best comp

Dr Studly

banned
bigsaucybob said:
Personally I would stay more consistent with the HDD's.

I would get two of a type of Raptor and just put em in RAID.
Raptors? no, only 10,000 RPM ATA Drives:p :rolleyes:

Seagate Cheetah is 15,000 RPM SCSI, and with this budget we are talking SCSI drives...

and as extra note, guys, he didn't ask what to do with 20K, he asked whats the best computer you can build with 20K... it is his money, enough people have said what he should do with it, and that is up to him, but if he wants spend 20K on his computer then so be it, and tell him what to get...

Edit: oh and with that cooling what do u think you oculd overclock the FX-62 to?3.99GHz...?

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Heres my setup, and yes it beats Encore4More's :p

Athena Power AP-RRP4ATX65 658W + 658W Dual AC Hot-Swappable mini redundant Power Supply - OEM
(Motherboard and Processors) $350

PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-Quad SLI T1KW-4E EPS12V 1000Watts Power Supply - Retail (SLI and Hard Drives) $500

SUPERMICRO H8DCE-O Dual Socket 940 NVIDIA nForce4 Professional 2200 Extended ATX Server Motherboard - OEM $400

2x AMD Opteron 285 Italy 1000MHz HT Socket 940 Dual Core Processor Model OSA285CBBOX - Retail $2,140

8x Patriot Signature 2GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) ECC Registered System Memory Model PSD2G40036ERB - Retail $2,288

Creative GigaWorks S750 700 Watts 7.1 Speaker - Retail $430

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail $385

2x MSI NX7950GX2-T2D1GE Geforce 7950GX2 1GB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Dual GPU Video Card - Retail $1,100

2x MITSUBISHI MDT321S Black 32" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail $3,048

4x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3750640AS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s (The First Perpendicular Recording) Hard Drive - OEM (Storage) $1,640

4x Seagate Cheetah 15K.4 ST3146854LW 147GB 15,000 RPM SCSI Ultra320 68pin Hard Drive - OEM (Programs and OS) $4,400

Lian Li PC-G70B Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail $180

NEC 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE/ATAPI Model ND-3550A - OEM $35

LITE-ON Black ATAPI/E-IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model SHD-16P1S - OEM $22

2x LSI Logic 3202064KIT 64-bit,66MHz PCI SCSI MegaRAID Controller Card /w Cables - Retail $1,230

Total w/ Shipping: $18,330

Dr Studly

banned
[-0MEGA-] said:
Heres my setup, and yes it beats Encore4More's :p

Athena Power AP-RRP4ATX65 658W + 658W Dual AC Hot-Swappable mini redundant Power Supply - OEM
(Motherboard and Processors) $350

PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-Quad SLI T1KW-4E EPS12V 1000Watts Power Supply - Retail (SLI and Hard Drives) $500

SUPERMICRO H8DCE-O Dual Socket 940 NVIDIA nForce4 Professional 2200 Extended ATX Server Motherboard - OEM $400

2x AMD Opteron 285 Italy 1000MHz HT Socket 940 Dual Core Processor Model OSA285CBBOX - Retail $2,140

8x Patriot Signature 2GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) ECC Registered System Memory Model PSD2G40036ERB - Retail $2,288

Creative GigaWorks S750 700 Watts 7.1 Speaker - Retail $430

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail $385

2x MSI NX7950GX2-T2D1GE Geforce 7950GX2 1GB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Dual GPU Video Card - Retail $1,100

2x MITSUBISHI MDT321S Black 32" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail $3,048

4x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3750640AS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s (The First Perpendicular Recording) Hard Drive - OEM (Storage) $1,640

4x Seagate Cheetah 15K.4 ST3146854LW 147GB 15,000 RPM SCSI Ultra320 68pin Hard Drive - OEM (Programs and OS) $4,400

Lian Li PC-G70B Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail $180

NEC 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE/ATAPI Model ND-3550A - OEM $35

LITE-ON Black ATAPI/E-IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model SHD-16P1S - OEM $22

2x LSI Logic 3202064KIT 64-bit,66MHz PCI SCSI MegaRAID Controller Card /w Cables - Retail $1,230

Total w/ Shipping: $18,330

generally servers/server ram isn't good for gaming... and AM2 FX-62 would be better choice, because No.1: it is far better and far more overclockable then the Socket 940 Opterons, and it uses DDR2 (and also AM2 & DDR2 means that it will have a MUCH larger room for upgrading...)
There is no speaker system that is better then KLIPSCH ULTRA 2 THX SYSTEM ...
That motherboard does not support SLI, so putting that graphics card in SLI wouldnt work out to great...

The monitors you picked out have a worse max resolution then my old 17" CRT... the Dell Monitors are the supreme... the harddrive configureation is nice, but isn't needed, so it would be better to scrap that plan and just get better cooling and overclock the hell out of an FX-62 to perhaps 3.8GHz? it would probably perform better then the opterons pretty soon after u start rasing the clock speeds... that computer case... eh, it doesn't have quite the cooling features of the stacker... but its really a matter of opinion...

and i think you also might have some conflicts with how many PCI slots are availible with that setup...
ideally my setup would perform better (from the computer to the monitor and the kickass speakers)
you took alot from the computer's enviroment (speakers & monitor) and made the computer have primarily a crapload of unnessesary ram...

also would there be compatibiliy issues with a server/vista?

cheers :)

Geoff

VIP Member
Encore4More said:
generally servers/server ram isn't good for gaming... and AM2 FX-62 would be better choice, because No.1: it is far better and far more overclockable then the Socket 940 Opterons, and it uses DDR2 (and also AM2 & DDR2 means that it will have a MUCH larger room for upgrading...)
That motherboard does not support SLI, so putting that graphics card in SLI wouldnt work out to great...

