Battlefield 3 Thread

SuperDuperMe

Im hoping to overclock the processor, but can it be done on a stock cooler, as the bits i want to buy have stretched my budget to the max. Also how much will it actually help fps in bf3? I know bfbc2 was quite cpu intensive but are we talking a 1-2fps increase with a decent overclock or more like 10-20?

linkin

VIP Member
Well my CPU is constantly at 70-100% in game so I would assume overclocking would help a fair bit. I haven't tested at stock, and frankly, I don't feel like doing it either :D

Overclocking on the stock cooler might be possible. Maximum temp for the 955BE is 62c. no higher.

Troncoso

VIP Member
Well my CPU is constantly at 70-100% in game so I would assume overclocking would help a fair bit. I haven't tested at stock, and frankly, I don't feel like doing it either :D

Overclocking on the stock cooler might be possible. Maximum temp for the 955BE is 62c. no higher.

You can definitely overclock on a stock. Just don't expect a whole lot. Though, on a decent after market you can get a good performance boost, especially if you overclock the GPU as well.

Okedokey

This is exactly what i have been saying for months. The 955BE gets smashed in modern games. My i7 runs at less than 40% with 2 x 580GTX in SLI. We are at a point now where games (e.g. THe Witcher II, BF3 etc) are using the hardware many have claimed are unecesaary such as 8GB of RAM. BF3 runs with nearly 70% of my RAM. Ultra settings on either of the games i mentioned at HD are not going to work on anything weaker than SB at the moment.

linkin

VIP Member
This is exactly what i have been saying for months. The 955BE gets smashed in modern games. My i7 runs at less than 40% with 2 x 580GTX in SLI. We are at a point now where games (e.g. THe Witcher II, BF3 etc) are using the hardware many have claimed are unecesaary such as 8GB of RAM. BF3 runs with nearly 70% of my RAM. Ultra settings on either of the games i mentioned at HD are not going to work on anything weaker than SB at the moment.

It's not getting smashed, it performed greatly along with my 570 :D

I will need more RAM though, because the game fills most of it up, starts going into the page file which was causing me stuttering.

linkin

VIP Member
Well CPU-NB speed also comes into play, as overclocking with the multi doesn't change that, but if you can raise the CPU-NB multi to get around 2800MHz out of the NB it brings a huge performance boost.

I have oc'd mine to 3.9 with nb changes. My mobo sucks so it wont do anywhere near 2800 on the nb so I cannot comment on that. I have not noticed an improvement at all at 3.9.

So I run it on stock clocks till this weekend. I am going with the am3+ Crosshair V for a future bulldozer purchase.

salvage-this

Well CPU-NB speed also comes into play, as overclocking with the multi doesn't change that, but if you can raise the CPU-NB multi to get around 2800MHz out of the NB it brings a huge performance boost.

forgive the noobish question, but what performance boost are you going to see out of OCing the northbridge? more stable OC? or something else?

linkin

VIP Member
forgive the noobish question, but what performance boost are you going to see out of OCing the northbridge? more stable OC? or something else?

IDK but i always read the 955 like upping the NB

http://www.overclockers.com/the-importance-of-northbridge-overclocking-with-the-phenom-ii/

Basically it gives a bigger increases in performance than overclocking the cores.

For example, 2GHz NB (stock speed) and 4GHz CPU performs worse than 3GHz NB and 3GHz CPU.

Ideally you want both as high as possible. They say that the NB should be 3x the actual RAM speed. Since 1600MHz RAM is really 800Mhz, 800 x 3 = 2400

I have tried with no luck. Had a very experienced friend come over. He ran everest on my OC's and noticed this motherboard has serious voltage fluctuations. That's when we came to the conclusion this motherboard sucks.

We spent an entire night trying to get a stable overclock. We got 3.75@ 1.45v and 2200 NB. It ended up not being stable. It is only stable at stock clocks now.

linkin

VIP Member
Oh wow, that does sound bad. Is your chip a C2 or C3? that also might have something to do with it.