Building a gaming PC

spirit

Staff member
Yeah try installing the drivers and let me know if it works or not. Lack of drivers is the only reason why I can think this isn't working.

spirit

Staff member
You could certainly try that, but if you haven't installed any drivers for your Xonar sound card, I'd try that first.

Scotford

well i tried from the cd but towards the end it said could i plug in the sound card itself but it just wasn't picking it up for some reason

spirit

Staff member
Hang on, do you have a sound card? Like a proper card which you plug into the PC - or are you onboard audio?

If you're using onboard audio - download the audio driver from ASRock.

If you're using a proper sound card - download the driver from the manufacturer of your card.

Scotford

I have a proper asus soundcard which is obviously separate which you plug into the actual motherboard.. i was just thinking whether downloading any of that would help and help with the videocard as well?

spirit

Staff member
Right OK.

Download your graphics card drivers from either AMD or NVIDIA (depending on which card you've got).

Download your sound card drivers from the manufacturer.

Alternatively, look in the device manager and see if Windows recognises your sound card (even if there is a yellow question mark next to it). If it does, right click on it and click on update driver and let it find a driver on the web to download and install for you.

Scotford

I think I will have to download it on this all pc and transfer via usb flashdrive because i am having a few problems with it recognising my netgear wireless adapter.. but that is nothing new. always had problems with that on other machines!

Scotford

Hey man. Was just searching the downloads of latest drivers. Is this the one I will need for the video card? it said it was the latest for hd 7000, hd 6000 and hd 5000 series. and I have a hd 6850

Scotford

well that's the soundcard sorted and the internet sorted.. the only thing i cant seem to get working in the video card.. ran the update and its installed...

Scotford

after the driver was installed it came up saying warning messages and showed this:

Existing packages
Packages for install
AMD Catalyst Install ManagerFinal Status: Success
Version of Item: 8.0.903.0
Size: 20 Mbytes
AMD APP SDK RuntimeFinal Status: Success
Version of Item: 10.0.1084.4
Size: 90 Mbytes

Other detected devices

Error messages

spirit

Staff member
So your graphics drivers did not install successfully?

OK, uninstall them, boot into safe mode, and reinstall them. Might want to try re-downloading them.

spirit

Staff member
Yep as your PC is booting but before you see the Windows start screen hit F8 numerous times on your keyboard and select Safe Mode. Install the drivers there (after uninstalling them) and see what happens if they didn't install successfully.

Scotford

Well That is weird. My video card has just decided to sort itself out after shutting the pc down a few times. Can that normally happen? Maybe the card just needed to be ran a few times to basically warm itself up?

Scotford

unbelievable. video card works now but optical drive stops reading cd's.. maybe i need to check in the BIOS whether its in the primary slot?