$50 reward for help with picking components!

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Like I said, a case is more about personal preference, although I've had good experience with this one...

CM Elite 330 <--I've built a rig for my sister and father with that same case. It's cheap but shipping is super expensive. If you can find it locally (at Fry's Electronics or Microcenter), you can avoid the cost of shipping.

Here's a good power supply...

OCZ 500W

$29.99 after MIR, although the immediate cost puts you over budget.

I think the case/ PSU combo you've selected will workout alright. Just remember, you get what you pay for. The case itself looks to be flimsy, but the power supply seems to have good ratings at newegg (can't always trust that, though) and I think another member here, oscaryu1, has that same PSU and he seems to be happy with it.

karder

map916; So now my total went down by 1 cent!!! hehe. I now have $70 for a good PSU. That will be my last pick hopefully, unless I need some fans and stuff...

Droogie

Geez mep you're pwning this thead up :p

I've heard good things about the CM Elite, and OCZ has a good reputation for PSU's.

karder

tknick: hehe i know OCZ have good reputation but I'm a tad worried that the 500W might be a little too low...

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
tknick: hehe i know OCZ have good reputation but I'm a tad worried that the 500W might be a little too low...

So, you want the original case you selected and a new PSU?

OCZ 600W

Use this promo code at checkout: EMCBBAGAH

An immediate cost of $64.99 and $29.99 after MIR.

Gotta buy it today if you wanna use the promo code

karder

mep916: I actually took the Elite 330 case u recommended because of two things. Good reviews and not to many blue lights and stuff.

Sweet total will be $745.

Last edited:

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
No, I don't want your money although I appreciate the offer. Are you going with the dual or quad core?

Last edited:

Droogie

Probably not the best idea to post this up lol, now anybody can send you an email with their adress.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
just added his email to my spamming script <evil grin>

#side note - there is no evil grin emoticon? How will people know how I really feel with out the proper emoticon?

On topic:

That build looks fine, but you may want to hold off a bit. I think Intel is suppose to announce a new product line soon, which means that the current product line will drop in price. You wait a month you may be able to bump up to the next level processor with no additional cost.

Plus Newegg will start doing its crazy xmas sales, and there is always black friday as well.

I just built a new system and I can max out fallout 3 and get steadily 60fps with 8x AA running at 1680 x 1020 resolution.

The left 4 dead demo I can push near 200fps with settings maxed and I have a quad core.

I am not 100% sure how effectively both Windows and the Games actually utilize the multiple cores. If it is anything like the PS 3, then I would say it is barely taking advantage of them.

WhiteFireDragon

Karder, this would help you out a bit, but first, a few questions for you first. Do you plan to OC either the CPU, video card, or memory at all? This would actually greatly affect your parts. And would you consider the $750 limit to include rebates?

intel e8500
gigabyte EP45-UD3P
Hightech HD 4870 512MB
corsair 750TX
antec 300

here's why i would choose these parts:

In choosing between a dual core and quad, the most important thing to consider is the application. Quads are good to render images, edit videos, or crunch/fold. Since you said the main purpose of this rig is for gaming, a dual core will suit you best. You won’t see much of an increase in fps from 2 to 4 cores, but you will get a few fps with the higher clocks that a dual core offers with also a lower electricity bill. With that said, I would get an e8500. Wolfdales run cooler, require less voltages, and clock higher than its 65nm counterpart. This CPU can clock in the 4.5ghz range, but make sure you get the newer E0 stepping, as they don’t require as much vcore and will clock higher than the older stepping.

While p35 is still a good chipset, it’s older technology. Pick a p45 mobo since they can OC a little higher based on fsb. P45 is also the only current mobo that has ICH10R for the south bridge. Even the great x48 only has an ICH9R. p45 also offers dual x8 bandwidth in crossfire as opposed to 16x and 4x in a p35. The newest p45 chipset released is the gigabyte p45 UD3 series. If you don’t already know, these mobos are infamous for their ability to clock quads over 500 fsb at the very low cost. Most other p45 and even x48 mobos either struggle to get 500+ fsb or can’t do it at all. There’s a few thread on this mobo on other forums if you want specific settings on them.

The video card you picked is a good choice. In this price range, a HD4870 will outperform a GTX260. Most of these 4870 are based on reference design so just choose the cheapest one and the brand that you think provides the best support.

Most people skimp on the PSU and spend on hardware that only affect performance. Though you won’t directly see a boost in FPS no matter how great the PSU is, it actually indirectly affects how high of clocks you can achieve. With poor PSUs, it’s risky to OC since they can’t provide stable power and could burn out. No matter how great all your hardware is, if it can’t get stable power from the PSU, then it’s pretty much paperweight. A PSU dying out can take down a lot of other hardware with it, and many manufacturers of video cards and mobos do no cover this under their warranty. Most people just look for high wattage output. This is only one of the factors in choosing. The more important thing to look for is amperage on each rail and quality. With that said, I would choose a PSU from corsair, PC P&C, seasonic, and some selected models from OCZ and antec. I wouldn’t even consider anything else, with a few exceptions. The 12v rail should have a minimum of 35a to be considered decent. One other thing is to look for efficiency, as this can really affect your electricity bill in the long run or how much your room gets heated up. Always look for the “80 plus” certified, as this means that they don’t dump as much heat, lower your power draw from the wall, and imply they are made of good quality. All the brands I mentioned fall under this category. Corsair’s 750TX is more than enough power, 80 plus certified, and has a very low fan noise. With all these factors, the price range makes it a winner.

