cheap cpu

Penguin738

i am making a computer for World of Warcraft , and minecraft, and i was wondering if this cpu will run them smoothly.i am using this gpu:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161403

and using this cpu with it

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116409
i was going to get the Pentium g630, but my budget restricted it to this. Will this work? If really necessary, i can upgrade to the pentium g630, but i'de like to stick with the celeron to stay in budget.

wolfeking

banned
it should just be a downcocked pentium, thus should do about the same thing. I had the budget for more, but with Ivy right around the corner I did not see the point.

Anyway, you will not have to upgrade right away.

Penguin738

Yeah, that's what i figured, eventually when i have more money, ill upgrade to an i3 ivy bridge, but for now, i don't have enough for a new one anyways so ill use a cheap one.

jonnyp11

get a 6770 or 5770, onlt difference really is power consumption and the 5 and 6770's are the same performance or better

jonnyp11

what psu are you getting?

and why do you want low power? using that might save you like 1 dollar a month max, and i think that's way over, it's more like 10 cents or so i think max.

Last edited:

Penguin738

i was going to use a 300W with the 7750, before that, i was going to use a 400W or 500W with the radeon 6770.. u sure it saves that little? running 8ish hours a day?

wolfeking

banned
in our state, assuming I am reading it right, then a 500Watt PSU cost $.22 per 2 hours to run. A 300 watt would cost $.22 per 3.3 hours to run. So you are not saving much.

jonnyp11

actually i did the math and it looks like 10 bucks a month off the numbers you said and the 8hrs/d, ~16 vs. ~26.

But i was more saying what psu are you looking to buy? And also those numbers are running max the whole time, pretty sure they drop down the power when they aren't being stressed don't they?

Penguin738

is the radeon 6770 much better then the 7750? from what i saw(on a comparison), it uses half the power, and is only a little worse, but half the power usage

Penguin738

here's a few more questions too, wolf, you linked a usb WiFi thing on my other forum, but if i dont have a LAN card, whats a good card and adaptor/receiver?(i'm 50ish feet and 5 walls from my modem), also, would it be better to go AMD, or should i stick with my current Intel setup?And if anyone wants to show me a good Amd setup for under 500(windows 7 must be included) without tax/shipping, that'd be cool, so i could compare the two

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
I would stay with Intel, they are faster and you will have far better upgrade potential.

With that wifi adapter I linked you do not need anything but a USB port to use it. You should be good at 50 feet, but you might just want to get a 100' ethernet cable, will cost a little more, but will be faster at those distances.

You don't need a LAN card. It is integrated into the motherboard.

Penguin738

oh ok, so get a 100ft Ethernet?
and will my computer bottleneck with the celeron g630 and the radeon 6770? oh, and i looked at my modem yesterday(just because) and there's all the different ports that look like Ethernet, but their different colored... are they different ports? or just so you can color code your systems if needed?
and on the AMD vs Intel for my setup. you said the Intel is faster and more upgradable, but i probably won't upgrade for years, and want the best possible system for now, and for 80$ you can get a much faster processor with AMD then Intel.... From what I've seen, Intel isn't better until the 120$ price range.

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
I am not sure on yours. I know on my modem, there is a dedicated port for upload (I guess for a server or something) and 3 that can do computer to computer or computer to internet. They are clearly labeled.

What model modem do you have? That will help us to help you.

The Celeron g530 (I assume thats what you mean) probably will bottleneck the 6770 a little, but not a noticeable amount.

Penguin738

never mind, my modem says which one is for Ethernet.. is there only one? or do i use the computer to internet or whatever?
If i am not going to upgrade for a long time (as long as it lives, or like 3-4 years), i think AMD is better performance in my price range