32-bit or 64-bit?

Honest Bill

what computer are you looking at? we can help you pick one or what parts to upgrade, but it is best to build your own, it is cheaper, more powerful, and a little fun too.

Think of me as someone who would be quick to leap and snatch the keys of a super-fast sports car and would quickly climb behind the wheel and push the car to the limits, but also someone who knows absolutely nothing about what's under the hood, and, quite frankly, really doesn't care to know.

I want a really great computer that will work optimally with the software we use (in my case, remotely), as well as surf fast with tons of windows open.

Operating it is fun ... building it is scary.

Last edited:

MyCattMaxx

Think of me as someone who would be quick to leap and snatch the keys of a super-fast sports car and would quickly climb behind the wheel and push the car to the limits, but also someone who knows absolutely nothing about what's under the hood, and, quite frankly, really doesn't really care to know.

I want a really great computer that will work optimally with the software we use (in my case, remotely), as well as surf fast with tons of windows open.

Operating it is fun ... building it is scary.
We can help you build a monster!
I am sorry that someone cause a 32 bit mmm riot, and messed your thread up.

Do you want to build new, buy store bought or mod what you have?

Honest Bill

"I assume you are using WinTOTAL. The requirements say nothing about 32 or 64 bit.
Your IT man is probably clueless about it."

Yep, we use WinTOTAL.

Actually, I don't think he is clueless, as he has been working on our office workstations and server for some time. That said, he's no expert when it comes to the using the software itself. He really threw me for a loop when he suggested I stick with 32-bit for my new home computer, which maxes out at 4GB of memory ... said I would get better performance ... that mystifies me, as well as frustrates me, as I need to replace my 8 year-old computer that feels like it is about to crash ... I was set on spending the bucks to buy a speed demon of a new computer.

Last edited:

Honest Bill

The question now is if the OP wants to build or buy store bought.

I would rather have someone I trust, who knows what the heck they are doing, build a computer for me, as opposed to buying from Dell or Lenovo. Also, I would rather have it serviced locally, as opposed to talking with someone who barely speaks my language and who doesn't share the same citizenship. Problem is, I live in a very small town and have no access to a reliable computer person, other than the IT guy in our office, who is making this harder than it should be for me.

Last edited:

MyCattMaxx

I assume you are using WinTOTAL.
The requirements say nothing about 32 or 64 bit.
Your IT man is probably clueless about it.

WinTotal.jpg

Yep, WinTOTAL.

Actually, I don't think he is clueless, as he has been working on our office workstations and server for some time. That said, he's no expert when it comes to the using the software. He really threw me for a loop when he suggested I stick with 32-bit for my new home computer, which maxes at 4GB of memory ... said I would get better performance ... that mystifies me, as well as frustrates me, as I need to replace my 8 year-old computer that feels like it is about to crash ... I was set on spending the bucks to buy a speed demon of a new computer.
I guess at this point will be your budget and if you plan on gaming with it as that will change the parts list.
We can help if we know you want store bought or build your own.

MyCattMaxx

We can help you build your own with your hands or you can have someone who is trusted do it for you.

I recommend doing it yourself, we will help you.

Honest Bill

Maybe you know this program. I don't. I did take a quick look at it and its several programs/app or a suite. It looks like it has maps, charts, forms,etc,,several apps. If so then many of these will be open and in use at one time.

You mentioned you need to upgrade your pc.
Did you mean upgrade your current one? With components? Windows 7? Is it worth the investment?
Or did you mean a new machine? As in the case and it's components?

If its the latter, and you don't want to be down because time is money, a business solution with same day service or loaner program might be for you.

Whether you want to buy or build, this forum can help with that.

Yes, there are several apps in WinTOTAL, as you described, with many open at one time. I need to replace my PC ... my current Dell PC is 8 years old and has slowed down far too much and I have not been able to revive it to its former glory. I can not afford down time, which makes it important to have a reliable computer guy in proximity. Would love to have a computer built for me, as I have been told here and elsewhere that I can get better specs for the same or less money than buyung directly from Dell or Lenovo.