The case is totally based on preference, although you should consider if it cools well, the form factor, and configuration/layout of the internals. The antec 300 cools well like its big brother antec900, but keeps a smaller form factor for convenience of moving it around or placement. I just thought it’s a good case with a great price for you.

that's a total of $755.21 shipped before rebate, and $695.21 after rebates, with a free 2gb flash drive!

Last edited:

karder

btw mep916. Thank you very much for your help. very appreciated. good to know that there still are some kind people in this environmentally threatened world of ours.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
btw mep916. Thank you very much for your help. very appreciated. good to know that there still are some kind people in this environmentally threatened world of ours.

No problem. I think the build will workout well for you. :)

WhiteFire, I don't think he'll be overclocking, but what you've described elaborates on all my recommendations.

Last edited:

karder

WhiteFireDragon:

Thank you very much for the elaborate post.

Since I was planning on OC'ing my cpu a little, i believe that the quad core will benefit me since it is Quad. The dual feels like it will just last me so long, if you know what I mean.

Since I don not know anthing on mobo's I wont comment on that hehe. But the one mep916 recommended feels solid.

The PSU u recommend is very nice indeed, but also still very pricey, as of right now, I only intend to OC the CPU only. Maybe in the future the GPU and RAM. Therefore, the OCZ seems adequate.

The case was very nice so I am actually considering it right now...

Plus, the total of $744.98 has $75 in Mail in rebates. So the actual total will be $675. But I was looking at total before rebates, since that is all I can afford to put on it.

Once again, thank you very much for the post, very helpful.

Last edited:

karder

WhiteFire: looks great but I want the 4870 1gb version, since I will be playing on 22" monitor with a little higher resolutions. That will bring up the cost by appr $55 unfortunately.

Last edited:

WhiteFireDragon

the build you have so far looks good, but i'll throw in a few comments about it.

first of all, i didn't know if you wanted to consider anything else while choosing the parts. for example, noise and energy efficiency. i honestly don't think a quad will be of much use in gaming and surfing the internet. was there a reason you wanted to go for a quad? in my case, the only reason i have a quad is because i crunch using BOINC, so my computer is loaded 100% 24/7. it's much more efficient for a quad than 2 separate dual cores. for your case, you'll lose a few fps with the lower stock clocks, have a little more heat dump to your room, pay slightly more or electricity, and a little more stressful for your motherboard of you're going to OC it. for higher fsb, it'll take some fine tuning with the VTT, PLL, fsb strap, vNB, and GTL. but if you're still dead set on getting a quad, the i would go with a 45nm quad as they can still clock higher and stay cooler with lower vcore.

i'm just getting the feeling you still want to shave off a few dollars since you said the the PSU was still too expensive. you won't need a 1gb 4870. 22" monitor is not really considered too high of resolutions when gaming. you'll only see real gains when you play with something greater than 1920x1080, which is like a 27" monitor. the price difference of $55 just doesn't look like it's worth it since you're tight on money. an e8400 also is not behind the e8500 since it's only different by half a multiplier for a $25 difference.

karder

WhiteFire: Ok, but if I pick the E8500 or E8400, would I still need the Corsair 750TX? Wouldn't the OCZ 600W be more than enough then?

The reason for why I want to stick with 4870 1GB is because I want to have the option to upgrade to a bigger monitor in the future without upgrading the GPU.

WhiteFireDragon

well initially, you said a $750 budget so that's what i built. i didn't know you still prefer to save a little bit if possible, so yeah an e8400 paired with the OCZ 600W would still be fine. if you don't mind a little more noise from the psu fan or a little less efficiency, then the OCZ psu is cheap and fine. the UD3R would also be fine, as it's not that much different than the UD3P that i recommended.

as for the video card, the prices decrease pretty much on a monthly bases since new video card technology are renewed a lot faster than other hardware (sound cards for example). in only one year, the price will be half of what you bought it bran new, so if you need additional GPU power, you can get another one in crossfire, or just buy another better at the time you need it. i would just save that $55 for now. are you really considering to get a monitor bigger than 24" in a few months?

Dystopia

mep916: Believe me, I really do not put any wight into looks, only performance. So how do you think the total setup I am considering would perform on games such as Crysis, Farcry2 and such? Btw I am really appreciating your help.

that set up will pwn crysis. my rig has 4GB ddr2 800MHz athlon 64x2 4000+(2.1gHz), 256mB 8600GTS. My setting in crysis are no AA, everything on high, cept shaders, on medium. Res is 1024x768, and that is already freakin awesome lookin! i will take the $50 off of your hands, no problem.