Bsod

Kornowski

VIP Member
Nope, I can't think of what may have caused it... It was working fine, then all of a sudden, Bam!

Nope, I haven't tried one at a time, I'll give it a go!
Unfortunately, I don't have another card, and my MOBO doesn't have integrated Graphics.

Does that quote in my previous post sound right, it does, sorta, to me?

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
yeah, i was just about to say something about the hard drive in my last post.. but wasn't sure.

The more i read, its very well possible your drive is going bad and corrupting data.. :(

But replacing the drive is the last resort lol

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
yeah, i was just about to say something about the hard drive in my last post.. but wasn't sure.

The more i read, its very well possible your drive is going bad and corrupting data.. :(

Agreed. It's possible, but let's try to remove all other possibilities. I suggested reseting the CMOS because you stated that the PC couldn't POST. Sometimes a simple reset will resolve that issue. If you're no longer having that issue, see if the Last Known Configuration option will lead you to the desktop. If it doesn't, try to boot into Safe Mode.

lovely?

how is the ram thing going?

if we can rule that out then unfortunately the one thing that hurts most to lose might just be going out. so i'd transfer your important files to something else and RMA it if your ram checks out.

Kornowski

VIP Member
It sometimes doesn't POST, but the majority of the time, it does. It only doesn't after it's failed to come out of standby.

Matt, the RAM passed 4 hours of Memtest.

What does last known good configuration do? I'll give it a go!

I did need a new HDD anyway, so maybe it isn't that bad.

Could I install Vista on the new HDD, then put my current HDD in and copy everything I need over to the new one. OR, Install Vista on the new one. Leaven all my Music and Pictures on the old HDD (have it as a secondary HDD) and delete Vista and all my installed programs, how would I do that?

Thanks for the help, guys! :)

pies

Yeah you can put windows on the new one, plugg the old one in and get your music, pictures, etc. off.
Or you could copy it to the new one clear windows off the old and move everything back to the old one.
-pies

Kornowski

VIP Member
Yeah you can put windows on the new one, plugg the old one in and get your music, pictures, etc. off.
Or you could copy it to the new one clear windows off the old and move everything back to the old one.
-pies

Ok sure, Thanks for that! I think I'll use my current one as extra storage space... :)

pies

You could always try a diganostics program that came with your drive or download one from the companys website or a trial of a different one.
I'm not incredibly familliar with these but I just figured I'd throw it out there and other members maybe ale to give you more insight on them.
This may sound stupid but.
Another thing I read where you said sometimes it will not post/boot maybe you ought to try new ram,psu,or video card if have not just to really make sure.
My buddy had some very odd problems and it turned out to be ram, we tried at least 5 different drives.

Last edited:

Timo

Try to reset the CMOS (taking out the battery/or something like that), then install everything manual to stock. If that doesn't work, try underclocking. And if that doesn't work, if you can, swap out Hard-drives (put it in different plugs on the motherboard). Hm.. Haven't got much more to speculate :/

Sucks doesn't it...

Kornowski

VIP Member
Sir, I really think it's the HDD... I mean, I guess it could be the PSU... But.

Pies, Yeah, I'll look into that, Thanks! I'll post up some results, if I get them! :cool:
Also, I don't have anything spare that I could try...

Timo, I've left if un-plugged for like 12 hours and have it at stock and it still does it...

Thanks!

I think I may go ahead and buy a new HDD, I was after a new one before this all happened anyway..., so...

Kornowski

VIP Member
I'm after a new one anyway, so I think it'd be a prime time to get one. I think I'll put the one I have now in, as a secondary.