Anti static wrist, quick reply pls

DarkTears

banned
I am about to put my computer together, but where do i put the end of this strap at? i dont want to "fry" anything.

Thank you

phantomofrussia

well it depends....

if you only have a wrist strap then it is best to connect it to the case.

if you have a mat and all of the other works then you connect each one into the ground socket in your outlet.(the circle one. not the rectangle one!!!!)

if i am wrong someone plz correct me!! i am going to be putting my computer together tomorrow and would love too know if i am going to be doing this wrong.

phantomofrussia

lol. dont worry if you put it in the circle socket then you will be fine but since your grounded any electricity will go through you to get to the ground.

so yeah i would go with connecting it to the case if you only have the wrist strap

DarkTears

banned
lol. dont worry if you put it in the circle socket then you will be fine but since your grounded any electricity will go through you to get to the ground.

so yeah i would go with connecting it to the case if you only have the wrist strap

im doing this on my bed, is this a bad idea?

Irishwhistle

bad idea. you should do this on a hardwood floor if you have it. or any other flat surface that does not have carpet.

Hardwood floors or linoleum floors are best... I've built rigs on carpeting and never had a problem though.

The bed is probably safe though... as long as it's not a BUNK bed. :p

phantomofrussia

it really depends on the time of year you do it. during the winter when static can be a problem i wouldnt do it on carpet. during the summer sure why not

phantomofrussia

yeah you should. just go back carefully and take your time doing this.

with this the saying "Slow and Steady Wins the Race" applies very well. you hurry and your computer might not work in the end :)

phantomofrussia

i would guess it varies by motherboard.
so check with your motherboard manufacturer. if not call them or where ever you bought your motherboard from and say that you are missing some screws

edit: read your motherboard installation guide. it should tell you everything also. hopefully

Last edited: