$50 reward for help with picking components!

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
No need to offer cash for advice here. This forum is free to use and we generally frown upon cash incentive offers like this. :)

For gaming, I think the E8400 would be better. Games are not currently coded to take advantage of all four cores, and the E8400 is faster at stock. Although if you're looking to "future-proof," the quad isn't a bad choice.

Which Case/PSU combo are you looking at? To me, cases are a personal preference, although I can tell you that some of the power supplies bundled with these cases are of a low quality. You may be better off buying each component separately. Are you interested in a mid tower or full tower enclosure? If you go with a different tower, I can recommend a good power supply.

The motherboard looks good, IMO.

bullzi

Actually just about any game being released these days takes advantage of quad cores.. even older games do as well. The only game I play that won't is GRAW. I'd recommend Q6600 either way.

karder

mep916: Believe me, I really do not put any wight into looks, only performance. So how do you think the total setup I am considering would perform on games such as Crysis, Farcry2 and such? Btw I am really appreciating your help.

bullzi

Which games are you referring to? That's a bit of a blanket statement. Two cores? Yes. Four cores? Not yet.

I play the following:
BF2
BF2142
CSS
TF2
HL2
COD4
Crysis
Crysis Warhead
Farcry 2
Red Alert 3
World in Conflict
Fallout 3

All of those utilize all 4 of my cores to some extent. While I'll agree, they don't natively support Quad they do use all 4 cores.

mep916: Believe me, I really do not put any wight into looks, only performance. So how do you think the total setup I am considering would perform on games such as Crysis, Farcry2 and such? Btw I am really appreciating your help.

If you are playing those games, go quad no doubt, they are programmed for quad core processors. I also have a 4870 and I can play Crysis maxed, AA 2X and get between 20-40 FPS @ 1440x900. If you drop shadows one level the fps jumps to 30-50 (with a 1GB card, you would probably receive a decent performance increase over my setup).

For Farcry2, I can max it out 100% w/ AA 2X @ 1440x900 and receive 30+ FPS.

Last edited:

mep916

Administrator
Staff member

They would perform better with the E8400, due to the faster clock speed. You could always overclock the Q6600, but you would need to get an aftermarket CPU cooler and I'm not sure if that's something (overclocking) that would interest you. Which P5K motherboard are you looking at and are you buying from newegg?

All of those utilize all 4 of my cores to some extent.

Yes, but the games aren't truly multithreaded, as far as I know. In other words, a dual core will perform just as well as a quad, clock for clock. In this case, the E8400 would be better because it's clocked faster at stock. If I'm wrong, provide some evidence that supports a quad performing better than a dual at equal clock speeds.

bullzi

They would perform better with the E8400, due to the faster clock speed. You could always overclock the Q6600, but you would need to get an aftermarket CPU cooler and I'm not sure if that's something (overclocking) that would interest you. Which P5K motherboard are you looking at and are you buying from newegg?

Yes, but the games aren't truly multithreaded, as far as I know. In other words, a dual core will perform just as well as a quad, clock for clock. In this case, the E8400 would be better because it's clocked faster at stock. If I'm wrong, provide some evidence that supports a quad performing better than a dual at equal clock speeds.

Right, they aren't truely multi-threaded but they will utilize 4 cores. So, in older games performance between the two is essentially the same, no older game will completely use both E8400 cores or all of 2 Q6600 cores. For newer games that are truely quad core capable such as Farcry 2, Q6600 is the way to go.

Anyway, I've got to go to lunch :p

bullzi

mep916: This is the motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131182

I have actually glanced at E8500 (same price as q6600) but I wish to get a system that will last for a while atleast. would E8400 or E8500 last any long?

bullzi: U have little better frequency on ur RAM but maybe that doesn't effect gaming too much?

Ya, 800 vs. 1066 isn't a huge difference, you might get a couple FPS, if that out of it.

If you want the system for a while, go quad.

karder

Tlarki; one night out? Man ur lucky. my nights out usually go for $150-$200 at least. Thats why keep them to a minimum.

Bullzi: Prolly will go with q6600 but will wait and see what others say...

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Anyway, I've got to go to lunch :p

haha. Far Cry 2 is multithreaded...

All future mainstream games will likely take full advantage of four or more cores, so if you're interested in that - in future-proofing - then you could argue that the Q6600 would be the better choice. With the E8400 being the faster chip, I still think it's the better choice.

The motherboard is a bit pricey for a P35 chipset. In the future, would you like the ability to add a second 4870 for a Crossfire config? If so, I'd go with this. If not, get this. The only advantage to the Asus board you've selected is the onboard eSATA and Wi-fi. You can get a Wi-fi adapter for $20, if you need one.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Tlarki; one night out? Man ur lucky. my nights out usually go for $150-$200 at least. Thats why keep them to a minimum.

Bullzi: Prolly will go with q6600 but will wait and see what others say...

I go to dive bars where beer is under 2.00 a glass, and I go to places where I am known, so my tab is never full price.

50 is a cheap night, and i typically eat at home

karder

mep916: The crossfire one you recommended is interesting, but maybe a tad too pricy. The Gigabyte one is open box, doesn't that mean u dont get any wires and stuff?

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
mep916: The crossfire one you recommended is interesting, but maybe a tad too pricy. The Gigabyte one is open box, doesn't that mean u dont get any wires and stuff?

Yes, sorry about that. Well, the retail Gigabyte EP35 is out of stock at newegg, you don't want an open box item, so you could go with the Gigabyte P45. It's $104 after MIR and has an updated Intel southbridge. It's actually a really good deal.

karder

map916: Whoa! that gigabayte p45 brought down my total to $684.00. Now maybe I can get better case and PSU. Any suggestions?