Best Desktop For The Price

EMO-TOCROSS

Man I couldnt be happier that I met you Praetor!! Im gonna spend the next hour or so, going over everything, picking through the cases, double checking on the drives, fans, cards and all that stuff.. Meanwhile, Do you think I should go for a better video card since I still Have like 200$ more? Or is the video card good enough? Thanks man, Your seriously appreciated!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Rosewill ATI RADEON 9600LE Video Card, 256MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "96LE-AD-256C" -RETAIL
I'm not an ATI fan so I wasnt initially aware of the specs on this card. Now I am more informed. I would go after the standard 9600 or even the 9600Pro. The 9600LE doesnt have active cooling (i.e., a fan). That's because it doesnt have the graphical horsepower to require cooling.

ASUS "P4P800S" i848P Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU -RETAIL
Forgive me i'm slow (i dont sleep and I have stuff on my mind). I would avoid this motherboard if you have $200 to spare. This mobo doesnt support Dual channel DDR as well as a bunch of other small things I would have expected. I would reccomend the P4P800 which runs off the much more presigious i865PE chipset. This board has supports Dual Channel DDR

Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model WD800BB, OEM Drive only
If you've still got money after the above two (or at least a jump to the baseline 9600), get a bigger drive ... if its an 8MB cache version all the better.

Man I couldnt be happier that I met you Praetor!!
Glad I could help... it's nice to help people who care to learn heehee

darkd3vil

make sure you buy all the right parts and everything if you have a ? about what you need to just boot it up ask me i know what you need now

EMO-TOCROSS

Okay here it is.. My Second Draft of my custom built computer plan.. let me know your thoughts again. I greatly appreciate this.

Operation system: Windows XP Professional

Case And PSU : ENERMAX Silver 10-BAY ATX Mid-Tower Case(Aluminum Front Panel) with 400W Power Supply, Model "CS-EN5171LBFS-S" -RETAIL

Processor: Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - OEM - Retail

Motherboard: ASUS "P4P800-E Deluxe" i865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU -RETAIL

RAM: OCZ Ultra High Performance Dual Channel Kit 184-Pin 512MB(256MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - Retail X2 (Will purchase 2 of these since motherboard can support up to 4gb!)

Graphic Card: Info-Tek ATI RADEON 9600PRO Video Card, 256MB DDR, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "R9600-PRO D3H" -RETAIL

Sound Card: (motherboard Says Onboard Audio: ALC850 8-CH ?? This mean no soundcard?)

Hard Drive: Western Digital Special Edition 120GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, 8mb cache, Model WD1200JB, OEM Drive Only

CD Drive: Lite-On 52X32X52X16 Combo Drive, Model SOHC-5232K, Retail (Dont need a dvd burner, I can buy one later)

CPU Processor Fan: Thermaltake POLO 735 Extreme 3 in 1 CPU Cooler for AMD K7 & K8 and Intel P4 processors, Model "POLO 735" -RETAIL

Fans(2-3): AeroCool UV LED Case fan 80MM, Model "AeroFans-UV-BG-SV" -RETAIL (3, brighten the color up! and cool down the system)

Speakers: Already have some

Monitor: Very good friend lending me his extra flat screen

Mouse: Have Extras

Keyboard: Have Extras

TOTAL: $ 847.70 (I have $864.. phew)

darkd3vil

awsome and make sure you buy the right parts and cables my first builds boot up was delayed 3 days because i didnt buy a sata/raid card :( come on newegg be extra speedy for me today!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
For next time, since you're on the page anyways, gimme the link so i dont have to go hunt them down :)

1. Case: solid decent case

2. PSU: cant be bad because otherwise Enermax would have used theirs (and Enermax makes nice PSUs with solid rails)

3. Good call on the proc. No need buying a faster one when you can just OC :)

4. Nice job on the mobo

5. For the RAM there are two approaches: (a) Get a crapload of RAM to make up for the loss of Dual Channel DDR ('sides PC3200 isnt bad either) or (b) get the 1GB set (two sticks of 512MB) in order to make the most of DualChannel DDR

6. Solid harddrive.

7. w00t! You wont be dissapointed. It runs loud. It runs fast (you can turn the speed down at night if you have to and its quite sleepable)

8. Nice choice of chassis fans although you may need/want to change them for the bigger 92mm versions which push out more air. Why? If i'm not mistaken, the rear chassis mounts look to be 92mm. The side fan is still 80mm so get one for that at least. The front fan might be a 92mm fan too. Look into that before you buy it ... i havnt slept in a couple days ... my perception is fried (email Enermax or look around on the Enermax website they'll know)

REAR
11-124-061-04.JPG

FRONT
11-124-061-05.JPG

All in all VERY nice. A friend of mine put it to me this way, "You're not saving money. You're gonna spend the same amount anyways, you might as well get more stuff" <Nephilim>

EMO-TOCROSS

Oh sorry about not linking the pages, I'll make sure I do that in the future to save your time. I feel confident about what I've chosen, and I did make some changes based on your suggestions. I also added 2 Antec 92mm SmartCool Fans( http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=35-129-032&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE ), So that whether they are 80mm or 92mm or both, I have them covered. I also changed the ram to this: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-900&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE
Which I believe is what you said would be smarter.

