Are SSHDs any good?

The VCR King

When I get my new power supply I plan to buy a replacement 1TB disk to speed up my system. Should I get another HDD, an SSD, or try an SSHD?

spirit

Staff member
SSHDs are a waste of time in my opinion. I had one for a few months and it died, but whilst it was still working it was essentially just a 5400 RPM hard disk with an 8GB flash cache. Windows itself was cached in the 8GB flash storage which was nice, it meant Windows booted up and shut down quickly like it did on an SSD, but the rest of the system ran at 5400 RPM speeds because that was stored on the 5400 RPM HDD. That meant it was really slow and the 7200 RPM regular disk that my ThinkPad shipped with was actually faster. The only speed benefit I saw was the booting up and shut down times and that was it. So these 'SSD-like performance!' claims are rubbish.

That SSHD was the biggest waste of £80 ever. It was slow and it only lasted for about 5 or 6 months before it bit the bullet and died. A few months later I had gotten sick of it and so I spent about the same again on a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB and then not longer after that, the SSHD died. To be fair I had been used to SSDs since 2011, but this SSHD was unbearable to me and it annoyed me that actually the regular HDD the laptop shipped with was faster. I should've done my research. Never again! :p

The VCR King

SSHDs are a waste of time in my opinion. I had one for a few months and it died, but whilst it was still working it was essentially just a 5400 RPM hard disk with an 8GB flash cache. Windows itself was cached in the 8GB flash storage which was nice, it meant Windows booted up and shut down quickly like it did on an SSD, but the rest of the system ran at 5400 RPM speeds because that was stored on the 5400 RPM HDD. That meant it was really slow and the 7200 RPM regular disk that my ThinkPad shipped with was actually faster. The only speed benefit I saw was the booting up and shut down times and that was it. So these 'SSD-like performance!' claims are rubbish.

That SSHD was the biggest waste of £80 ever. It was slow and it only lasted for about 5 or 6 months before it bit the bullet and died. A few months later I had gotten sick of it and so I spent about the same again on a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB and then not longer after that, the SSHD died. To be fair I had been used to SSDs since 2011, but this SSHD was unbearable to me and it annoyed me that actually the regular HDD the laptop shipped with was faster. I should've done my research. Never again! :p
Wow, I didn't know they were so bad! I'll definitely stay away from those! :eek:

spirit

Staff member
I have one in my work laptop.

It sucks balls.
When they first came out most SSHDs were 3.5" and 7200 RPM so the performance was actually OK, but most of them seem to be 2.5" and only 5400 RPM now. :(

The VCR King

This leads me to my next question. If I get a 1TB SSD to replace my 1TB HDD, could I simply clone my HDD to my SSD and just run it or do I need to do a total Windows reinstall and all that lovely crap?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
How long has it been since you've done a fresh install? If it hasn't been in the last year, I would just do a fresh install as you'll get better performance that way. And you realize that a 1tb SSD is almost $300 right?

The VCR King

How long has it been since you've done a fresh install? If it hasn't been in the last year, I would just do a fresh install as you'll get better performance that way. And you realize that a 1tb SSD is almost $300 right?
My last fresh install was about six months ago when I did some other upgrades.

beers

Staff member
I'd just fresh install, it takes literally 15 minutes to set everything back up including installing from USB.

Boi you need to read your signature again before envisioning blowing all of this cash.

The VCR King

I'd just fresh install, it takes literally 15 minutes to set everything back up including installing from USB.

Boi you need to read your signature again before envisioning blowing all of this cash.
Yeah I am doing the PSU first, that's top priority.

And I have an honest question. What is the benefit of doing a fresh Windows install? I got my computer set up how I like it and it runs fine. I hate doing fresh installs because then I have to reinstall everything and I have to get everything back to what it was.

Geoff

VIP Member
Yeah I am doing the PSU first, that's top priority.

And I have an honest question. What is the benefit of doing a fresh Windows install? I got my computer set up how I like it and it runs fine. I hate doing fresh installs because then I have to reinstall everything and I have to get everything back to what it was.
I'm guessing you install tons of programs that you find on the internet, like free video converters, PC cleaning software, etc Doing a fresh install wipes all of that out so you don't have useless programs installed and running, taking up unnecessary storage and memory.

spirit

Staff member
Takes longer to clone an OS than it does to install it fresh. For best performance install fresh.

Laquer Head

I'm guessing you install tons of programs that you find on the internet, like free video converters, PC cleaning software, etc Doing a fresh install wipes all of that out so you don't have useless programs installed and running, taking up unnecessary storage and memory.

I can nearly guarantee he is this type of user..

The VCR King

My programs:
MboZEoe.png

oj3yYaG.png

YiRT8qw.png