Are SSHDs any good?

spirit

Staff member
500GB SSDs are now affordable (you can get them for about £120 or £130) and 1TB SSDs will be becoming more affordable soon. Once 1TB SSDs are available for about £100 that will be the end of the SSHD. Sure, a 1TB HDD currently costs about £50 but one day a 1TB SSD will cost that too. I'd happily pay £100 for a 1TB SSD for the extra speed benefit, especially given that my last 1TB SSHD cost about £80.

JaredDM

Doesn't matter as I'll never buy a Toshiba drive even though they are owned by Western Digital. I feel the Toshiba drives are one of the worst drives out there.

Toshiba isn't owned by WD, that's HGST. While they may have had some issues years ago today they are actually really good drives. Right now it's Seagate you should be avoiding like the plague. HGST are currently the reliability winners, despite their past "DeathStar" issues. In a few years, you'll all be hating Seagate far more trust me.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I screwed that up. Toshiba is its own company. Hitachi is owned by WD. And he is right, I'll never buy a Seagate drive ever again.

Darren

Staff member
My Barracuda is still going strong after nearly 5 years. Put them in several other machines and they've been fine. I usually just grab a WD Blue or Seagate Barracuda for builds, whichever is cheaper.

spirit

Staff member
My Barracuda is still going strong after nearly 5 years. Put them in several other machines and they've been fine. I usually just grab a WD Blue or Seagate Barracuda for builds, whichever is cheaper.
Both are good drives however I think the Blues are only 7200 RPM up to 1TB. Any bigger and they're only 5400 RPM. :(

Seagate 3TB drives have really poor reliability rates (had first hand experience too), so I always buy WD 3TB drives even though they're slower, but otherwise either WD or Seagate is fine. :D

The VCR King

I'll second that, the 1.5T capacity was also very horrific.

I pretty much just buy hgst these days. The 4TB 7200 rpm nas drives are pretty decent.
I had a Seagate 3TB a long time ago in my ReadyNAS and it failed after about 6 months and I RMA'd it and got my money back instead of a replacement drive. Seriously though, what's up with Seagates horrible failure rate?!