Buying Advice For Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucasbytegenius

Though you have to remember this is for a computer half the price, no doubt a computer priced the same would have roughly 6+ GB of RAM WILL run faster. I don't care how well macs are able to manage RAM, it will come to a point where sheer power will trump efficiency. Also, you have to understand I'm just looking at things from a financial point of view. If you are looking for something to use photoshop, premier ect. Go ahead get a Mac. Though you have to realize the transition to use it is completely different. Areas where things are stored is much different imo then how/where it is on Windows PC's. Or just get a PC and install...LINUX!

Excuse me, but have you ever, ever, EVER even touched a Mac?
I've got a 10 year old PowerMac G4 running OS X 10.5, (which btw is the next to newest OS) and the thing is still snappier than my 5 year old hardly-touched PC running 7. It runs in circles around it.
And everybody I have ever known to use a Mac LOVED it, not like it, not meh it, LOVED it.
Mac OS X has eye candy, sure, but I find Aero Snap and the window buttons in Windows 7 more irritating than OS X.

Sure, you could get that PC for half the price, but it's also a very low quality PC. Windows takes a lot of stupid tweaking to get it to work right, you got drivers, you got your anti-virus to slow everything down while it doesn't do squat, and you have to do this horrible thing called defragging at least once a month to keep the thing fast, and it doesn't work that well.

Doctor Varney, get that Mac. Run out there and embrace it. Don't let the evil world of PCs chain you down.

You realize pretty much all programs running in windows are .exe files right?

MyAdobe Photoshop:
(check the screen shot)

Just sayin'
Obviously you don't know what you are talking about.

C4Radon

Obviously you don't know what you are talking about.

If I'm misinformed, can you quickly explain why I'm wrong or "don't know what I'm talking about". If I am wrong, I'd appreciate it if I was pointed in the right direction.
Thanks in advance

*As far as I know all programs are executed/ran by .exe's just take a look at your processes for example...*

Last edited:

lucasbytegenius

If I'm misinformed, can you quickly explain why I'm wrong or "don't know what I'm talking about". If I am wrong, I'd appreciate it if I was pointed in the right direction.
Thanks in advance

Because you are trying to demonstrate that .exe files do not run in OS X, which of course is ok, but you are trying to say that the program can't be found in other forms. You can find many alternatives to common programs, or like in PS CS5's case, even the same program for OS X.

C4Radon

Oh, sorry the way I worded what I was saying I think was a little misleading. First I stated you cant run exe's. The OP replied by saying that running an exe crashes his computer. I was just trying to inform him that he may be thinking of something else as if exe's didnt work, he couldn't use really any program including eexplorer.exe... Excuse me if you thought I meant that there arent alternatives. All I was really trying to state that
.exe files do not run in OS X
. At no point was I trying to imply that there aren't alternative to windows programs.

lucasbytegenius

Oh, sorry the way I worded what I was saying I think was a little misleading. First I stated you cant run exe's. The OP replied by saying that running an exe crashes his computer. I was just trying to inform him that he may be thinking of something else as if exe's didnt work, he couldn't use really any program including eexplorer.exe... Excuse me if you thought I meant that there arent alternatives. All I was really trying to state that . At no point was I trying to imply that there aren't alternative to windows programs.

Yes, it was misleading.

C4Radon

Also, to the OP, regardless of what you choose what are your general specifications/price range of what you want? Laptop, desktop, tablet (<- no idea why) but you should list some of these things. I have nothing to do for the next 4-ish days, and wouldn't mind helping you find a computer that fits your needs.

Doctor Varney

You realize pretty much all programs running in windows are .exe files right?

MyAdobe Photoshop:
(check the screen shot)

Just sayin'

Absolutely aware and always have been. Screenshot not necessary. Point is, you said "Can't run .exe files on a Mac". Normally, we do not think of running .exe files when we click on an icon, because that is unecessary to most tasks. Which is why I asked...

Dr. V

C4Radon

Ahhhh, excuse me again. Guess I have to be more specific next time, too much room for interpretation when dealing with simple text.

Doctor Varney

Oh, sorry the way I worded what I was saying I think was a little misleading. First I stated you cant run exe's. The OP replied by saying that running an exe crashes his computer. I was just trying to inform him that he may be thinking of something else as if exe's didnt work, he couldn't use really any program including eexplorer.exe... Excuse me if you thought I meant that there arent alternatives. All I was really trying to state that . At no point was I trying to imply that there aren't alternative to windows programs.

