Can't get sound woking?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You could just have a dead sound chip. Not common but possible. If it really bothers you, rma the board for a new one. But it seems to me that there a lot of problems with onboard sound lately especially with the P5B series from ASUS. I got the P5B-E and had crackling with my onboard sound. So I have separate Turtle Beach card.

Kornowski

VIP Member
I suppose it could be, I'm going to try what I suggested in the last post and if that doesn't work then I'll buy a sound card. Thanks for the help though :)

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
My XP disc is SP2 and the drivers worked fine. I'd upload the ones I used (or find a download) but I wont be home until saturday night.

From the screen shot it looks like the hardware is active and detected by windows the driver just doesn't want to go. Have you tried these ones? (version 1.65) http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4902.html

Kornowski

VIP Member
Ok sure, Thanks a lot Cromewell.

Yeah, It is there and Windows does see it, but the drivers aren't having any of it.

Thanks, No, I haven't, I'll give them a go, Thanks.

Should I install the MS HD Audio thing off my CD and then the drivers from the link you showed me.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
The UAC or whatever? I remember installing something like that myself but it didn't seem to do anything (just popped up and was gone).

Have you tried installing them before you install any windows updates?

PC eye

banned
I've tried installing the Microsoft Driver and then the Realtek drivers...

Do you think you could upload the drivers some-where for me? Think they'd work?

Cromewell, sure, here it is:

untitledow1.jpg

Under "other devices" right click on the item and choose the update driver option. But let Windows run the search for a better set of drivers. It soumds like you are going after the wrong ones? The other devices suggest that drivers were never fully installed. Try right clicking and doing the same having Windows install those for you. You will probably be prompted for the XP installation cd there unless Windows puts them in on the spot.

The screen shot here shows the link for the 32bit drivers if you accidently downloaded the 64bit seen above those. If you clicked fast and didn't catch it then you probably downloaded the 64bit set initially. Also look over the other updates since those may take care of the other yellow marked items for you.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, the bottom link is only for UAA (which should be installed first according to the documentation). The top link is the actual driver and is for 32 and 64 bit systems

PC eye

banned
Kornowski probably needs the bus driver seen there along with the correct audio driver set. With just the audio set no results seen? He started to ask about that earlier in the thread but got side tracked a little.

This is right from Gigabyte there for that model. The page there also has the system bus and other updates to consider going for. Finding the bios setting at the default auto suggests a driver missing if not wrong version or bad chip?

As for not seeing the volume control on the Start menu's taskbar the properties menu in XP doesn't list a check box for it like you would for the clock or quick launch bar. Yet that was easy to see displayed in Vista as you can see in the image here. The taskbar is locked at the top of the display not bottom here. http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/4164/addingnewsatalv9.jpg fatdragon was wondering about that earlier.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Have you tried installing them before you install any windows updates?

No, I put SP2 and all the updates on and then installed them. Should I get rid of all the updates or just SP2? Or, put Windows back on?

Under "other devices" right click on the item and choose the update driver option. But let Windows run the search for a better set of drivers. It soumds like you are going after the wrong ones? The other devices suggest that drivers were never fully installed. Try right clicking and doing the same having Windows install those for you. You will probably be prompted for the XP installation cd there unless Windows puts them in on the spot.

It doesn't do anything, I've tried and it can't find anything, even when I put the CD in.

The top download has both the driver and the UAA Drivers, but Gigabyte's download speed is so slow, It'll take for-ever! :(

Kornowski probably needs the bus driver seen there along with the correct audio driver set. With just the audio set no results seen? He started to ask about that earlier in the thread but got side tracked a little.

I've tried that, when I put it on my computer goes unbelievibly slow, and often just locks up, I have to reset it all the time.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Well, I've just got rig of SP2 and downloaded and installed SP1 and then put the drivers on and nothing happened.

SO, as a last resort I'm going to try installing Windows again and then putting the drivers on straight away.

Was it the first thing you guys did after you'd got Windows on it?
I think I may of put them on after having SP2?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Not being able to think of/find anything else, I'd try installing all the drivers before you install any windows updates. You installed the INF drivers first right? I don't know if it would help or not but it's probably worth a shot
but Gigabyte's download speed is so slow
Are any of the tiwan manufacturers sites any faster? Asus' site is just as slow if not more so.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Yeah, I'm going to give that a go, it's worth a shot, It's what I should of done in the first place.

INF Drivers? I've installed the MS HD Driver and then the Realtek drivers, but it didn't work.

I don't know, I haven't come accross any of them. You think they'd have some decent servers to help out their customers :p

I'll put Windows on tomorrow night, I'm busy today and I'm in work tomorrow :(

Kornowski

VIP Member
I don't know, only what came with the motherboard CD and other sound drivers. Which one(s) off that page should I try?

EDIT: The one you linked me to, is it the one that is compatable with my motherboard?
Thanks

PC eye

banned
Since you don't have either SP1 or SP2 already stored on the drive you may want to download the full 266mb SP2 right to a folder from http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Windows-XP-SP2-RTM.shtml

You may have had the sound working without knowing it. Try assigning a sound to "popup menus" in the Control Panel like seen in the image here. http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/5789/menusoundhb4.jpg

Once you have a specific sound assigned to a click and easy feature like a simple right click on the desktop go to "Start>Programs>Accessories>Entertainment" and see if the volume level is up far enough and the sound mixer is set correctly. Also look over the software for sound provided to see if there's volume control there as well. Try right clicking the desktop a few times to see if you hear anything.

With the correct drivers in you should be hearing something at some point. That would at least show if the audio chip is good. Also look in the bios at auto and diable to see if there is a 3rd setting? I doubt it but auto usually means allowing an expansion card to be detected. With a clean install of Windows SP2 should have gone on without problems. This sounds more like a software problem where something either didn't go on good or you need to adjust one or more settings.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Just to let you guys know that I got the sound working, I just put Windows and SP1 on and then the drivers and it works, getting SP2 now :D

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Just to let you guys know that I got the sound working, I just put Windows and SP1 on and then the drivers and it works, getting SP2 now :D

If you still have problems after installing SP2, try slipstreaming SP2 into a new installation cd. Use a program called Autostreamer, works very well. Sometimes there are issues when updating to SP2 instead of installing it from the beginning.