Last edited:

Honest Bill

I guess at this point will be your budget and if you plan on gaming with it as that will change the parts list.
We can help if we know you want store bought or build your own.

NO gaming ... other than working remotely in WinTOTAL, I store and play with photos quite a bit, surf the net a lot with many windows open at once, play the market a bit with dual monitors, and listen to music while I'm doing it all.

Store bought or build your own? I guess it doesn't matter, as long as it does what I need it to, is built with quality components to ensure reliability, and can be easily fixed whenever I need it.

I'm prepared to spend whatever ... this computer is my livlihood.

Last edited:

MyCattMaxx

NO gaming ... other than working remotely in WinTOTAL, I store and play with photos quite a bit, surf the net a lot with many windows open at once, play the market a bit with dual monitors, and listen to music while I'm doing it all.

Store bought or build your own? I guess it doesn't matter, as long as it does what I need it to, is built with quality components to ensure reliability, and can be easily fixed whenever I need it.

I'm prepared to spend whatever ... this computer is my livlihood.
Easily done for what you need for less than $1K

Benny Boy

Also, I would rather have it serviced locally, as opposed to talking with someone who barely speaks my language and who doesn't share the same citizenship. Problem is, I live in a very small town and have no access to a reliable computer person, other than the IT guy in our office, who is making this harder than it should be for me.
Because of your location it's better to spend an afternoon assembling the parts that are delivered to your door into a case yourself? Then you would know more about your computer and be on your way to being self sufficient with your pc?

Instead of an industry standard 1yr warranty on a prebuilt, your custom will have 1-5 or even 7 yrs warranty on its components. Customizing to your specific needs also means being able to allocate the budget among the components to ensure high quality in every part, instead of choosing between the generically built prebuilt that everyone chooses from and that are made from parts using vendors with the lowest bid resulting in a unit that is built to last about the length of thier 1 yr warranty.

Honest Bill

"While there are some programs that do not work well with a 64 bit PC, Wintotal is not one of them. It makes no difference to Wintotal if its 32 or 64. I hope this helps you."

This is the response I got from a tech guy at alamode, who makes the WinTOTAL software I use. Curious that he said, "There are some programs that do not work well with a 64 bit PC."

Honest Bill

CCF07232012_00000.jpg

This is the quote I got from the company that our IT guy works for ... it includes two 24" monitors and follows his recommendation for 32-bit and is based on the way I use my computer ... remote connection using WinTOTAL, no gaming, some photo editing and lots of photo storage, surfing the net like a banshee on fire, listening to music.

There are many variations of the components he has recommended and the nuances among them is Greek to me ... though I'm a bang for the buck kind of guy and don't believe in paying for something that I really can't appreciate, I do want quality and reliability and long life and don't want to sacrifice just to save a few bucks.

Benny Boy

That build has no Solid State Drive, so add some more $ to the $1500.
It even has 1 stick of memory whicj means it will run in single channel You want dual channel memory for 2x the bandwidth.
And it still has 32 bit. You want 64 bit.
And there's more, but...

So you don't want to assemble it? Because for $900 I have a parts list that will blow that ones doors off. What 2 monitors can you get for $600? Here's 2 for $520. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009376

EDIT:
Curious that he said, "There are some programs that do not work well with a 64 bit PC."
This was a generic statement and does not apply to you.

Last edited:

G80FTW

That build has no Solid State Drive, so add some more $ to the $1500.
It even has 1 stick of memory whicj means it will run in single channel You want dual channel memory for 2x the bandwidth.
And it still has 32 bit. You want 64 bit.
And there's more, but...

So you don't want to assemble it? Because for $900 I have a parts list that will blow that ones doors off. What 2 monitors can you get for $600? Here's 2 for $520. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009376

EDIT:

This was a generic statement and does not apply to you.

