Bulldozer

jonnyp11

go for a gigabyte or asus before msi, they should have them for similar prices, if you can find one for 5 or less mor then grab it.

jonnyp11

how much is the one you're looking at, and remember that x8 only looses less than 10% of performance so x16/x8 and x8/x8 are perfectly fine.

jonnyp11

actually that seems to be a pretty good deal, go for it man, not too much in a loss of quality but a good gain in specs.

spynoodle

IMO, patience makes perfect right now. I don't know when a patch will be released, but I still think that Bulldozer has the ability to perform better than Thuban.

jonnyp11

Well it does in one or 2 spots, but even with the 10-20% then it might barely nudge it out or be equal, there will be no big victory until possibly early next year when they release the B3 stepping on the 8170 and any other cpus along with it.

BassAddict

Well it does in one or 2 spots, but even with the 10-20% then it might barely nudge it out or be equal, there will be no big victory until possibly early next year when they release the B3 stepping on the 8170 and any other cpus along with it.

Do you even know what a "stepping" is?

jonnyp11

yes, and i meant that when they release the b3 stepping in the next group of the cpus they might be able to add enogh perforance with some tweaks so that it actually is definitively better.

jonnyp11

i was fairly sure before but googled before i replied, and i was correct. But when they originally make a cpu, with no tweaks or modifications just first try, the stepping is A-0, then they will make some small changes and get A-1, and continue on that line. Once they make a larger modification they will move to stepping B-0 or 1, and on like this. I guess you could say it is the like the version of the architecture, so currently we have bulldozer B-2, the next group of cpus out early next year including the 8170 would be on the bulldozer B-3 or C-0/1 stepping or something like that.

Aastii

VIP Member
I actually don't. I tried to google it, but got some dance moves, pretty sure that's not it. So if you could give me a link or explain (in lame mans terms) what it is, I am curious :good:

The stepping is the version of the CPU.

The original is A0.

Minor changes will increment the number by 1, so a small change would make it A1, A2, A3 etc.

Major changes to the architecture, whilst still being on the same overall architecture, will increment the letter by one, so A1, B1, C1 etc

Perkomate

To be honest, I fail to see how a new stepping could radically improve performance, except if there's a B0 stepping released.
I think, in my own opinion, that Bulldozer is a dud. They should move on and get cracking with Piledriver, or whatever it is.

2048Megabytes

To be honest, I fail to see how a new stepping could radically improve performance, except if there's a B0 stepping released. I think, in my own opinion, that Bulldozer is a dud. They should move on and get cracking with Piledriver, or whatever it is.

If AMD's new processor core technology just ends up being worst than Thuban I hope they do not end up doing what Intel did with the Netburst technology. Intel hung on to the Netburst technology for far too long. If it doesn't work better, cut it loose AMD.

BurningSkyline

If AMD's new processor core technology just ends up being worst than Thuban I hope they do not end up doing what Intel did with the Netburst technology. Intel hung on to the Netburst technology for far too long. If it doesn't work better, cut it loose AMD.

Right now with their roadmap, it sounds like they are. I sure hope not.

If they could give us 8 true cores with the similar performance to the new intel chips that would be great.

I'm just going to try to stay optimistic at this point.