• Panda

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F-Secure

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Codename "AVG 98"
I think it's a reference to Win98's habit of asking you to reboot if you so much as looked at the Control Panel icon.

Anyway, I have the new AVG and it doesn't ask to reboot after every update. I get those reboot notifications every couple of weeks or so, and I have set it to update daily.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's a reference to Win98's habit of asking you to reboot if you so much as looked at the Control Panel icon.

Anyway, I have the new AVG and it doesn't ask to reboot after every update. I get those reboot notifications every couple of weeks or so, and I have set it to update daily.

Mine was updating daily but wanted to reboot the system after the update and I hated getting the notifications every hour to reboot. Besides, combofix won't scan your system with avg installed. So I have been putting avast on all my clients machines when I do work for them.

vnsmith

banned
I am using a Nod32 version 4if I am not mistaken. :) Got it for free and it updates instantly without making my machine run slow.

gamblingman

VIP Member
My av is trend micro and I love it. It does a great job, easy to turn off, and has a LOT of features for total safety. It also has a strong firewall. Its cost is minimal and totally worth it.

I also install MSE on machines I repair to replace AVG. Its a shame about what AVG has done, they used to be the "go-to" antivirus company.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Its a shame about what AVG has done, they used to be the "go-to" antivirus company.

So true!!! Avg should be ashamed of themselves for what they did to the new version.

I'm still trying out avast and liking it so far.

Last edited:

hyperfire

I use kaspersky now. For ages i was stuck with norton on the family computer, i hated it. I took great pleasure in deleting the default norton that came with my new OEM pc. (yes, i know self builds are better, believe me, i wanted to, but my benefactors (aka my parents) think OEM is for some reason far superior).

adamcpennington

AVG is okay. They did me dirty a few years ago, a glitch they've most likely solved since. After an hour or two of reloading a fresh XP installation I ran AVG- not that it needed it- just to let it do it's thing. After the scan it reported that it had found definitions that could cause harm if deleted. Was it a virus? Was it a trojan stuck into the torrent copy of XP I was using? IDK. It bsod:eek: on reboot after I decided to give it the go ahead. I've since turned to PC Tools Dr Spyware offered free from Google. That along with MS Security Essentials. That's not all I use, just the ones I leave to run on a customers computer. Other anti-viruses have different strong points.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
AVG is okay. They did me dirty a few years ago, a glitch they've most likely solved since. After an hour or two of reloading a fresh XP installation I ran AVG- not that it needed it- just to let it do it's thing. After the scan it reported that it had found definitions that could cause harm if deleted. Was it a virus? Was it a trojan stuck into the torrent copy of XP I was using? IDK. It bsod:eek: on reboot after I decided to give it the go ahead. I've since turned to PC Tools Dr Spyware offered free from Google. That along with MS Security Essentials. That's not all I use, just the ones I leave to run on a customers computer. Other anti-viruses have different strong points.

Yeah, most likely you had malware in your torrented copy. An antivirus program is your first line of defense, however, you will find out that malwarebytes/superantispyware will be better at detecting todays infections.

OvenMaster

VIP Member
I like Avira Free version.
AVG always manages to flag and remove Windows files, and Avast gives a lot of false positives.

Punk

Staff member
I used to have Norton for a while, it was great. I used to go on some grey area websites and never got anything past Norton.

Then I went to Avast because it was free, been using it for about three years now and never got any virus either.

I recommend both of them, if you want to pay, Norton is great. If not, Avast free is good enough!

EDIT:
In order to have a full protection, I suggest you add a anti-malware software such as Malwarebyte :)

spirit

Staff member
I agree with the comments regarding AVG, it used to be brilliant, especially AVG Free 7.5, but then after 8.0 and 8.5, it started to become a bit rubbish. Takes an age to install and yes it does ask you to reboot after every single update.

I use Trend Micro Worry-Free Business Security (a mouthful I know) at the moment, it's pretty much the best I've ever come across if you can afford it (it runs off our server and is on all our computers at home), so I voted Trend in the poll. If you want a free anti-virus I'd recommend either Avast, for it's features, or MSE, for it's ad-free and simple-as-you-like user interface. I have used Kaspersky Internet Security 2009, 2010 and 2011 in the past, but I preferred Avast Free in the end as it was so much faster, had the same sort of features, and of course it was free. I especially preferred Avast Free Anti-Virus when Avast Free 6.0 came out about a year ago now.

WeatherMan

Right now, Nothing (I'll be switching to an SSD soon)

But usually Avast! :)

Although I remember 4ish years ago, when it was a piece of absolute junk! :p

ayan

Avast is doing an wonderful job considering it's a free antivirus. I expected worse of it, but it's doing great. Kudos to avast :-bd