But I also have a few n00b questions running in my head. Okay here they are:

1.) Do I need a sound card, even if the motherboard says it has a audio card?

2.) I obviously need to hook up to my dsl, so does any of those parts have an ethernet adapter for like those hub cords or something.

3.) Do any of the cards have USB connectors, or do i need to buy a separate card for that?

4.) Do I need any extra cables, wires, or anything to mount it all, and connect all the parts to eachother? Like, Do they all just connect to eachother with what they come with?

5.) Will this all fit in the chassis?

6.) Any tips on making your own computer? Could I fry the motherboard or something easily? What do I need to be aware of?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
This RAM is slightly faster http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-440&depa=1 (and cheaper)

Do I need a sound card, even if the motherboard says it has a audio card?
If you're into play games all the time or listening to music all the time yeah. If you casually listen to musics (say, as ur surfin the net or something) then probably not. If you're budget is tight, get a SoundblasterLive .. they are quite cheap nowadays

I obviously need to hook up to my dsl, so does any of those parts have an ethernet adapter for like those hub cords or something.
The motherboard comes with a NIC .. all you need is a RJ45 cable (which usually comes with the DSL model anyways). If you need to split your internet over several machines then you'll need a router. Shouldnt cost more than $50USD

Do any of the cards have USB connectors, or do I need to buy a separate card for that?
Unless I'm horribly mistaken, the mobo has a whole bunch of USB jacks (at least 4 I would imagine)

Do I need any extra cables, wires, or anything to mount it all, and connect all the parts to eachother? Like, Do they all just connect to eachother with what they come with?
Worst case scenario:
- 2 x IDE connectors (ATA133 cables)
- 1 x CDROM audio connector (probably optional)
- 1 x power cable
- ? x power splitters depending on the number of fans your MOBO/PSU can directly support
I would only expect you to actually need the last one if anything.

Will this all fit in the chassis?
Yeah

Any tips on making your own computer? Could I fry the motherboard or something easily? What do I need to be aware of?
1. Never operate while it's on
2. If you're not comfortable installing the CPU/HSF, pay some dude $5 to pop it in for ya... better than scratchin something
3. Take things slow. Read the manual. Be able to picture whatr ur about to do in your head without referring to any drawings. If it doesnt make intuitive sense then its wrong
4. Plugs, memory, CPUs and damn near everything else fits only one way
5. Be careful with the screwdriver
6. You may be concerned about ESD (im not but a bunch of my friends are paranoid over it)

EMO-TOCROSS

Okay Im starting to get it. Music is very important to me, and my budget has closed in. So Im gonna try to squeeze in a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy ES PCI Sound Card, Model "SB0162" -OEM (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=29-102-166&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE)
how do you feel about that one?

This sounds like everything is gonna be good. This will be my final setup: (unless of coarse you find something to change)

Operation system: Windows XP Professional

Case And PSU : ENERMAX Silver 10-BAY ATX Mid-Tower Case(Aluminum Front Panel) with 400W Power Supply, Model "CS-EN5171LBFS-S" -RETAIL

Processor: Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - OEM - Retail

Motherboard: ASUS "P4P800-E Deluxe" i865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU -RETAIL

RAM: OCZ Ultra High Performance Dual Channel Kit 184-Pin 1GB (512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - Retail

Graphic Card: Info-Tek ATI RADEON 9600PRO Video Card, 256MB DDR, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "R9600-PRO D3H" -RETAIL

Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy ES PCI Sound Card, Model "SB0162" -OEM

Hard Drive: Western Digital Special Edition 120GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, 8mb cache, Model WD1200JB, OEM Drive Only

CD Drive: Lite-On 52X32X52X16 Combo Drive, Model SOHC-5232K, Retail (Dont need a dvd burner, I can buy one later)

CPU Processor Fan: Thermaltake POLO 735 Extreme 3 in 1 CPU Cooler for AMD K7 & K8 and Intel P4 processors, Model "POLO 735" -RETAIL

80mm Fan: AeroCool UV LED Case fan 80MM, Model "AeroFans-UV-BG-SV" -RETAIL x1

92mm Fan: Antec 92mm SmartCool Thermally Controlled Case Fan with Temperature Sensor, Model "75009" x2

Speakers: Already have some

Monitor: Very good friend lending me his extra flat screen

Mouse: Have Extras

Keyboard: Have Extras

TOTAL: $ 899.21 (I have $864.. yikes! Time to start finding things for ebay!)

--* so all of these parts are compatable with eachother? And If I order all of the above, Will I be able to put it together, and have a running computer once i add the moniter, keyboard, and mouse?

--*Im gonna be slowly getting questions the more time off, so i'll be checkin in often with questions.. Your the best Praetor!! Thanks for the help man :)

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. Good call on the Soundcard... I used to use a SBAudigy until it started givin me trouble ... then again im not a audiophille so I popped a SBLive in ... im ranting ... the SBAudigy is a good card :)

2. If you need to "free" up money, drop the videocard down to 128MB ... not that much performance jump when u use 256MB

3. Good job on the Litey! :)

4. For the fans, make sure you dont buy too many (not that its a bad thing) ... the case may come with a fan or two: read up ... I only glanced by

--* so all of these parts are compatable with eachother? And If I order all of the above, Will I be able to put it together, and have a running computer once I add the moniter, keyboard, and mouse?
I dont see any particular compatibility issues. Course I'm not an Intel/ATi expert so I might be missing some small stupid technicalities you never know. It seems ok by me.

Thanks for the help man
Not a problem. It's nice to help people who care to learn.

darkd3vil

looks good to me i dont know but u may need a floopy drive to install drivers for stuff i know i do and im getting one today, well good luck and happy building, and if you really need to drop some money you could go t oa 80gb harddrive unless u plan to put a ton of stuff on ther, and im jealous ill post my specs later

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Bah floppy! ('sides its a $5 deal) You dont really need a floppy unless you're eager to flash your bios every week or something :)

EMO-TOCROSS

Wow.. After taking some good looks at the motherboard I'm getting and cards and stuff, I feel I can actually put this together. Also, I found out that the case takes 2 80mm fans in the back, 1 80mm fan on the top, and one 120mm fan in the front. So Im gonna get those fans. Now my only concern is what kind of plug does http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=35-129-221&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE
that use? And does the case have those or enough of those for 3 additional fans? Is there a duplicator for the plugs or adaptor that I should be aware of?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Usually case fans come with some form of "pass-through connector where you can power the fan but also continue to use the cable to power something else more useful much like what you can sort of make out from this picture:
xoxide_1799_431596

If you do need to however, add more fans and you dont have power connectors, then you'll want somethign like this: http://store.yahoo.com/xoxide/4pinsplitter.html or http://store.yahoo.com/xoxide/3pinsplitter.htm depending on the power connectors for the fan (find out!). You may want/have to make use of convertors http://store.yahoo.com/xoxide/4to3.html or http://store.yahoo.com/xoxide/3to4pinadaptor.html

Also check to see if the case COMES with the fans as opposed to just the slots for them.

darkd3vil

most cases come without fans but somtimes they do, and i need a floopdy druve load my sata/raid thing i dont think your running raid so dont worry

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Even when i pop a RAID card in (or when i used my A7V333) i could still point to the CDROM (of course i had to make some funky changes here and there)

EMO-TOCROSS

The case comes with one fan thats on the window as you can see in the picture, which it said in the specs too. But it just has the three 80mm fan mounts and the 120mm fan mount. So I assum, It has as many plugs for those three additional fans knowing people will buy fans for the mounts. If not, I can always just run over to staples or bestbuy and grab some...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
It has as many plugs for those three additional fans knowing people will buy fans for the mounts
If by "it" you mean the case then yes. If you mean the power supply... most likely ... but then again ive seen some wierd stuff with computers ... i would run out to buy them quite yet .. only spend what u need to spend :)

EMO-TOCROSS

Today was quite an interesting/learning full day. My friend who is making his own computer too, recieved his parts today, and invited me over to help with building it. He had boughten some kind of Antec case, And I noticed it was HUGE compared to his dell desktop. The case that Im lookin to order, is probable huge itself. Are there any cases that are going to be smaller ( I may be moving around this desktop ). Or Am I just gonna have to live with a big case. although I do know that the big case is easier to work with and spacier. Also, I found buliding a computer is very frusterating. Maybe it was just the parts he used/bought, but I'll tell ya, it got me worried on making my own. Heres what he did. He had boughten a mother board made by some company called gigabite or something.. He also bought a AMD Processor 2.2. He had a really old hard drive from his old computer, that still had windows xp profesional, and it worked in the other computer this morning.
So we put together the computer in his new case, plugging in everything exactly as the manual to the mother board shows. We diddnt put in a audio card, but we did take out my good video card from my dell. We put it all together, everything hooked up, and turned on the computer..... The screen turned on, showed the little thing that the motherboard said it would, than went to this black screen with white words for a bit. Than it changed and said in white words it couldnt read any drives.. We checked over the whole computer forever and replugged it all but still got the same screen. The only conclusion we got to was the harddrive broke. So we took out the harddrive, and put it back in the old computer.. The old computer diddnt work now, it did the same thing as the new one... It was just soo frusterating, and so know he's gonna have to get a harddrive we're assuming. But we're not even sure that was the problem.
So that experience got me worried that I'm gonna be spending nearly 900$ on computer parts, No warranty because im making it, and hoping it will work. It seemed like a million things could go wrong, and only 1 way is right.. Is this just the lack of confident from being a n00b at this?

darkd3vil

make sure you ground yourself and are you posititive he had everything compaitable, i just spent about 850 dollars and i put my comptuer together for the frist time first build ever and it went so smoothly. i mean just read and dont screw with stuff that u dont know about just ask people if you dont know