Best Desktop For The Price

EMO-TOCROSS

So on that link you gave me, you listed all the brands/models of each type of part that you would recomend, and than you briefly explained about it. Am i correct?

EMO-TOCROSS

Okay I understand, that helps ALOT, thanks. Do you mind giving me a list of everypart i need in order to make a computer running?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Uh..... add to that list ....
- Phillips screwdriver
And i think you're set (btw im referring to my post there on July 8 and not neccesarily the initial one)

PcBoss

First you will need a screw-driver, if it is a dark room you will also need a torch :D

You will need an operation system (xp pro recommended by me) ;)
You will need a case (It will be better if there is a power supply inc)
If NOT then you will need a power supply.
Processor
Motherboard
RAM
Graphic Card And Sound Card (Buy the soundcard only if you want sound) :rolleyes: lol of cause you do!!!
Hard Drive (If you are not going to store to many stuff 80GB is recommended)
2-3 Fans to keep your system cool
Speakers (Only if you bought a sound card) :D
Monitor
mouse + keyboard

Tip (If you want your computer to be a bit more speedy then go for a expensive motherboard!

well i guess i did't miss anything out did i? if i did then add on!

Regards

PcBoss

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
You will need a case (It will be better if there is a power supply inc)
If you visted the site I spec'd both a case and a PSU

Processor
Motherboard
RAM
Graphic Card And Sound Card (Buy the soundcard only if you want sound) lol of cause you do!!!
Hard Drive (If you are not going to store to many stuff 80GB is recommended)
2-3 Fans to keep your system cool
Speakers (Only if you bought a sound card)
Monitor
mouse + keyboard
Only thing i forgot was the monitor. :)

PcBoss

praetor has given you all parts you need and i added the monitor AND TORCH :D

do there you go! you wont need anything else!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yep! Well you dont really need a torch... a dremel would be more handy ;) .....'sides who cant see in the dark?

EMO-TOCROSS

Thanks guys, That seriously helps me out. I Feel like a computer expert with that information (god im such a noob :) ) . Im gonna do some research tonight, and look thru that link you gave me.. And come up with the part configuration I want. I will post my plan, and hopefully I'll get some good advice from you guys on what works about the plan and what doesnt, and what needs to change. Thanks!!

EMO-TOCROSS

Okay So Here's where I am right now. All I need your help on is a case with psu (tell me what you think the best one is for the price at newegg), and a soundcard. Let me know how this setup would work, and what could be better or changed.. Thanks

Operation system: Windows XP Professional

Case And PSU :

Processor: Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail

Motherboard: ASUS "P4P800S" i848P Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU -RETAIL

RAM: OCZ Ultra High Performance Dual Channel Kit 184-Pin 512MB(256MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - Retail

Graphic Card: Rosewill ATI RADEON 9600LE Video Card, 256MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "96LE-AD-256C" -RETAIL

Sound Card:

Hard Drive: Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model WD800BB, OEM Drive only

CD Drive: Sony Black 52x32x52x16 Combo Drive, Model CRX320E Black, OEM

Fans(2-3): AeroCool UV LED Case fan 80MM, Model "AeroFans-UV-BB-SV" -RETAIL x3

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail
Get the OEM version if you can... it's cheaper and its the same thing just without a stinkin box :)

CD Drive: Sony Black 52x32x52x16 Combo Drive, Model CRX320E Black, OEM
Errrrrrrm... I guess if you want a combo drive that bad... i'd recommend getting two drives... neither of them Sony though ...

Sound Card:
SBAudigy2 baseline. Good card. Good price

What HSF do you want to run on that chip? :)

EMO-TOCROSS

errr HSF? What chip? Sorry Im soo new to computer parts, mind telling me what an HSF is and on what chip(im guessing the sound card/chip).

Mind filling me in on a good cd-rw drive. I just need something that burns/copies cd's fast and also a dvd player

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
HSF = heatsink-fan (the cooler). Have a look at http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/81431 for some ideas.

A good CD burner: anything by ASUS or LiteOn
A good DVD burner: the Pioner107
If you absolutely must have just one drive, the only easily obtainable good options are the Plextor708 and the Plextor712 ... prolly more expensive than the two combine.

EMO-TOCROSS

Okay, Im going to get three Thermaltake 80mm High Performance DC fan, Model "TT-8025A-2B" of those for cooling down my system. I'll spend some time looking thru ASUS or LiteOn burners.. I'll add the SBAudigy2 baseline for my sound card. Now all I need is a Case With the PSU. Mind helping me decide on a good one from newegg? THanks man, your a life saver!!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
By fans, it's not so important to have case fans but more important to have a CPU fan .. i'd reccomend the Thermaltake Polo735 for brute force or Vantec Aerocool

EMO-TOCROSS

ThatThermaltake Polo735 is 32.99, which in reality makes me spend more with buying the OEM Version. Shouldnt I just BUy the regular P4 System I told you that already comes with a cpu fan and heatsink? Cuz that would save some cash

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The CPU HSF on the stock version is a POS. Well its okay but i wouldnt feel comfortable with it. :) Your call. You technically dont NEED it ... but then again you dont NEED Life Insurance either .... :)

EMO-TOCROSS

yeah I understand what your saying, Im gonna go with what you think is beter which is the OEM Version with the Thermaltake Polo735 for it. Should I buy some extra fans too? Cuz you can never run too cool.. Also, What Do i look for in cases to know if it will all fit, or like if its got the power system in it and all..?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. The Thermaltake Polo735 is a superior fan in every respect. You wont be dissapointed

2. Case fans are good. Get a good fan rather than a "bling bling" fan. If you dont want to spend the money on a good fan, just get a stock plain fan and get a light for your case or something

3. If you get a good case it usually comes with a nice solid Entec 400W PSU

4. If you want a case reccomendation, go for Chieftec/Chenming