That price isnt that bad..... He is also paying for all the warranties and crap that he would not have if he built it himself. And I have a feeling if he build one himself he might be on here quite a bit :)

His parts price without the warranty and Windows 7 would be about $550 or so, which is about what that would cost to build.

Benny Boy

Your ^ kidding, right?

Running a cheap motherboard, and cheap out as much as possible on the power supply which is the most important part, and run single channel memory,with a 32bit os, and put it all in a flimsy case, isn't my idea of good. With quality comes a longer life and the manufacturer's warranty. More warranty can be purchased for anything but it's a waste of $ imo.

Here's a good tutorial.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw

Buying the components and paying someone a few bucks to put it together is better than buying a prebuilt.

Here's a build list that I dont have time to explain differences between your list and this atm, but I'm sure other members will chime in with thier thoughts. I shopped quality and functionality for your uses + a little more for any future demands so you won't have to upgrade anything for a long time. After choosing the parts, I looked to see if any were combo'd together for savings. Cases are personal preference since the user is the one that has to look at it. It just needs to have good cooling, and some other features are nice to have. I included a case that was part of a deal with one of the top hard drives made becasue it has a lot of nice features for the price. If you pick a different case I suggest you keep this same hard drive. Just the tower/os so other peripherals will need to be addressed.
$842 shipped if you live where there's no tax, - 20 in mir's.(btw there are several i5 Quad Cores @ 3.1Ghz)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1003361

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=17581791

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1014148

Last edited:

Compequip

Iv never seen a 32-bit program that wont run in 64-bit. Although I remember having problems with 64-bit Vista back when it first came out..

Yeah it's a program that for some reason crashes everytime you try and run it in windows 7 64. We even tried guys that had a laptop with the win. 7 ultimate and it wouldn't run the program. It's a program that is a big pain in the A$$. The factory said you can't run it under 64 bit, I'm sure they will update this, but as of now it won't run. The program has been out for customer use for over 2 years now and still????

G80FTW

Your ^ kidding, right?

Running a cheap motherboard, and cheap out as much as possible on the power supply which is the most important part, and run single channel memory,with a 32bit os, and put it all in a flimsy case, isn't my idea of good. With quality comes a longer life and the manufacturer's warranty. More warranty can be purchased for anything but it's a waste of $ imo.

[

Im not kidding. $550 in parts for that build isnt bad. Im not saying its the best computer, Im saying its not wildly overpriced for what it is like most companies would do.

And he can always change it to a 64-bit OS Im sure at no extra charge since they cost the same.

And like I said, its worth it for the warranty as if something goes wrong with his "cheap" motherboard or PSU he can just call someone to fix it no charge without the hassle of dealing with it himself like he would have to if he built it himself.

Benny Boy

And like I said, its worth it for the warranty as if something goes wrong with his "cheap" motherboard or PSU he can just call someone to fix it no charge without the hassle of dealing with it himself like he would have to if he built it himself.

The promise of a possible free repair isn't always that easy.
And your assuming something will go wrong with a higher quality self built.

What's paid for the tower/keyboard/mouse/os = $832 + tax + shipping = about $950
Agreed that the parts for that tower/keyboard/mouse/os costs about $550.

Per the quote,
add about $29 for the cost diff + tax + shipping for this,,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101311
and add about $66 for the cost diff + tax + shipping here,,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009245
Add $95 for these 3 parts.

$1510 vs $1030 . Still worth it ?

Last edited:

G80FTW

The promise of a possible free repair isn't always that easy.
And your assuming something will go wrong with a higher quality self built.

What's paid for the tower/keyboard/mouse/os = $832 + tax + shipping = about $950
Agreed that the parts for that tower/keyboard/mouse/os costs about $550.

Per the quote,
add about $29 for the cost diff + tax + shipping for this,,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101311
and add about $66 for the cost diff + tax + shipping here,,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009245
Add $95 for these 3 parts.

$1510 vs $1030 . Still worth it ?

The cost difference there is only $30 before taxes..... So about the same. I dont know where your $500 is coming from.