AMD Polaris GPU - Discussion Thread

Origin Saint

When it's released and all the benchmark tests are done, it'll be interesting to see what it's strengths and weaknesses are.
The jealous, overly-sensitive part of me wants it to flop and perform terribly and hot and loud and eat up 13 Jiga-Watts of power every 10 seconds. :D

But the more rational side of my brain that is capable of forgiving myself for purchasing a 980Ti in January, hopes this thing gets a home run in the performance category and really fills out the entry-level cards nicely. :p

Laquer Head

The jealous, overly-sensitive part of me wants it to flop and perform terribly and hot and loud and eat up 13 Jiga-Watts of power every 10 seconds. :D

But the more rational side of my brain that is capable of forgiving myself for purchasing a 980Ti in January, hopes this thing gets a home run in the performance category and really fills out the entry-level cards nicely. :p

bwahahahahahahahaha

Darren

Staff member
bwahahahahahahahaha
Ya know. The market that's got the largest amount of consumer and thus profit BY FAR. How dare AMD want to make money as a business. IMO Nvidia is shooting themselves in the foot by not launching a competing mid range card (although the 1060 is coming I know). People left right and center are going to be going for the RX 480 and below because that's the kind of money people actually have.

Pretty much everyone on this forum is pushing hardware that's in the top tier of what the vast majority of people game with.

Laquer Head

Ya know. The market that's got the largest amount of consumer and thus profit BY FAR. How dare AMD want to make money as a business. IMO Nvidia is shooting themselves in the foot by not launching a competing mid range card (although the 1060 is coming I know). People left right and center are going to be going for the RX 480 and below because that's the kind of money people actually have.

Pretty much everyone on this forum is pushing hardware that's in the top tier of what the vast majority of people game with.

Y U M@d Bro!?

:)

Intel_man

VIP Member
I think he was laughing at the fact that it is called "entry-level". Those are more lower-mid level than entry level. At least that's what I saw.

spirit

Staff member
I'm kind of lost in the AMD range now. Will the RX 480 be a competitor with the 'GTX 1060' or is it more of a GTX 1070 competitor?

Intel_man

VIP Member
If the 1060 is super affordable and performance is on par with the numbers on the RX 480... I might get 2 of those over a 1070.

But I don't expect anything NVidia to be affordable.

Darren

Staff member
If the 1060 is super affordable and performance is on par with the numbers on the RX 480... I might get 2 of those over a 1070.

But I don't expect anything NVidia to be affordable.

Got benches? I haven't heard much about them.

Weren't you complaining a few posts back about how hot Crossfire/SLI is? :p

Intel_man

VIP Member
They do get hot. It's absurdly hot, but hopefully a lower die size will produce less heat. :oops:

We'll see... PCI-e lanes for me are very expensive real estate as I have other plans that require the use of them.

spirit

Staff member
http://imgur.com/gallery/N0sx7

Leaked images + benchmark and temp gun reading.
Am I the only one who loves the 'boxy' stock cooler looks? That's how all Radeons should look! Reminds me of my good old HD 5870!

Too bad it's hard to get reference cards these days but I guess it's for the best since the aftermarket coolers provide better cooling, thus better overclocking potential etc.

Last edited:

Origin Saint

Did @Darren hijack your account???:eek:
Simmah dahn nah (Kim == Laquer in this instance)
BHMPx0GCEAAgOes.jpg

StrangleHold

Staff member
Don't know what's its worth. But a few people told me that right now AMD is all about getting market share back with the new GPUs and they will work on building profit back after when sales increase. Even the newer high end card coming out later will sell cheaper. Plus from what they told me, AMD has C/F nailed this time. Like even now with the 480, look what performance your getting with 2 200 buck cards.

Darren

Staff member
Don't know what's its worth. But a few people told me that right now AMD is all about getting market share back with the new GPUs and they will work on building profit back after when sales increase. Even the newer high end card coming out later will sell cheaper. Plus from what they told me, AMD has C/F nailed this time. Like even now with the 480, look what performance your getting with 2 200 buck cards.

Hoorah somebody else speaks my language. :D This is pretty much the conclusion I've reached on my own just from how they've been acting with their products this year. They've made some progress already both market share percentages and stock prices are going up for AMD in 2016.