Bsod

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
do you still have that ram you took out or did you sell it? the xms2

i wonder if its your ram?

i know you said you ran memtest but still.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Well, I'm back on my computer. I find that if I leave it un-plugged for 15 minutes or so, it'll come back on... :confused:

Nah, I sold the XMS2 to a friend.
I mean, Memtest should be pretty reliable, especially after running for 4 hours, right...

This aint cool!

Kornowski

VIP Member
I've also updated the first post with everything I've tried / happens...

Have Ran Memtest for 4 hours, (3 passes), With no errors.
It happens with everything OC'ed and at Stock.
Will BSOD when at 47% of defrag, with Defragler.
When coming out of Standby, it'll freeze, but not all the time.
Random BSOD's.
Sometimes, Will turn on, Fans Spin, But will not POST or BOOT.
If left un-plugged for 20 minutes, Will come back on.
Have ran Driver Cleaner, to no avail.
Have ran Check Disk, Nothing.
Ran CCleaner, MANY times, no help.
Sometimes, Programs stop responding.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would try another hard drive then mate,thats one thing you havnt tried ;)

TFT

VIP Member
Hi Danny

Have you a spare PSU, although the fans power up on +12v the other voltages may be failing.
+3.3 looks after the memory and CPU
+5v looks after various bits on the motherboard

It could be the quickest option to try

EDIT: If you have tried this then I missed it :)

Kornowski

VIP Member
I don't have another, I'd have to buy one. :cool:

Would I be able to install Windows on the new one, and leave everything (including Vista) on the one I have now? But BOOT from the new one?

Kornowski

VIP Member
Hi Danny

Have you a spare PSU, although the fans power up on +12v the other voltages may be failing.
+3.3 looks after the memory and CPU
+5v looks after various bits on the motherboard

It could be the quickest option to try

Hi Dave,

I've got a 380Watt Antec, I don't know if that'd power my computer though.
There was a way to check the PSU output in Windows, I can't remember what it was?

EDIT; Nope, I haven't tried it.
EDIT TWO: I remember when I was running Memtest, It had like 3.3v and stuff in the top corner, and it said Ok next to them.

It only doesn't power up after it's failed to come out of standby, too.

Last edited:

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Dave,

I've got a 380Watt Antec, I don't know if that'd power my computer though.
There was a way to check the PSU output in Windows, I can't remember what it was?

EDIT; Nope, I haven't tried it.
EDIT TWO: I remember when I was running Memtest, It had like 3.3v and stuff in the top corner, and it said Ok next to them.

It only doesn't power up after it's failed to come out of standby, too.

danny try that 380 w psu,does your mobo have intergrated gfx?

you could try taking out your gfx card if it does and run on intergrated then try booting up on that 380 psu.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
No offense to Shane or Dave, but I highly doubt it's the PSU. The power supply is relatively new, and the 380W Antec won't power his 8800 GTS.

Danny, clear the CMOS and try running one RAM stick at a time. I know you've ran memtest, but some mobos have problems with all four memory banks being populated. Although you haven't had problems with this issue since installing 4 gigs, it can pop up at any time. Also, after POST, hit the F8 key and enter the Windows advanced options menu. Select "Last Known Good Configuration."

I'm not sure if any of this will work, but it's my best shot. :eek:

Good luck man. :)

Irishwhistle

No offense to Shane or Dave, but I highly doubt it's the PSU. The power supply is relatively new, and the 380W Antec won't power his 8800 GTS.

Danny, clear the CMOS and try running one RAM stick at a time. I know you've ran memtest, but some mobos have problems with all four memory banks being populated. Although you haven't had problems with this issue since installing 4 gigs, it can pop up at any time. Also, after POST, hit the F8 key and enter the Windows advanced options menu. Select "Last Known Good Configuration."

I'm not sure if any of this will work, but it's my best shot. :eek:

Good luck man. :)

Ditto! The only time I've had serious BSOD issues was when the RAM went bad... it can't hurt to try.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member

no offence taken my friend,the only reason i said maybe it could be a psu is because what if the pc wasnt getting enough juice? wouldnt it bsod then? when the gfx card draws more power?

i have Lack of knowledge :rolleyes: :D

i know his 380w wont power his GTS thats why i asked him if he had intergrated gfx on his mobo to take out the gts and try and run his system on the 380w psu without the gfx card in:) but he doesnt so....

i was just trying to think of what the hell it could be and try and help as much as i can.

wierd problem though.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Thanks a lot for the help, everybody! :)

I received this from a friend;

the problem is with the hard drive. the $TxfLog file is corrupt and that is what is giving you these errors. Windows checks this file on boot AND when defragging and thenb chucks up an error code if it can't read it properly. Windows is obviously fixing the file when it can't read it but it is just corrupting again so you keep getting bsod. Replace the drive with another and if all goes well rma the stuffed one if it is new enough.

It kind of sounds right, Don't you think?

I'll try the RAM and CMOS, Thanks, Mike!

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
Can you think of something you may have installed recently that could be causing it?

Even though it passed memtest, have you tried one stick of ram at a time?

Do you still have another video card laying around you can try?