cheap cpu

Benny Boy

A couple ?'s about the upgrade potential is, /what would its future use be/ and what components would require upgrades/ from the current specs?
Whatever else you upgrade, you'll still have that $50 Biostar and you'll be adding $100 to the cost of whatever other mb you upgrade to.

jonnyp11

in like 2 or 3 years that processor won't do much in gaming, the gpu might be able to scrape by at medium resolutions though. you'll prob want to upgrade the processor at least at some point, or just sell it in 2 years and restart.

jonnyp11

Don't know which one your talking about. The Pentium and the Athlon II are both being phased out.

oops, was looking at the last page when i posted, but really it applies to both sorta, they are both fairly week even for today's main-stream games

Benny Boy

Here's an AMD and I'm going to test your budget only because you inquired about an ssd for 35^ and you've mentioned an $80 cpu. I don't know what your budget is based on. Amount you want to spend, amount you can spend, or a prebuilt comparisom. And I'm not asking because it doesn't matter. I'm just putting this here to give you options.
Only $5 more than the other one(no mir tho),it comes with 2 fans, and it's Lian Li.
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K57 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Plenty of power with this Corsair, 10 off instantly, has a 20 mir, and the combo on this nice ASRock 970 mb saves another 15.
CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

For it's price/potential, and a speedy performer.
AMD Athlon II X3 450 Rana 3.2GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX450WFGMBOX

W/ good A-Data 1600 memory.
HIS H685FN1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

Or this which is a bit better.
EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1363-KR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video ...

Penguin738

my budget cant go up at all.. so what do you guys reccomend? as a final build? 400 dollars for the parts(the other 100 was taken away for win.7)
And should i get a Intel pentium or that 3.3Ghz AMD?

Last edited:

Penguin738

i want this to be able to run games on normal to high settings for 2 years, nothing else is required. and get the most performance possible now, and i hope to not upgrade this computer for 3ish years, when i will just get a higher budget and start from scratch.

wolfeking

banned
if you are going to start from scratch then, then just go AMD now. I won't guarantee max on your games now or then, but it will be closer than the intel probably. You can overclock it some and be better.

wolfeking

banned
a 6770 or 5770. maybe a GTX550ti I think they are around the same price.

yes, I think it will, but anything in this price range will. You can add 100 to the budget by using windows 8 CP instead of 7. Runs about the same, but may have some bugs. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/iso
With that 100 you go go back to intel and get an i3-2100 and you would be far ahead of the AMD offerings.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157246
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115078

with windows 8 you are still $5 ahead from your original build. And upgradability to ivybridge when you want to upgrade in the future.

wolfeking

banned
windows 8. Its the next not so great windows. And I will have to check it out, but I never had any GPU driver issues. Again, been a while since I checked it.

MyCattMaxx

Windows 8 is free as a consumer preview (Beta), I have been using it since it was released.
It will deactivate in January if I remember right.
I had to use older Vista 64 bit drivers for my vid card.
Many are complaining about lack of drivers right now.

Penguin738

when is the full version coming out? and either way ill just stick with win.7 because i have win.xp now, and im upgrading it.