That is all perfectly reasonable. I respect your point of view and admire your attitude. I'm just saying that I'm aware that when you hit an icon, it runs the .exe under the surface but the meaningful part is that it starts up an application ready for use. Clicking on some .exes will cause the PC to warn/ ask you if you really want to do that. Sometimes it turns out to be a bad idea... Maybe it's best that the Mac doesn't let you 'go there'...?

I really don't want a technical discussion to turn into an argument, or for sure, the nearest mod will come in and close it all down, just while I'm beginning to learn something... If it's kept light hearted, it's a great discussion.

I know that what happens is simply that people get attached to what they use then feel personally challenged at the suggestion that what they don't have, might be better. They will defend it to the hilt. I know, I used to be that person. Macs are for girls and PCs are for geeks... it's all just talk. What counts is how efficiently you can spark up a machine, get a job done and get paid for it. I use computers all the time... and hate them all equally. I'm just tempted by the notion that a Mac might make life a bit easier, that's all. I'm probably never going to know that until I actually take the plunge...

Dr. V

Last edited:

Doctor Varney

Also, to the OP, regardless of what you choose what are your general specifications/price range of what you want? Laptop, desktop, tablet (<- no idea why) but you should list some of these things. I have nothing to do for the next 4-ish days, and wouldn't mind helping you find a computer that fits your needs.

That's really cool of you. Thanks! :good:

Dr. V

C4Radon

Oh yeah, another reason I was thinking of bringing up but didn't know how to word. Another reason I dislike Macs
Maybe it's best that the Mac doesn't let you 'go there'...?
Though if in the scenario where not opening the file would be the best option yes, this would be better. But I feel as though I shouldn't be restricted by an inanimate object that I paid for. I also have this problem with some antiviruses for example that restrict some files that may be false - positives *cough* 'McAfee' *cough*. But I think in the end it should be up to me whether the file should be opened/modified/removed ect. What I like about Windows computers is that I can do almost anything with no questions asked. Now of course this can lead to problems (as I'm sure you're vividly familiar with) which should def. be factored into your decision.

If I misinterpreted what you were saying ( again :/ ) excuse me in advance haha

"If I misinterpreted what you were saying excuse me in advance" <- this should totally be my signature

Doctor Varney

Oh yeah, another reason I was thinking of bringing up but didn't know how to word. Another reason I dislike Macs Though if in the scenario where not opening the file would be the best option yes, this would be better. But I feel as though I shouldn't be restricted by an inanimate object that I paid for. I also have this problem with some antiviruses for example that restrict some files that may be false - positives *cough* 'McAfee' *cough*. But I think in the end it should be up to me whether the file should be opened/modified/removed ect. What I like about Windows computers is that I can do almost anything with no questions asked. Now of course this can lead to problems (as I'm sure you're vividly familiar with) which should def. be factored into your decision.

If I misinterpreted what you were saying ( again :/ ) excuse me in advance haha

"If I misinterpreted what you were saying excuse me in advance" <- this should totally be my signature

Haha... Yes! I seem to remember these words as though I, myself had spoken them... of course, you know what a Mac user would say to that, don't you?

What I would say, after having thought about it - is YES - but the meaningful part of computing isn't running executables. No one talks about Norton Antivirus as though it were a wind-surfing holiday... "Hey, you'll never guess what we did this weekend... We flashed our BIOS and then we slayed some Trojans...!" No, what is meaningful is a hard copy or a website or a digital painting or a film we edited... Hopefully, without our operating system saying "So & so is experiencing a difficulty and needs to close..."

So having that freedom to "run executables..." I mean... what good is that out there in the real world? It's like a dog - he has the freedom to lick his bollocks - but it's not as much fun as chasing a stick. And of course... YOU can scratch YOUR balls through the pocket of your pants and everyone just assumes you're counting loose change. ;)

Mind you, I did do myself the courtesy of checking out an Apple Mac forum. Oh, they do have their own share of horror stories... So I'm not saying Macs are perfect, either.

Dr. V

Last edited:

Doctor Varney

I must add though... I think having a PC necessarily teaches people how to deal with problems, such as viruses and malware. Of course, one day, Macs will suffer too (some say they already are) then it's possible their users will get taken by surprise.

It strikes me, you dont' automatically become 'computer savvy' using a Mac. My PC is hand-organised. That is to say, I know where everything is and can get to it manually, without having to use a wizard or helper. It doesn't help that I don't excell in computer science (quite the contrary) but I can usually muddle my way through and at least know what questions to ask, when things go awry.

Dr. V

Okedokey

129115793545040623.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.