Check out my pc's and lmk what u think and what else i should do

djdevynator

wow alot of posts came up when i was gone, but ya idk if im even going to change the ribon cables, i think i might stop here and start building my new pc from scratch and trick out that case.

djdevynator

today i went to the computer fair in pomona and got a few things. got a gig of ram, so now i have 1.25gig of ram, heat sinks for my ram, and a new ati heatsink with fan for my graphics cards. i will post new pics tommorrow

PC eye

banned
When you bought the memory was it a single 1gb dimm or two 512s? If they are they are two 512s to run on in dual channel mode a single dimm for each channel will see the better perfomance then mixing sizes. This would even more important if the new memory was dual sided while the 256mb was a single sided dimm. They certainly wouldn't work well together there if they are different type.

PC eye

banned
Which case was this put in? From your initial sig one case was already running 1.25gb of ram.
Dell 2400:
XP Home
Celeron at 2.40GHz(want to upgrade)
1.25 gigs of ram just put in with black heatsinks(might make to 2 gigs)
Maxtor 40gig
Western Digital 80gig
Sony DVD drive
Sony CD Burner drive
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy LS
ATI Radeon Visiontek Xtasy 9250 graphics card(new heatsink with fan)
Many lazers, cathodes, and other LED's added

Dell XPS T600(was a t500):
XP Home
P3 600MHz
272MB or ram(want 512)
25gigs(want to add more)
Lite-on DVD drive
NVIDIA Riva TNT graphics card
Aureal Vortex 8820 sound card

PC eye

banned
I going to note that the older case wouldn't even accept a 1gb dimm like a good number of older AMD Atholon boards Once the boards supported the XP line you could run a larger then 512mb dimm. Now you can look at 2gb dimms for some of the boards that max at 8gb total ram. But even most gamers will ever need over 2gb.

PC eye

banned
You should have grabbed 2 instead of one 1gb dimms at the show. That would have seen that already done. You wouldn't need the 256mb any longer. When you eventually move into a new build you will want a matched pair of dimms(DDR, DDR2) to see the better performance in the dual channel mode.

djdevynator

ya, i didnt grab two gigs cause i didnt know if my board supported 2 or not, and i didnt want to get one and not use it. but the lady gave me their card and said i can get another if i wanted. so i think thats what ill do.

PC eye

banned
You should be able to get that information right off of Dell's product site if they still have the model listed or at the support site for specifications. But one is certain with one look at the review on that model. It won't be worth spending the money boosting a 266mhz/333mhz fsb machine by increasing the memory if the board is a single channel model only. The review on the Dell 2400 can be read at http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1610

djdevynator

ya it does support 2gigs, i found out from another site. but ill probally just go to the computer fair next time its on(2 months) and buy a whole custom build pc. they have tons of them over there.

junwang0808

UM dude your computers are totaly outdated ! those kind of computer u could get it for lesser than 1k maybe even below 800 bucks

PC eye

banned
I run 2gb of Kingston value ram on the 4gb board here without issues. Even if you had gone with a pair 512mb dimms instead of a single 1gb you would have seen a difference especially on a dual channel board where a single channel only will simply total the installed ram. Right now if you are running in dual channel mode(provided the dimms are in the specified slots) you are running 1gb on the primary channel and 256mb on the secondary. The system bios will easily total all memory installed. With the second 1gb dimm installed you should notice an even larger performance gain having two identical dimms inplace 1gb for each channel when in the dual channel mode.

Here some 195mb of ram is chewed up by the board before even starting a program. You noticed a big difference when boosting ram there by providing plenty of available ram for games and other programs. Enabling the dual channel mode with two 1gb dimms will see the added gain there. If those are PC3200 DDR400 dimms hang onto them even when upgrading later. Surprisingly there are plenty of Socket 939 boards that will run that memory. Of course going with an AM2 or other DDR2 type board will see you buying that type of memory sometime. When going to buy a board when upgrading look over the specifications to see what type and how much ram it runs. That will avoid any confusion. The user's manual or online support would give you the max memory the board will run as well.

PC eye

banned
When you decide on a make and model board for that new build you will be faced with the memory that will go on it alright. Since you are running PC2700 dimms note that there are some Socket 939 models that will run that slow of memory. Most of those boards even run AGP instead of PCI-Express type cards as well. Personally I may end up running DDR2 on a board with an Opteron cpu while this one can run upto an FX60 without problems. But I'll be looking at durability rather then speed alone.

PC eye

banned
No problem here. I will looking at more then Asus boards on the next build for a few different reasons there although I never had problems with their boards until seeing a few things lately. MSI was one alternative being looked at. They seem to have an edge over DFI and Abit at times.