Are SSHDs any good?

spirit

Staff member
Here's what I'd circle and remove if you don't ever use these:

YTD Video Downloader
Windows Essentials 2012
Windows Driver Package (can't tell if this driver software or a tool to update your drivers, if it's the latter then remove it)
Unlocker
Streaming Internet Radio Toolbar
Sapphire TRIXX
ReadySHARE Cloud (unless it serves some kind of purpose and you need to use it)
PL-2303HXD Vista Driver Installer (unless it is actually a driver for something you have, Google says it's a USB-Serial adapter - what serial peripherals are you using?)
PC Wizard
Muffin Player
Office 97 (I get why you might still be using Publisher 2002 if you don't use it all that often, but if you still use Office 97 as your Microsoft Office suite, remove it and use a web-based solution like Microsoft Office Online or Google Docs, or look at OpenOffice or LibreOffice instead. Besides, this looks like a 'leftover')
Java 8 Update 45
InterActual Player
InfraRecorder
IceChat
Google Earth Plugin
Free YouTube Uploader
Firebird SQL Server
DVICO FusionHDTV (if you don't watch TV on your PC)
Desktop Encyclopedia
Defraggler
ControlCenter
Cisco Connect
ATI Catalyst Install Manager (just update your graphics drivers)
AnalogX NetStat Live
America's Greatest Chili Cook Book (if you don't use it)
Active DVD Eraser

Obviously I don't know what you use each of these for and I don't know if these are important for anything you do/hardware you have without researching, but at a glance the above looks like it could all be removed.

Last edited:

The VCR King

Here's what I'd circle and remove if you don't ever use these:

YTD Video Downloader
Windows Essentials 2012
Windows Driver Package (can't tell if this driver software or a tool to update your drivers, if it's the latter then remove it)
Unlocker
Streaming Internet Radio Toolbar
Sapphire TRIXX
ReadySHARE Cloud (unless it serves some kind of purpose and you need to use it)
PL-2303HXD Vista Driver Installer (unless it is actually a driver for something you have, Google says it's a USB-Serial adapter - what serial peripherals are you using?)
PC Wizard
Muffin Player
Office 97 (I get why you might still be using Publisher 2002 if you don't use it all that often, but if you still use Office 97 as your Microsoft Office suite, remove it and use a web-based solution like Microsoft Office Online or Google Docs, or look at OpenOffice or LibreOffice instead. Besides, this looks like a 'leftover')
Java 8 Update 45
InterActual Player
InfraRecorder
IceChat
Google Earth Plugin
Free YouTube Uploader
Firebird SQL Server
DVICO FusionHDTV (if you don't watch TV on your PC)
Desktop Encyclopedia
Defraggler
ControlCenter
Cisco Connect
ATI Catalyst Install Manager (just update your graphics drivers)
AnalogX NetStat Live
America's Greatest Chili Cook Book (if you don't use it)
Active DVD Eraser

Obviously I don't know what you use each of these for and I don't know if these are important for anything you do/hardware you have without researching, but at a glance the above looks like it could all be removed.
I'll get rid of some, but I still use:
Windows Essentials 2012 (that's the program for movie maker and media center)
Unlocker (it's come in handy more than once for programs that I can't delete)
ReadySHARE Cloud (that's for my Netgear NAS system and I have it set up for cloud on my phone)
Office 97 and Publisher 2002 because I like the older Office versions and I use them daily for school work
IceChat because I use it for other forums and gaming communities
DVICO FusionHDTV because I watch over-the-air TV on my PC daily
America's Greatest Chili Cookbook, me and my mom both use it

Everything else will go though, thank you for helping me narrow it down a bit. :D

spirit

Staff member
I'll get rid of some, but I still use:
Windows Essentials 2012 (that's the program for movie maker and media center)
Unlocker (it's come in handy more than once for programs that I can't delete)
ReadySHARE Cloud (that's for my Netgear NAS system and I have it set up for cloud on my phone)
Office 97 and Publisher 2002 because I like the older Office versions and I use them daily for school work
IceChat because I use it for other forums and gaming communities
DVICO FusionHDTV because I watch over-the-air TV on my PC daily
America's Greatest Chili Cookbook, me and my mom both use it

Everything else will go though, thank you for helping me narrow it down a bit. :D
OK that's fine. I didn't know what all of those were so best you decide.

