Are SSHDs any good?

Darren

Staff member
It's pretty bad.

I once worked on an ex girlfriend's grandmother's machine (blech), and it took like 2 hours to run CCleaner and not even exaggerating, 20 mins to boot up. It was an XP machine that wasn't terribly old, but good God there's an impressive amount of trash people can find and install without knowing.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I've never seen it take 2 hours to run ccleaner but I have seen it take a good 20-25 minutes on a couple of machines. I was like, OMG no wonder it was taking forever to load. SHHH don't tell Geoff that it really works cause he won't believe you.

Laquer Head

I've never seen it take 2 hours to run ccleaner but I have seen it take a good 20-25 minutes a couple of machines. I was like, OMG no wonder it was taking forever to load. SHHH don't tell Geoff that it really works cause he won't believe you.

*grabs some popcorn and hides to watch the show*

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I had a customer that browsed so many different websites that no matter what I set his browser settings to, his HDD would fill up and he'd bring it in for me to run CCleaner on it.

Darren

Staff member
CCleaner can help a lot with computers that need it, or do nothing at all for those that don't, or break absolutely everything. I had to reinstall Windows once after running CCleaner. I make backups now when I do the registry cleaner. :)

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
I've never had one single problem running Ccleaner on the hundreds of machines I've used it on.
Edited my previous post. It was the registry cleaner part and it completely borked my Games for Windows Live app for GTA IV. Only way to make the game work again was reinstall 7. Granted GFWL is terrible, but still.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Thats why you never run a registry cleaner at all. You take too much of a risk in breaking something. In fact, you really don't get a performance increase from running a registry cleaner. And if you do, its really not noticeable anyway.

Darren

Staff member
Thats why you never run a registry cleaner at all. You take too much of a risk in breaking something. In fact, you really don't get a performance increase from running a registry cleaner. And if you do, its really not noticeable anyway.

Fair enough I guess. I've had it help some, either placebo or otherwise. Before you do a clean you're prompted to create a backup so might as well try it. I don't expect wonders by any means, but I'll do it while I'm in CCleaner for the normal cleaning function.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
I ran TFC on a test web server the other morning because it was low on space. Freed just under 1GB of space.

beers

Staff member
So would the process of cloning a 1TB HDD to a 1TB SSD be the same as 1TB HDD to another 1TB HDD?
Sure, they're just storage.

Personally I'd do a fresh format though and transfer data over afterward, especially since it's been a while. Then you won't inherit all of the other unused garbage on your current drive.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Use the SSD you have already. Just listen to us when we tell you how to separate things between the drives and you won't have low space issues on your SSD :rolleyes:

JaredDM

Getting back to the original OP's question, it's definitely best at this point to stick with a separate SSD OS drive and add a secondary HDD. SSHDs have a lot of future potential, and I suspect you'll be seeing a lot more of them in the future. However right now they are all experiencing a lot of issues with these including NAND memory failures, PCB failures, firmware issues, and the likes. The merging of the two technologies is just too new and they haven't worked out the bugs yet.

A few years from now, I suspect I'll be giving the opposite advice especially now that Toshiba is really throwing their hat in the SSHD ring.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
A few years from now, I suspect I'll be giving the opposite advice especially now that Toshiba is really throwing their hat in the SSHD ring.
Doesn't matter as I'll never buy a Toshiba drive even though they are owned by Western Digital. I feel the Toshiba drives are one of the worst drives out there.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Doesn't matter as I'll never buy a Toshiba drive even though they are owned by Western Digital. I feel the Toshiba drives are one of the worst drives out there.
I'd even take a Hitatchi DeathStar before a Toshiba drive.