cheap cpu

Penguin738

what do u guys think about my setup? should i go intel or AMD for my setup?and please post any decent setups you can find.

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
Intel. AMD. It's all up to you. AMD will look fast. Intel is fast. But again up to you.

The pros for AMD is that you get a slim chance of unlocking to a better processor, but that is risky and probably not going to happen on a cheap board, and you can easily overclock it. If you are fairly new to computers and looking for 100% stability, then these do not matter in the least.

Intel is faster IPC. meaning that a 1MHz intel (sandybridge single core) will do more than a 1MHz AMD (Athlon 2, Phenom 2, or FX single core).

Benny Boy

^ After a decent ps, and the 2nd fan that that case needs, its going to be $560 out the door and has a $20 mir.
should i go intel or AMD for my setup?and please post any decent setups you can find.
This is $570 out the door. It has $40 in rebates and a $10 GC. When the rebates come back, you could sell the 6770 , add the $50 to it, and get a bigger gpu.

AMD Athlon II X3 450 Rana 3.2GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX450WFGMBOX
Should be able to easily oc to 3.5 or more on the stock cooler. Even if it doesn't make it to x4, it still has 3 cores and pretty sure that will come in handy in raids.

ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Good board for the $. Latest chipsets/socket + Corsair CX500 makes it ready for gpu upgrade.

GIGABYTE GV-R677D5-1GD Radeon HD 6770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAB

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

LG DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH24NS90 - OEM

HEC Blitz Black Steel Edition ATX Mid Tower Computer Chassis Gaming Case w/ Front Blue LED 120mm Fan & Top 120mm Fan
The Lian Li Lancool PC-57K is a lot more than $10 better.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

Either way, Intel or AMD, you could nickel and dime this down a bit but I don't think it's worth the performance loss. For $500/sub $500 you should look at the used market.

Last edited:

Penguin738

No, Celeron CPU won't do. You need i3 for normal gaming.
I am only going to run World of Warcraft, and minecraft..World of warcraft is super easy for computers to run, and Minecraft will do fine with the 8gb ram.
And thats why i wanna go with AMD, it will be a good processor for the same price as the intel.

Penguin738

Cant i just use this mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138293
and ddr3 1333 ram? i know the one you posted is better for upgrading, but when this computer needs upgrading, i will probably go Intel.. And hasn't AMD announced thier going to stop making processors soon? so what would be the point in going over budget to upgrade in the future, if theres not going to be any available upgrades for that brand? And this computer can't go over $500 before shipping/tax.And, ill go with that case you posted, because its $10 more, and comes with top fan included, making it about the same price...( and it looks cool)

jonnyp11

where'd you hear that, they have stopped making all phenom II processors, a.k.a., last generation processors, same way as when ivy comes out intel will stop making the sandy bridge processors. And the next gen/revision of FX processors which i believe are coming out like this summer, should be better than the current ones, i think they might equal the power of sandies, not gonna say ivies though.

Penguin738

Wolf, on a forum i made about an internet question, you said i should get the WiFi adapter you got.I forgot to mention/ask a few things.I am 50 ft(50 ft Ethernet wouldn't fit) from my modem, 5 walls in between? And everyone says only go with WiFi if your on a laptop, but mines a desktop, and it doesn't have a LAN(or the internet connection) card. So should i get a WiFi adapter(usb), or a 100 ft Ethernet cable, and do either of them require me to buy one of those LAN or whatever their called cards(the one for the internet)?

Penguin738

But, i still need to keep it under $500, and i'de rather have a decent non upgradeable computer in that budget, than a more expensive Mobo that's upgradeable.So will that motherboard work with my setup? Ill post what i was thinking for a final setup in a few minutes.

jonnyp11

the thing is, not only is the mobo more upgradeable, but also more reliable, higher quality, and has better support and warranties. Also, for the internet, a ethernet cord should be a lot faster at that distance and more reliable too (and are you sure you ain't got one, pretty sure every mobo made in the past like 15 years has one), but most people recommend a pci/pci-e x1 wifi card for a more reliable and powerful connection, although most modern usb dongles still work fine.

jonnyp11

what city/state are you in? or you could just check microcenter.com, they have good cpu/mobo combo deals and all, and their ram is pretty cheap too.

I got a phenom x4 960t, a decent but lower end gigabyte am3+ mobo together for 110 (and 10 rebat, mobo ends up free) and 8gb's of 1333 ram, and a 60gb ocz agility 3 ssd for just under 260, then i had a decent cheap case and a corsait tx750 already, then stuck windows 8 on for free. actually trying to sell it for ~430 in the for sale section and you can't build it for that little anywhere else or even at there now since that promo ended.

Last edited:

Penguin738

i wanted to get everything from newegg though, because thats the only computer brand my dad agrees with(for now), so unless its a super good deal, i want it to be on newegg

Penguin738

when i put my build together, it ended up 600 dollars total...could i put a 6670 instead of the 6770, and a dual core vs the triple core? how much would the performance go down?

jonnyp11

for the games you named a dual core would work fine and a 6670 should do fine.

and it's a bit of a drive but if you're going that way anytime soon

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=napa,...code_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CEUQ8gEwAA

and actually the deal is still running and 10 bucks less!! But it's outa stock there, but the fx-4100 and the asus is still cheaper and faster, add a cooler master hyper 212+ for 30 and you could easily hit about 4.5ghz i think.

http://www.microcenter.com/specials/promotions/AMDbundlePROMO.html

Penguin738

i dont think i'de be able to drive anywhere for it, ill try tho. If i cant, any good newegg setups you can find for those games.the same price, 500 without tax/shipping, must include win.7