and very little of the latter.

The motherboard I linked was to accomodate the "K". The motherboard they quoted was not suitable for "K" but OK for the 2600 "non K". Correct?

Antec 300 ATX Mid-Tower

GPU is graphics processing unit, the 2600k is a cpu or central processing unit, the gpu is for games and stuff like that while an igpu refers to an integrated gpu which refers to the intel HD3000 that is inside the 2600k processor. yes mobo is motherboard, some mobo's don't work with the igpu so they require a graphics card if you want to see what you're doing. the size really doesn't matter for the psu, anything over 300w should do the job, but generally you can get around 500w for only a few bucks more than a reliable 300w so why not get a bit more headroom for the future if you wanted a gpu later.

either motherboard will work fine with either processor, k or not, the only difference is the z68 and 2600k will allow you to overclock the processor, making it go faster than it is made for. this would need an aftermarket cooler though, but or ~30 bucks you get to go from 3.4 or so GHz to about 4.3 to 4.5GHz. if you get the z68 with a 2600 then you can't overclock because of the processor and if you get the b75 and 2600k then the mobo makes it un-overclockable, and 2600 and b75 is all around none overclockable.

that case is fine but a case with cable management is preferred so the wiring runs behind the motherboard and makes it look nicer inside and it will have better airflow.

Honest Bill

If your asking questions here, about what motherboard, what power supply, what's GPU, etc, and they have spent a "considerable amount of time" with you, then you haven't asked them the right questions and they haven't offered up any answers or comparisoms or info to you for you to have a basis on what your getting, as this forum has. All they've said is 'here's what you need' and when you mentioned warranty, they of course informed you of that money maker for them. We have members here that have been IT techs for decades, stay on top of technology, and can tell you about every little part that makes up every component-whether its brand X or brand Y. Don't get me wrong, I understand why you want the warranty. If peace of mind cost $125+ per year I'd be in bliss the rest of my life :)

Believe me, I have done a ton of research on my own in addition to chatting with you guys and way more than I ever thought I would. Yes, they threw a system at me based on what I initially told them. However, most of the components of the most recent revised system are different than what they initially included, based on my own research and what you guys have offered up.

Yes, I'm paying a pretty steep price for peace of mind, but it's worth it to me. I realize that's contrary to the way you guys do things, but again, I only have time to drive the machine.

Bottom line ... the system is better now, largely in part to you guys. Thanks

Honest Bill

How long have you had the old tower? 8 years ... Dell Dimension 4600
How many times did you use the warranty? Zero
How many times did you call MS or anyone else for support? A handful
How many times did you take it in for repairs? Zero

Good questions all ... I get the point.

If your not going to build it the best thing to do would be to pay your IT guy $100 on the side to build it with your parts and program it. Then, if ever needed, use the rest of the saved money to shop it, with him on a personal level, or his co.

Don't know that I feel comfortable doing that under my circumstances, but I would pay one of you guys $100 in a heartbeat to put a system together for me if you lived next door.

Honest Bill

Thanks for the GPU/CPU/et al computer lesson, jonnyp11 ... I may get a working knowledge of all this yet.

that case is fine but a case with cable management is preferred so the wiring runs behind the motherboard and makes it look nicer inside and it will have better airflow.

What case would you recommend, then? I was under the impression that the Antec was the Cadillac of the industry.

Honest Bill

Latest quote.

1 1292 Lonestar Intel i5 3.3GHz Workstation (Black) 1,395.05
- Intel Core i5-3550 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
- Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1TB
64MB Cache SATA HDD
Video Card
- Microsoft USB Keyboard
- Microsoft USB Mouse
2 ET.FV3HP.A02 Acer V243HAJbd 24" LCD Monitor 2 x 191.67 = 383.34
1 BE750G APC Back-UPS ES 750VA Desktop UPS 103.58
1 FREIGHT Ground Delivery 70.00
Sub-Total: 1,951.97
Sales Tax (8.75%): 170.80
Total: 2,122.77

1 1292 Lonestar Intel i5 3.3GHz Workstation (Black) 1,395.05
- Intel Core i5-3550 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
- Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1TB
64MB Cache SATA HDD
Video Card
- Microsoft USB Keyboard
- Microsoft USB Mouse
2 ET.FV3HP.A02 Acer V243HAJbd 24" LCD Monitor 2 x 191.67 = 383.34
1 BE750G APC Back-UPS ES 750VA Desktop UPS 103.58
1 FREIGHT Ground Delivery 70.00
Sub-Total: 1,951.97
Sales Tax (8.75%): 170.80
Total: 2,122.77

Why do you want a UPS? Couldn't find it in the long trail of posts, so sorry if its a dumb question.