AMD Polaris GPU - Discussion Thread

Origin Saint

Hoorah, some actual substance here folks. :p

JK. Just a dude putting it in a tiny case, and then some overwatching of a dude playing Overwatch with some typical musak.

Ugh.

Darren

Staff member
I wonder what these NDAs are for.... building up hype?
That's how product releases work. If you're a company that's launching a new and potentially big product you want to be able to control the flow of information about it for a variety of reasons.

Calin

That's how product releases work. If you're a company that's launching a new and potentially big product you want to be able to control the flow of information about it for a variety of reasons.
I'm pretty sure the main reason is to build up hype

Laquer Head

So tomorrow we will have a new $200ish card that has similar performance to the $500 and $600 cards of today.

I love how technology progresses! :D

If they actually have stock for launch or shortly after, they will be head and shoulders above Nvidias sorry excuse for a new product roll out.

spirit

Staff member
If they actually have stock for launch or shortly after, they will be head and shoulders above Nvidias sorry excuse for a new product roll out.
I see that all of the 1080s and practically all of the 1070s are out of stock!

spirit

Staff member
Yeah, I must have got lucky with my 1080
Indeed! I think NVIDIA must have underestimated the demand for these new cards. Let's hope that AMD doesn't! Maybe seeing this problem they will have acted wiser.

Stock is either out or very limited in the UK too with only a few models or even only a few examples from people like PNY being in stock with the major brands out of stock.

DonkeyPuncher

Indeed! I think NVIDIA must have underestimated the demand for these new cards. Let's hope that AMD doesn't! Maybe seeing this problem they will have acted wiser.

Stock is either out or very limited in the UK too with only a few models or even only a few examples from people like PNY being in stock with the major brands out of stock.
I just checked ocuk and they have quite a number of different brands of 1080, each showing 10+ in stock. So as an estimate I would say they have at least 150+ 1080 gpu's in stock at this moment in time.

spirit

Staff member
I just checked ocuk and they have quite a number of different brands of 1080, each showing 10+ in stock. So as an estimate I would say they have at least 150+ 1080 gpu's in stock at this moment in time.
When I looked on Newegg yesterday they were all sold out and in the UK there were only a handful of brands that stock left. It was really limited stock though, like 1 or 2 left and usually on the more expensive models. Some on Amazon don't even dispatch for 1-3 weeks, presumably to get more stock.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

Calin

I've seen quite a bit of hate for the RX 480 on the internet today. No, it can't beat a 980 but the fact that it's on par with a 970 while costing 200$ is amazing.

Calin

Well I've watched the Jayztwocents vid where the 970 barely wins. But he mentioned it was a factory overclocked one.

Intel_man

VIP Member
There are games that favour Nvidia cards, and games that favour AMD cards. You balance out the differences across the board, and what you'll see is the RX480 will punch right inbetween the 970 and 980.

Origin Saint

There are games that favour Nvidia cards, and games that favour AMD cards. You balance out the differences across the board, and what you'll see is the RX480 will punch right inbetween the 970 and 980.
At a price point significantly lower than both out of the gate, I might add. Impressive.