The monitors you picked out have a worse max resolution then my old 17" CRT... the Dell Monitors are the supreme... the harddrive configureation is nice, but isn't needed, so it would be better to scrap that plan and just get better cooling and overclock the hell out of an FX-62 to perhaps 3.8GHz? it would probably perform better then the opterons pretty soon after u start rasing the clock speeds... that computer case... eh, it doesn't have quite the cooling features of the stacker... but its really a matter of opinion...

and i think you also might have some conflicts with how many PCI slots are availible with that setup...
ideally my setup would perform better (from the computer to the monitor and the kickass speakers)
you took alot from the computer's enviroment (speakers & monitor) and made the computer have primarily a crapload of unnessesary ram...

Two dual-core opterons @ 2.6Ghz would outperform the FX-62 any day. Any i know there are better RAM sticks, but this is if he wants the best all around PC.

And i think it does support SLI, at least the last server motherboard i did. It also has the nFoce 4 chipset.

And the monitor isnt as good, but hey... what do you expect for something that took 10 minues :p

bigsaucybob

[-0MEGA-] said:
Two dual-core opterons @ 2.6Ghz would outperform the FX-62 any day. Any i know there are better RAM sticks, but this is if he wants the best all around PC.

And i think it does support SLI, at least the last server motherboard i did. It also has the nFoce 4 chipset.

And the monitor isnt as good, but hey... what do you expect for something that took 10 minues :p

Yea the monitor isnt as nice, but yours only came out to 18,330. So he has enough money to buy a few monitors, or upgrade the ones you selected.

P11

VIP Member
Encore4More said:

Some good points but I disagree on two. First off, Opterons are overclocking BEASTS, you can get the highest overclock with opterons using stock cooling. My friend has a 165 Opty at 1.8Ghz and overclocked it with stock cooling to 2.5Ghz without raising the voltage... not to mention Opterons become more stable as their clock speed increases (to a certain extent). Secondly, the LCD's both of you suggested are descent....but why not buy a 32" or 40" , 10-bit, Samsung, LCD TV w/ HDMI/DVI/High-definition interface/HDTV/ and all the other goodies. You can use it for your TV/PC/Games/Xbox 360/DVD Player. None the less, a $20 G computer can only be accomplised by adding overpriced useless accessories. Such as your 7 Grand Audio system Encore4More.....lol

Monitor: http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/LCDTV/LNS4095DXXAA.asp

Last edited:

SC7

Opterons OC just as well or better than the FX series. DDR2 has shown no real performance gain yet, either.

Dr Studly

banned
except upgrading... i would guess there will be little happening with Socket 940, but AM2 will be ALOT more upgadable... also as i said server boards are usually poor at gaming, and it would say SLI if it supported it... and also u have to many PCI slots in use...

and we are also talking about "All-Around PC"
mebbe the server is more powerfull, but it isn't as flexible all around (as in Monitor you picke dout, the speakers system is not up to 20K material)

and i would like to again remind that AM2 future processors will be able to crush dual-opterons.....

and another, thing, how overclockable is this board? alot of server boards aren't too overclockable...
and also, i don't think the guy is up to isntalling a server board... idk tho...

SC7

Care to explain how AM2 AMD Will crush opterons? There's been no real improvement from 939 to AM2, so as long as AMD maintains the 940s, it should be fine, although IIRC, 940 isn't dual channel memory yet, the 939 operons are, so possibly it could be, but I would expect AMD to get a new server socket, either AM2, or something else. Opeteron was a big market score for them, however, with Intel's just launching of their new line on the Xeons (like conroe of Xeons), people are saying Intel's leading that too.

34erd

Well it's only the socket 939 opterons that have been known to overclock like hell but either way... its true that Geoff's isnt a true "gaming" rig, but if you're going to be spending 20 k then usualy a workstation is what your in the market for. So if your "only" looking for a gaming rig then I wouldn't justify spending 20 k...

Geoff

VIP Member
Lets not forget that your dealing with two opterons. If it was a single opteron against the fx-62, then i would agree with out. However you have 4 cores running at 2.6Ghz each, which is almost twice the processing power of an FX-62.

Dr Studly

banned
SC7 said:
but I would expect AMD to get a new server socket, either AM2, or something else
bingo;)
if your spending 20K you want to go with the newest socket platform...

Edit: the kilpsh sound system is better then anything anyone will find...

and also, he is NOT making a workstation is making a gaming rig... for gaming, the one i configured, is what would be better...

P11

VIP Member
Encore4More said:
bingo;)

Edit: the kilpsh sound system is better then anything anyone will find...

Sure its the best, but its exactly my point....Useless accessories only to accomplish the 20G mark. Tell me Encore, how is he gonna fit this in his room?:eek:

THXsystem_large.jpg

holyjunk

P11 said:
Sure its the best, but its exactly my point....Useless accessories only to accomplish the 20G mark. Tell me Encore, how is he gonna fit this in his room?:eek:

THXsystem_large.jpg
Drool.................

Dr Studly

banned
P11 said:

THXsystem_large.jpg
well i am assuming if he has 20K to spend he has a rather large room:D

Filip

It would be quite interesting playing CS:S with those speakers... I mean, it would be interesting playing any game with those speakers, the sound would be like you're really there, hey! :rolleyes: , my headphoes are doing really good job convincing me that I'm like in the game, screw the speakers, they're a rip off IMO :rolleyes: , you could buy 3 super gaming rigs for all that money. :eek: