Brutally Honest Critiques

speedyink

VIP Member
Or just center it up, then move you're camera a little to the left or right :p

This worked very well in my point and shoot days. Center the subject, half click to focus on said object, then pan the camera a little to the left or right, then finish pressing the button.

TFT

VIP Member
You typically don't want to have the subject in the perfect center of the photo, just cropping it a bit gives the photo a whole new perspective.

11vs9hl_zps68e63cad.jpg

I agree but disagree with the crop, the open space should be in the direction the dog is looking, also the tree to the left of the dog is pulling your eyes towards it and becoming the main focus.

11vs9hl_zpsc82c2ee1.jpg

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Yes, I think TFT's crop is better than Geoff's, but having that Rule of Thirds grid on your LCD, Life, will really help you I think. :)

OK guys, critique away... by the way if anybody wants to tweak this let me know and I can PM you the original RAW file.

In a Rush by JasonBrown2013, on Flickr

Last edited:

Justin

VIP Member
Road is perfectly exposed. Good job there.
The bits of land beside the road are too dark. I would have done a second exposure to properly expose the land then blend them together in PS.

spirit

Staff member
Thanks Justin. I do happen to have a shot just like this but darker/with less exposure, so could I blend them together in CS5.1?

Punk

Staff member
Not much to say, nicely done, exposure is correct and I don't mind the darker sides personally :)

Geoff

VIP Member
I agree but disagree with the crop, the open space should be in the direction the dog is looking, also the tree to the left of the dog is pulling your eyes towards it and becoming the main focus.

11vs9hl_zpsc82c2ee1.jpg
I agree that's better, but I was just showing an example of what I meant by rule of thirds.

Justin

VIP Member
I like the composition! Was it a long exposure? The water looks smooth as. I think the highlights are a little blown out though. Diggin' the reflections/shadows, too.

Took this yesterday, not sure if the angle works?
-snip-

Yup. 8 second exposure with a 10 stop ND filter.

Spot on with the focus and exposure on your photo. I think a tighter crop would look better. Take off a bit of the top and remove the right most tree trunk so that the biker isn't right smack in the centre.

spirit

Staff member
The bird on the second one is a little underexposed in my opinion, otherwise pretty much perfect.

Punk

Staff member
I'm looking forward to what you say about these two.

735117_10151461237381349_1177459544_n.jpg

408475_10151461218656349_1080878711_n.jpg

It looks very zoomed on, like cropped after the photo was taken (quality wise). Other than that I don't know if the first bird should on the upper right corner, I would have put him more on the lower left corner (not even sure about this...).

The second one feels underexposed but has a pretty cool attitude!

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
They were shot with a 100mm macro, so there was no extra zooming. I didn't crop it by much. I'm finding that macro lens to be pretty soft on farther shots.