$50 reward for help with picking components!

karder

WhiteFire: hehe I "only" have 22" inches right now, but might consider bigger in a while.

As for GPU, if I am to consider crossfire in the future, then we're back to square one since I have to switch mobo, maybe better PSU... and so on and so forth.

This is the absolute final setup:

600W OCZ StealthXStream
E8500 3.16GHz
Sapphire Radeon 4870 1gb
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
Antec 300 case

Please tell me I can play newer games on fairly high average FPS's...

WhiteFireDragon

As for GPU, if I am to consider crossfire in the future, then we're back to square one since I have to switch mobo, maybe better PSU... and so on and so forth.

you can still do crossfire with p45. there is only negligible difference when comparing crossfire between x48 and p45. so your current option with GPU/PSU combo for future proofing is to either get 4870 1gb + OCZ 600W, or 4870 512mb + corsairs 750W. i personally would do the 512mb with 750TX because the value of a PSU does not decrease nearly as fast as a video card, so an intial investment in a good PSU is a good choice i would think. and besides, getting a monitor with resolutions over 1920x1080 would cost over $600. a 24" dell monitor can only max out at 1920x1080, so i would think it'll take a while to save up that much money just to fully utilize that 1gb video card. i can only recommend parts, but in the end, the choice and money is still yours. here's a few setups i had in mind for you all within the price range, but depends how much you want to spend:

absolute cheapest:
intel e8400
gigabyte EP45-UD3R
Hightech HD 4870 512MB
OCZ 600SXS
antec 300
$664.30 shipped, $594.30 after rebate

medium:
intel e8400
gigabyte EP45-UD3P
Hightech HD 4870 512MB
OCZ 600SXS
antec 300
$726.30 shipped, $666.30 after rebate

best, most expensive:
intel e8500
gigabyte EP45-UD3P
Sapphire HD 4870 1gb
corsair 750TX
antec 300
$805.95 shipped, $750.95 after rebate

Kornowski

VIP Member
I wouldn't go with the Dual Core. I'm not being biased since I own a Quad, but I just personally see the point. I mean I feel like Duals are getting a little "old" (Go on, jump on me for that one fan boys, you'll never catch me! :p).

The E8*** series are excellent OC'ers, people reaching speeds of 4Ghz + on 'em. To be honest though, who needs it? I have my Quad at 3.4Ghz (Easy to do!) and it's well more than enough for any game out at the moment. Even at it's stock speed of 2.4Ghz, it was still fast!

The 4870 is an excellent card, good choice there, and like you said, the 1Gb of memory will help you with the higher resolutions and will allow you to force some more AA on games!

The Antec 300, what can I say, it's an Antec, it's a really nice case. Good price and good performance.

karder

WhiteFire: As for the display, they will be upgrading monitors at work next month(currently using Dell 27") and will probably give the 27"s away for free. Especially if you are friends with a privately owned compan's CEO. So I'll prolly just take on of those... hihi

WhiteFireDragon

sooo... karder, how about that $50 reward to someone? :D

btw, did you order your parts yet? i remember the $15 promotion for that PSU expired yesterday or will expire by the end of today.

karder

tlarkin: I wish I could man... I wish I could...

WhiteFire: Since I picked some of the stuff you recommended, I will gladly send you $25. Just post your email address and I will send you an email. Then you can reply with your address and stuff and I will send the $$$. And no, i didn't order the stuff on that day. I actually just finished ordering the stuff right now.

Antec 300

PowerColor ATI 4870 1GB

Antec EA650 650W ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Kornowski: Went with the dual. Figured that since I am going to use it more for gaming, Quad Core really is not necessary yet. Plus, if I decide to overclock in the future, I will have more options...

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Let me be clear: Offering or accepting cash in exchange for advice is disallowed at Computer Forum.

karder - Good luck. What you've selected should work out well. :)

tlarkin

VIP Member
Let me be clear: Offering or accepting cash in exchange for advice is disallowed at Computer Forum.

karder - Good luck. What you've selected should work out well. :)

However, if you want to visit my website and click on the buy me a beer link and paypal me a few bucks for a beer, by all means do not let the computer forum stop you.