Adonis Linux *Beta Testers Needed*

Troncoso

VIP Member
I'd rather people who don't have linux experience try the new distro I'm working on.
Just finished themeing for the most part. A bit more work to do.
Then some more package management.

aurora2.jpg

Getting somewhere. :) Can't decide whether I want to install conky or not.

Add conky, for sure. I also agree with Mihir on Thunar. It always ends up being my preferred file manager. Because, of course you are creating this distro to tailor to my needs. Might as well make sure you get it right. Haha

NyxCharon

okay, thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll work around with some conky stuff soon. As far as file manager,I'm using nautillis since it's the default gnome one and it's pre installed as a dependency. I normally use thunar too though. Kernel is 3.2.0-0.bpo.1-686-pae

At the moment the real challenge is stripping it down from 4ish gb's to 3. At 3.7 right now,so we'll see how it goes. This is why I don't like Ubuntu, too many uneeded depencdencies for everything. Still, It's moving forward.

mihir

VIP Member
Do the auto mount thing like it is on Ubuntu. Is it a Nautilus thing or the FSTAB thing?

NyxCharon

Aurora is looking great! How is the installer though?

Also there seems to already be an Aurora linux distro at http://auroralinux.org/ and auroralinux.com and .net are taken so is this the best name?

Aurora is fine, I've seen those before. It's still Adonis, just a different spinoff. Aurora is the codename, so it'll still get the Adonis branding. It's ubuntu based at the moment, so you're in luck, I can use the standard ubuntu installer if everything works out fine.

Mihir, can you post a linky to that CrinosConky you speak off? Everything i have found sends me to some spanish site to a download link that no longer works. Would be apprecaited :good:

As far as this build, going to do a good bit more work tonight, and I'll upload a intial image probably sunday.

Sadly, unity is still installed, but because of the poor way ubuntu treats package dependencies, I can't remove it.Cinnamon is the default though. :)

NyxCharon

Current theme:
Aurora3Clean.jpg

And here's a busy one part way though theming it.
aurora3Busy.jpg

Going to clean it up a bit more, and work on repackaging it with a installer.

NyxCharon

More progress:
Unity and Gnome are gone. Cinnamon only now.
Got it down to 2.48 GB's in size, started with ~4.5
Removed Natuilis and installed thunar as per request.
going to install a couple more key things and it'll be ready for a release tomorrow I think.

Edit: Suggestion for music player?

mihir

VIP Member
VLC and Rhthymbox should do it.

Crinos Conky Screenshot
3509810201_a81e4a3f86.jpg

Here is another one I liked but I do not like the laptop as my wallpaper, but I like the idea
3510694838_f0640a0fce.jpg

Last edited:

NyxCharon

I'll give it some thought. I really want Aurora to be very clean though. If you missed my edit, it's up for download now. Feel free to test and tell me how awful it is :p

mihir

VIP Member
Good it is only 1Gb, will take about 3-4 hours to download :D. Will test it out and and write back.

EDIT
Might take a bit longer getting poor download speeds.

mihir

VIP Member
All downloads have been pulled, and new releases will be put up on the first.

Yeah I tried wget -c to resume my download from 74% but it gave an error 404.
Then I checked and all the downloads had been pulled out :(, now I will have to start from 0%.

NyxCharon

Yeah I tried wget -c to resume my download from 74% but it gave an error 404.
Then I checked and all the downloads had been pulled out :(, now I will have to start from 0%.

Sorry about that. There were some serious problems that got overlooked when it was first released. I'm just going to thoroughly test everything and put up some new stuff on the first, as well as put up the new design of the website.

salvage-this

I really like the new look to the site NyxCharon. I will have to try out Adonis soon. I really meant to earlier.

Is the Aurora version built any different than the XFCE version?

Edit: just read Cinamon. Feel like an idiot. :p