For the sake of security and productivity, I would recommend removing Office 97 and Publisher 2002 and using OpenOffice or LibreOffice instead (or an online suite). I'm amazed that these old versions of Office still work under Windows 7 or whatever you're using. But it's your call.

I would scan with Malwarebytes, too.

The VCR King

OK that's fine. I didn't know what all of those were so best you decide.

For the sake of security and productivity, I would recommend removing Office 97 and Publisher 2002 and using OpenOffice or LibreOffice instead (or an online suite). I'm amazed that these old versions of Office still work under Windows 7 or whatever you're using. But it's your call.

I would scan with Malwarebytes, too.
Ok. I'll probably go with LibreOffice because I actually use it on my slower Vista machine and it's amazing.

The VCR King

Yeah it will be miles better for you than Office 97. Office 97 is older than you are.
Yeah I really like LibreOffice. I use it on my old Vista machine and on my laptop which ran Ubuntu up until it died and I like it. Really user-friendly programs! :D Just got done installing it. I like it mainly because it's free but has everything that MS Office has.

spirit

Staff member
Yeah I really like LibreOffice. I use it on my old Vista machine and on my laptop which ran Ubuntu up until it died and I like it. Really user-friendly programs! :D Just got done installing it.
Great, wave goodbye to that ancient version of Office then! :)

What exactly does Unlocker do?

The VCR King

Great, wave goodbye to that ancient version of Office then! :)

What exactly does Unlocker do?
What Unlocker does is it force-deletes files that Windows won't let you delete. For example one time I uninstalled a game that I didn't want anymore but the Program Files still remained and when I tried to delete them Windows would say I didn't have permission to. Opened Unlocker, clicked the game's program files folder, boom, gone!

spirit

Staff member
What Unlocker does is it force-deletes files that Windows won't let you delete. For example one time I uninstalled a game that I didn't want anymore but the Program Files still remained and when I tried to delete them Windows would say I didn't have permission to. Opened Unlocker, clicked the game's program files folder, boom, gone!
Oh ok. Sounds quite good. I was going to suggest you might want to use Revo instead which removes programs that have been damaged, but it doesn't remove single files. I think in the future I'd recommend using Revo to remove programs that won't uninstall properly but Unlocker sounds good for removing files that won't delete. Now you mention it, I think I've heard of people using Unlocker before.

The VCR King

Oh ok. Sounds quite good. I was going to suggest you might want to use Revo instead which removes programs that have been damaged, but it doesn't remove single files. I think in the future I'd recommend using Revo to remove programs that won't uninstall properly but Unlocker sounds good for removing files that won't delete. Now you mention it, I think I've heard of people using Unlocker before.
Hmm, never heard of Revo before. I'll give it a try sometime, thanks! :)

spirit

Staff member
Hmm, never heard of Revo before. I'll give it a try sometime, thanks! :)
Best thing is there's a portable version so you needn't even install it. :)

It's recommended by a lot of people. I've used it a lot in the past. It also removes registry keys and temporary files that uninstallers leave behind.

The VCR King

Best thing is there's a portable version so you needn't even install it. :)

It's recommended by a lot of people. I've used it a lot in the past. It also removes registry keys and temporary files that uninstallers leave behind.
Ooh I like the idea of the portable version. Definitely trying it now!

Laquer Head

My programs:
MboZEoe.png

oj3yYaG.png

YiRT8qw.png

HOLY SWEET FLYING CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spirit

Staff member
Cmon dude... It's not THAT bad...
Hmmm you have more 'crapware' than most people on here at least or you'd expect from somebody interested in computers would have. I'll say I have seen much worse and actually to be honest if you buy any PC brand new it will come with a load of shit pre-installed, but I did point out quite a long list of stuff you could remove and the list is still quite long even when you keep the ones I pointed out but you say you use. ;)

Darren

Staff member

spirit

Staff member
It's not NEARLY as bad as I would have expected. In fact, that's really not too bad at all for a teenager. In terms of the amount of junky programs you have, that's about typical for a freshly installed machine. I've seen WAAAYYY worse on most of my friends machines I help them with.
Yeah true, I have seen worse. Brand new PCs sometimes come with more genuine crapware than he has actually.