AMD Polaris GPU - Discussion Thread

C4C

When I looked on Newegg yesterday they were all sold out and in the UK there were only a handful of brands that stock left. It was really limited stock though, like 1 or 2 left and usually on the more expensive models. Some on Amazon don't even dispatch for 1-3 weeks, presumably to get more stock.

Here goes the 6600K's iGPU until I can buy an RX480 that's in stock ;-;

There are games that favour Nvidia cards, and games that favour AMD cards. You balance out the differences across the board, and what you'll see is the RX480 will punch right inbetween the 970 and 980.

^^ THIS

Intel_man

VIP Member
Uh oh. Looks like it's got some pretty interesting issues. They apparently draw more power from the PCI-E slot than from the 6-pin power in certain situations causing system instabilities on older/cheaper mobos.

C4C

Uh oh. Looks like it's got some pretty interesting issues. They apparently draw more power from the PCI-E slot than from the 6-pin power in certain situations causing system instabilities on older/cheaper mobos.

Got me quite worried even though I have a newer Z170A board... Card is on back order and most likely won't get to me for at least another week.

Still so, I've seen some "leaks" about the GTX 1060 and it's looking more convincing than the RX 480. Might have to make the switch :p

Darren

Staff member
Good guy AMD giving out card with too much VRAM.

Scumbag Nvidia giving out cards with 4GB of VRAM but 3.5GB of actually functional VRAM.

gg

/s

Darren

Staff member
Not really... I already bought a Pascal. :oops:
Yeah I'm really interested to see how this all plays out since the 1070/1080 competitors from AMD are going to come out several months yet. Should be interesting if they'll go for maximum performance or something that more competes with the 1070/1080 at a lower price. I'd expect the latter but who knows.

Reactions: C4C

C4C

Soo... who's excited for Vega? :p
asdfghjkl gonna be unlocking my 4GB card bios, and I guess I won't get a second RX 480 this fall lol

Still waiting for Newegg to notify me that the RX 480 is being shipped, because I'm sure there's hundreds of orders ahead of mine.
AMD claimed to have many more cards than Nvidia, but it's easier for me to get a GTX 10XX card right now if I had the money :p

at least I can play CS:GO on the iGPU :(

Darren

Staff member
asdfghjkl gonna be unlocking my 4GB card bios, and I guess I won't get a second RX 480 this fall lol

Still waiting for Newegg to notify me that the RX 480 is being shipped, because I'm sure there's hundreds of orders ahead of mine.
AMD claimed to have many more cards than Nvidia, but it's easier for me to get a GTX 10XX card right now if I had the money :p

at least I can play CS:GO on the iGPU :(

I'm sure there's a whole lot more 480's than the 10XX's. An exponentially larger amount of people can afford a $200-250 card versus a $400-900 card (or whatever they run these days). Actually just checked prices and hory sheit the 1070/1080 are even more than I thought. You could CFX 480's nearly for the price of a 1070.

I wonder if the vBIOS trick will work on all cards that have 8GB or if they'll stop it somehow.

Reactions: C4C

C4C

You could CFX 480's nearly for the price of a 1070.
I wonder if the vBIOS trick will work on all cards that have 8GB or if they'll stop it somehow.

Exactly what stopped me from buying the GTX 1070 or stalling for a GTX 1060 (it's going to be waaay overpriced).

I'm not sure. I doubt there's a way of stopping it from drivers, but aftermarket cooler brands may or may not allow it depending on what their chips look like.
Hoping my reference card has 8GB of RAM in it as I'll probably wing it.

I feel like for $40 in profits, it's not worth it for AMD to create a new production line.. If it's just the vBIOS then the 4GB card itself should be listed UNDER $200, which means they're already earning a sh!t ton off of the people who bought the 8GB model.

Last edited:

Intel_man

VIP Member
Yeah I'm really interested to see how this all plays out since the 1070/1080 competitors from AMD are going to come out several months yet. Should be interesting if they'll go for maximum performance or something that more competes with the 1070/1080 at a lower price. I'd expect the latter but who knows.
With the Titan P being around the corner from announcement, who knows what AMD will bring to the table.

C4C

So it's been over 2 weeks since I ordered my RX 480 and it's still on back-order. I called Newegg and they say they have no idea when the next shipment should be coming...

Could AMD be splitting production lines and creating both 4GB and 8GB cards to prevent people from unlocking with the BIOS?

Is that even a realistic guess? .... or am I just overwhelmed that I've gone a month with no dedicated graphics...

Intel_man

VIP Member
I'm surprised you got your order through Newegg as a "backordered" product. They normally dont' allow pre-ordering and just void your order until they have stock.

Darren

Staff member
So it's been over 2 weeks since I ordered my RX 480 and it's still on back-order. I called Newegg and they say they have no idea when the next shipment should be coming...

Could AMD be splitting production lines and creating both 4GB and 8GB cards to prevent people from unlocking with the BIOS?

Is that even a realistic guess? .... or am I just overwhelmed that I've gone a month with no dedicated graphics...

Hell at this point I'd just cancel your order and get a Sapphire version with aftermarket cooling rather than the reference vacuum cleaner.

C4C

I'm surprised you got your order through Newegg as a "backordered" product. They normally dont' allow pre-ordering and just void your order until they have stock.

no kidding.. it's quite frustrating..

Hell at this point I'd just cancel your order and get a Sapphire version with aftermarket cooling rather than the reference vacuum cleaner.
did it lol.. I don't know what day they go on sale but I'll have to be on it.

This is what it's looked like since June 30th...
c5497b1ba9ecdf8dec41640ba9459e73.png